tuscl

Fave bands!

zipman68
the speed force!
My post about Zevon in response to Mikey's about Stones vs Zep got me thinking about less well-known artists folks like. Who do you dig that isn't Stones/Zep/Who level of fame.

I'll start with a beautiful number from the Strangler's

The Stranglers - Golden Brown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7R7q1lSZfs

You wouldn't think a band calling themselves the strangles would have produced as eclectic set of songs as they did. Really great songwriters.

10 comments

• londonguy
    10 years ago
    zipman, I saw The Stranglers when they were supporting Simple Minds and they were fantastic, probably better than Simple Minds in fact.
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    Hawkwind...heavy metal space music...but nobody seems to know them
  • zipman68
    10 years ago
    Pretty obscure Mikey dude, and pretty coo-el. Heavy metal...coo-el. Space music...coo-el. So coo-el squared.

I have actually heard of Hawkwind. I dig that they had Michael Moorcock write one of their songs.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO4iKnwA6hw

Though they do veer uncomfortably close to Spinal Tap at times. You almost expect to see the bassist stuck in some kind of pod while the roadies try to force it open.
  • ime
    10 years ago
    I prefer Motorhead to Hawkwind, but the song Motorhead was a Hawkwind song.

As far as favorite bands I will stick with the English theme and say The Business, Cockney Rejects, Booze and Glory, and most important of all Cock Sparrer. Shock Troops by Cock Sparrer is one of my five albums I would take if stuck on an island.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    I like Mötorhead too!
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    Also, Lemmy played bass for Hawkwind before playing with Motorhead
  • ime
    10 years ago
    ^^^yessir and anyone interested in Lemmy needs to see the documentary on him. It was really done well.
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    I will also throw in Captain Beyond. Early 70's band (best era ever), composed of ex-Deep Purple, ex-Johnny Winters, and ex-Iron Butterfly members.
  • farmerart
    10 years ago
    How about the Dave Clark 5? Damn good 1960s British group who knew when to pack it in and live a comfortable life.
  • rockstar666
    10 years ago
    Solitude Aternus, Crack The Sky, Earthen Grave.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion