tuscl

OT:Stones or Zeppelin?

Sunday, May 18, 2014 12:31 AM
Just got home from a crazy party. Everything was gravy until a Rolling Stones vs Led Zeppelin conversation took a turn to the land where the ice and snow happens.

23 comments

• Clubber
    10 years ago
    Stones. Longevity, if no other reason.
  • tumblingdice
    10 years ago
    #1 Stones #2 Zeppelin #3 Talking Heads The Stones pure sexuality,contempt and bluesy grittiness have made them my fave since I was a swamper in N.J. You got to roll me and call me the Tumblingdice.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    Yup. Stones for their longevity and total body of work. One can argue for Zep because of certain individual songs, but look at the big picture.
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the Stones support.
  • zipman68
    10 years ago
    Actually a more complicated question, Slick my man... Stones did some of the best albums in rock -- ever -- pre-Dirty Work. Not sure why they still make new studio albums though. Pale imitations since. The death of Bonham and breakup of Zep opened the door for Plant, Page, and Jones to do different stuff. But where do the Who fit in?
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    Who?
  • crazyjoe
    10 years ago
    I got in trouble throwing stones
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    I found myself listening to Zep more often. Both bands put on some of the greatest shows ever. @Dice...where did the Stones get their name?
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    Zep did come up with one of the greatest rock and roll songs ever... "Rock and Roll"
  • jester214
    10 years ago
    Much as I like Zeppelin, Rolling Stones hands down.
  • tumblingdice
    10 years ago
    @Mikey The name came from the song Rollin Stone by bluesman Muddy Waters. It was funny,the other night I was in a club and this stripper who was drinking gin and red bull was drunk out of her mind and trying to get me to take her to the Champagne Room.All of a sudden the lyrics from Honky Tonk woman popped into my head. I met a gin soaked bar room queen in Cola. She tried to take me upstairs for a ride.
  • umissedaspot
    10 years ago
    Zeps win for creating a bunch of untouchable, thundering godlike songs and then getting out. Longevity is the biggest strike against the Stones. It's supposed to be rock n roll, not mummification. If they'd hung up their spandex 35-40 years ago, before the rot set in and they became a joke, it would be different.
  • ime
    10 years ago
    I probably prefer Led Zeppelin a little more. My problem with them is how many songs they ripped off from old blues guys. Not borrow but totally ripped off. I heard a whole segment on Howard Stern years ago and it played the original blues or lesser known artist song and then a Led Zeppelin song and it was clear that it was ripped off.
  • ime
    10 years ago
    found this on youtube [view link]
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    It's kind of like debating who is prettier Kate Upton or Mila Kunis
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    ^^^You should hear the ruckus on Youtube music videos when they debate something like...who's better?...Ozzy or Dios?
  • steve229
    10 years ago
    "It's kind of like debating who is prettier Kate Upton or Mila Kunis" @moto - you're kidding me, right?
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    Lol
  • londonguy
    10 years ago
    There's no doubting the Stones were/are great but IMHO Led Zep were a better band in every department. I know an English guy that saw them at their first ever live concert I the U.S. Led Zep and Pink Floyd, the best !!
  • CarlosDanger
    10 years ago
    Both were great but the Stones were better. Beggars Banquet/Let it Bleed/Exile/Sticky Fingers was the greatest sequence of albums by any rock band ever. Unfortunately they've been mostly coasting ever since.
  • farmerart
    10 years ago
    My choice?......Rolling Stones. I can't get no satisfaction from Led Zeppelin.
  • Rabbit21
    10 years ago
    Stones, but that's driven by a preference for short, sweet, to the point Rock n' Roll with a little swagger. I like Zeppelin as well but not as much. I think the problem is Stones fans are willing to acknowledge both bands are great they just like one better than the other. Zeppelin fans take it weirdly personally that you don't like Zeppelin better and act like you have to be re-educated. It's weird and annoying.
  • ReadyPayerOne
    10 years ago
    Led Zeppelin
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion