tuscl

How much do you hate ice storms or freezing rain?

I don't like it when the lights start flickering or go out. I remember after one ice storm in the Greenville SC area, whole blocks or towns were pitch dark 2 weeks after a bad ice storm. I drove through the area on the way to a strip club not even realizing that I was driving right through intersections that had traffic lights until I saw I was already in the intersections.

I'm hoping the media is overhyping this coming ice storm.

32 comments

• lopaw
    11 years ago
    Ice storm?
    Freezing rain?
    What's that?
  • fun12times12
    11 years ago
    We are expecting upwards of .5-.75" tomorrow. According to news .25 of ice causes power outages. I guess we all gonna die. I agree though hope it's just a bunch of media hype.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    Lol, no ice storms in southern California? You're missing all the fun. I got to take a day of vacation Tommorrow since no one else is working. That is except for all the people from the arctic tundra visiting that may not have figured out that the way they treat roads around here, the roads may be solid ice.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    The last storm though, I think my local town dumped so much salt and sand, it is still all over the cars.
  • mjx01
    11 years ago
    Snow can be dealt with (shovel or plow)
    With ice you are just f-ed... the grid goes down, travel is impossible.
  • Clackport
    11 years ago
    Ice, snow, freezing rain, I hate all that shit... We just had it in Portland a few days ago and it completely shut down the city.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the gift. I heard the guys on the weather channel say it was related to the same weather system.

I think we are only supposed to get 6 or 8 hours of freezing rain and the rest of the day will be snow or sleet. I don't know, if .5 inches of freezing rain falls on all that, maybe it won't be too bad. I can always say I've seen worse because I have.
  • shadowcat
    11 years ago
    I'm hunkered down. Just wish I had a couple of strippers with me. LOL.
  • tumblingdice
    11 years ago
    Ice,Ice Baby.
  • Super_Mane
    11 years ago
    Yes in a few short years I'm moving further south ...I'm looking at southern Florida, Texas or Southern California
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    I got weather channel reporters to the north, south and east of me.

I got woke up by the sleet noise. Now mostly snow again. I might as well cover the area in between.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    The local station is forecasting a few inches of snow and over an inch of ice. Hopefully that is mostly sleet and not freezing rain. I'm hearing local reports that thousands are without power already in Atlanta. I'm glad I don't live there. They must not get much ice there ever.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    Up north, ice storms are relatively rare.

We get snow. Sometimes lots of it. At worst, you're stuck in your home for a day. Ice storms can leads to days or even weeks of power outages. That's rough.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    It's like a nuclear winter out there. Heavy snow coating everything. Not a sound either. I hear no birds, no trucks, no cars. Ahh, now I hear a truck. It's probably a salt or sand truck. They don't come down the secondary roads though.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    We seem to get ice storms every few years where I live. If the power companies routinely trim trees back away from power lines which they do in my area, it's not bad if the ice doesn't accumulate too much on the trees. If it accumulates on the roads and tree branches real bad. Branches droop way down or break, power goes out, back several years ago trees went down all over the greenville area. Power was out to whole towns for over 2 weeks. I think the thickest I've seen the freezing rain get was one inch thick when I lived in Raleigh. Then there was 6 inches of sleet on top of that. I couldn't even get inside my car with a one inch solid ice coating.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    A grown couple in my area built an 8 to 9 foot snow man yesterday. I never saw one so tall and big. Well I did build one probably similar when I was younger. I was working yesterday.
  • ATACdawg
    11 years ago
    I'm looking to get the snow removal contract for the British Virgin Islands. I'm not looking to work very hard.

All I have to do is convince them they need it.
  • Tiredtraveler
    11 years ago
    Rather have snow. Like said before snow you can plow out of the way.
  • skibum609
    11 years ago
    We're skiers so the worse the weather is, the more likely it is that we're out driving in it. All wheel drive and years of experience make it safe and as long as you allow extra time you don't even notice the losers out there who cannot drive. .25" of ice around here is meaningless. In December '08 we got two inches of ice which took down 11 trees in our yard, two falling on my car and one on my neighbors brand new car.
  • sofaking87
    11 years ago
    It's not a big deal for us, we get them from time to time. We just make sure we have enough salt.
  • magicrat
    11 years ago
    That ice shit is bad shark. Just supposed to be snow up her in the mountains, but a lot of it. If it's a heavy snow a lot of pine trees will break and fall over power lines. Last big one I was out of power for 3 days. Like Shadowcat, I'm hunkered in.
  • GoVikings
    11 years ago
    We're expecting bad weather in my area as well. I'm actually happy about it because it's going to delay this test that I'm suppose to have tomorrow.

Thanks to the weather I won't have the test until Tuesday. :)
  • jester214
    11 years ago
    Snow started coming down pretty hard here about an hour ago and is supposed to go all day. As soon as it started I left work. I don't mind driving in it but the other people are what worry me.
  • shadowcat
    11 years ago
    Lost power from 7:30-11:30 and didn't get my internet/phone back until 2PM. I just went back to bed. LOL.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    My lights flickered but I thought it was sleeting and very little freezing rain in my area. That's after about 4 to 5 inches of snow this morning.

Roads are full of ice. I went out walking in it. I seem to not want to do my taxes very bad today. I guess no pressure. I worked on something else that needed to be done.

I turned on the weather channel for a minute. They are funny. They said traffic in Raleigh was only moving 12 to 80 feet an hour. The guy doesn't know what he is talking about. Then they show the only spot in Charlotte that might have a traffic snarl and it looked like maybe 100 cars on the interstate due to a wreck and they are trying to compare it to Atlanta's traffic mess.

The remote controlled snow removal robot they showed in Greenville, SC looked cool. He could probably sell a few of those up north. It appeared on the Weather Channel this morning.
  • jester214
    11 years ago
    Some areas of Raleigh are that bad. I've been talking off and on with a lady I know who has been on the road for 5+ hours.

I'm very thankful I made the choice to cut out as soon as it started.
  • steve229
    11 years ago
    Snow supposed to hit DC soon; I won't be seeing my fav tonite :(
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    It sounds like it is pouring down sleet now. This is one long storm if you add in yesterday's snow.

I heard it was almost 60 in Sochi. Watch them get snow after the Olympics. I'm ready for a rapid melt down here.

I think there is some slush under the ice on the road in spots. If the temp drops below 20, I think that will freeze up hard. It might do that Tommorrow night. Sounds like someone is throwing small rocks and sand at my windows. It's supposed to end here soon. This is the most snow I've seen here in probably about 9 or 10 years. I prefer sleet to freezing rain. Only had a little bit of that.
  • Papi_Chulo
    11 years ago
    Perhaps we should have a convention in warm TJ

Speaking of TJ – where is SlickSpic today?
  • deogol
    11 years ago
    Eh. You guys don't know about snow until you have lived where they don't have plows, they have sno go...
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    We got lucky, no pole dancers needed^ in my immediate area. It was mainly snow and sleet. I still have over a half foot of ice on my roof and almost one foot drifts on the side of my house. It was almost 50 today too.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion