tuscl

Why Do Strippers Strip

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)

A pretty honest and to the point thread from a dancer on SW; IMO.

From SW – “dancing spoiled me for the 9-5 grind. anyone relate?”

i started bartending and dancing to get through school; i majored in dance and also took business classes just for my own interests. I kept dancing for a few years after graduating - there are definitely downsides to club dancing obviously, but WOW do i miss the autonomy. Making my own schedule and hours, working 3 nights a week and having loads of free time to work on my own projects (choreographing, practicing, putting shows together with local companies...), working with my circadian rhythms (i'm a night owl)...

Then the money started going downhill with the recession and all. I got to the point where it just wasn't working financially anymore. everyone was pushing me to go back to school for "something practical". so i went back and got a nursing degree. holy crap, i do not know how people survive in jobs like this. obviously i'm spoiled. i cannot stand following silly corporate policies that make no sense, reporting to a boss every day, having someone else tell me when to work, working 40 hours a week, getting up at the buttcrack of dawn, and having no energy or time left over for what's important to me. Even worse than all that is knowing that I'm breaking my back to make someone else rich. There's no opportunity for more. It's so NOT motivating to know that i can never make more than $x per hour no matter what. One thing i liked about dancing was challenging myself to hit $ goals every night, pushing myself to see how much I could make.

am i alone in this, or has dancing spoiled anyone else here? I'm starting on a business experiment now and am energized about it in a way that I never am about going to work for someone else and doing a job that bores me.

https://www.stripperweb.com/forum/showth…

24 comments

• mjx01
    11 years ago
    Easy money.

The "there's no opportunity for more" comment is actually quite poignant. It's really a "matrix" economy anymore. The illusion of opportunity (choice) is there and most in the economy (matrix) accept the illusion even though it's not real. Only the "merovingians" (currupt, politically well connected for example) and "neos" of the world are able to come out ahead.
  • Clackport
    11 years ago
    I agree with my man mjx. It's easy money. All they have to do is cling on to the older customers. Shit some of the older customers pay them hundreds of dollars just to have conversation with them.
  • bang69
    11 years ago
    1. easy money

2. support their drug habit

3. support their kids

4. pay for school

5. pay of debits
  • shadowcat
    11 years ago
    Papi - What's with all of these stripperweb posts lately? Bored?
  • Papi_Chulo
    11 years ago
    ^ Yeah – “man I’m just tired and bored with myself … “you can’t start a fire; you can’t start a fire w/o a spark”

Anybody recognize the reference?

Yeah – shadow – seems as if TUSCL has been a bit slow lately w.r.t. posts so I’d thought I’d check out SW
  • bubba267
    11 years ago
    BRUUUUCCCE
  • sclvr5005
    11 years ago
    They strip for the same reason that we all work. Money. But without an education or any marketable skills stripping is pretty much all that some are qualified to do.
  • trixxi
    11 years ago
    whats w.r.t. ???
  • shadowcat
    11 years ago
    with regards to.
  • trixxi
    11 years ago
    thank you!!!!
  • jackslash
    11 years ago
    Having worked in corporate jobs most of my life, I sympathize with the writer. She says it very well:

"i do not know how people survive in jobs like this. obviously i'm spoiled. i cannot stand following silly corporate policies that make no sense, reporting to a boss every day, having someone else tell me when to work, working 40 hours a week, getting up at the buttcrack of dawn, and having no energy or time left over for what's important to me."
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    I can sum it up. She was born with the stripper gene.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    @MJX-Merovignian? To my knowledge, they were the original French kings before the Carolignians took over.

This stripper sounds like a drug dealer friend of mine who went square. Especially the part about challenging themselves to make more money than the next day.

The real world sucks and is painful. Maybe that's why man invented religion.
  • AnonymousJim
    11 years ago
    Fascinating.

I feel like the strip club is one of the few places where we can feed or only real, hard-wired desires in life. I think we're all hard-wired for really just a few things: A want for food, clothing and comfortable shelter (to survive), a want to have sex/be sexual (theoretically for reproduction, but we've been able to limit that part) and a want to sleep (so we're at our strongest when needed to fight off others for the necessities and the chance to have sex). That's all we really want.

The club gets rid of the pretenses. Here's something I really want for something you really want. Perhaps the only thing I really want since I can get all the necessities myself, but I myself don't have awesome boobs, ergo, I need someone else to provide them for me. So, I'll give you cash so you can provide yourself and yours with the necessities in exchange for you giving me the one thing I can't give myself. Seems so simple and sensible that I almost don't get why folks who think it out would have any problem with it whatsoever. (Darn moralists, monogamists, etc., not getting it.)

For those who get it, and are OK with that, I feel like they've reached another, higher plane of existence. A better oneness with themselves and their distilled-down needs such that they see how, on the whole, all this is about is making people, yourself included, happy.

Good on this dancer for "getting it." I do what I do, do it well to get more cash, do it in as little time as I have to, then get out to do what I want. Sounds pretty awesome.

Explain to me how this is bad in any way? Why we should stigmatize this? Because some folks are uncomfortable with the idea that they don't get to selfishly have one person all too themselves for sex and money? I don't get it sometimes.
  • deogol
    11 years ago
    She should realize what her customers do all week for that three minute dance... nah, she won't ever figure that out!
  • Lone_Wolf
    11 years ago
    @AnonymousJim - great post
  • Lone_Wolf
    11 years ago
    Truly, it must be hell for these dancers to go into the real world and try and make a living.

Imagine transitioning to some dead-end low paying job doing boring menial shit knowing you could easily make in an hour at the SC what would take three days in the shit job. It would be torture. The easy cash would be like an addiction.

• steve229
    11 years ago
    One of my early favs tried to switch to a regular 9-5 job as a receptionist, stuck it out for a year, then came back to the club.
  • farmerart
    11 years ago
    Laziness and easy money - that is why strippers strip.

Cry me a river about boring jobs, no opportunities, hard ass bosses, etc.

Hard work and self discipline create amazing opportunities for any person willing to make the effort.

Has anybody ever met a stripper with an attention span longer than that of an amoeba?
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    $$$$!!
  • georgmicrodong
    11 years ago
    "Why do strippers strip?"

Because most of her clothes are too nice to *cut* off every time she wants to get naked.
  • Papi_Chulo
    11 years ago
    Not at all Mr. Juice – I was just using TUSCL to commend some of the great opinions of the SW ladies.
  • rh48hr
    11 years ago
    Everyone has to find something they enjoy doing and then going to work is not a "job". You have to find something that provides fulfillment in your life and hopefully it's something you can do for as long as you want. Not everyone can find that and not all jobs pay the bills.
  • bvino
    11 years ago
    I was a bartender for a long time and it was very hard to give up the life. Even with my newly minted B.A's (that's right-two at a time)I could not make more money nor did I have ahandful of cash at the end of every day. I did't and don't use drugs and had no habits to support (unless you count tuition). I stll miss it. There are very few jobs where you can immediatley asesss your performance.When I did a good job at the bar i made money. At my current( MBA, well paid,) professional position I get paid whether I work or not. It is more lucrative but much less satisfying. Lighting people up was fun and I can see how strippers can get hooked on the life. It beats working and I know.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion