tuscl

Portland OR 2AMer

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Multiple gunshots fired near the Mystic Gentleman's Club in southeast Portland left two people in critical condition early Sunday morning.

According to Portland Police detectives, the shooting was first reported just before 9 p.m. Saturday at the intersection of SE 99th Avenue and SE Stark Street.

More than three hours later officers remained on the scene.

"It's not something you would expect especially at this time of night," said John Moller, a witness to the shooting and friend to one of the people shot. "It's usually pretty mellow around here."

Moller said it looked to him as though someone shot one of the bouncers at the club, and then another person fired back in retaliation.

"The investigation is ongoing but detectives believe there are no outstanding suspects in this incident," said Portland Police Sgt. Greg Stewart.

However, as of 11:30 p.m. Saturday, one person had been detained at the scene, Sgt. Stewart said. That person was still awaiting an interview and had not been named a suspect.

Police report a total of four people had to be taken to the hospital as a result of the incident, but only two people suffered life-threatening gunshot wounds.

This story is developing and will be updated as new information becomes available.

15 comments

• motorhead
    11 years ago
    "It's not something you would expect especially at this time of night"

This guy must read TUSCL. He's right. It happened at 9 pm not 2 am.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    Do not Repeal the 2nd Amendment and confiscate and destroy all civilian possessed guns and guns from retailers that sell them without proper precautions, PARTICULARLY gun shows. Outlaw the National Rifle Association

• zipman68
    11 years ago
    Motorhead my man...you're one of the best posters on here and a sure source both of insightful and funny posts. But I just wonder if the Alucard parody posts are helpful.

It just seems like a large proportion of posts are arbitrarily slamming Alucard and he constantly gets accused of not making a case for his gun control advocacy. Given that there is a set a small set of people who that constantly jump on Alucard, why would he actually make an argument? It won't get read anyway.

Here's my feeling about guns. Any sort of national gun control that might actually have an impact upon the ownership of law abiding citizens isn't going to happen. This statement is independent of arguments for or against gun control. It is a statement that the political will to restrict guns any further just doesn't exist and is unlikely to exist any time soon. So from my perspective I would say "what's the problem?" to gun defenders. You've won.

At the same time, guns in the hands of criminals, nutjobs, and morons can't be a good idea. According to the national institute of justice most illegal guns actually move rapidly from legal sales to the illegal market (traced through use in crimes by folks that shouldn't have guns). This indicates that straw purchases are common and/or that there are bad actors within the licensed sellers. One argument the NRA always makes about new gun legislation is that we don't enforce the laws we have.

So here's MY beef with the NRA...why don't they advocate consistent, simple, and vigorously enforced laws nationwide? No loopholes. NIJ has studied the problem so there are probably things that could be done based on actual data rather than the fevered imaginations of the crowd that thinks "the Black Helicopters" are comin' to get 'em. This would probably increase access to legal guns for law abiding citizens in some areas and create a little extra work for some licensed dealers. And licensed dealer that are bad actors would get their asses thrown in jail if a case against them can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

In practical terms for TUSCL, maybe the reasonable posters could either engage in a real discussion with those they disagree with or just ignore the discussion. In terms of the country it might actually reduce gun crime in the long run.
  • zipman68
    11 years ago
    BTW Motorhead...hope you didn't mind the rant. I really enjoy your posts. If people backed off of Alucard a bit I think it would make the DB more readable. Some days half the posts are slamming Alucard. That just gets boring.

Right now I don't even want to respectfully disagree or joke around with Alucard. He takes too much shit just for being himself. If the reasonable posters decided en mass to dial it back (but still say what they think when they disagree) it might make things more fun for all of us.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    " But I just wonder if the Alucard parody posts are helpful"

Probably not.
  • tumblingdice
    11 years ago
    Alucard,consume defecation and expire.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    Sorry Alucard. It was just a joke.
  • jackslash
    11 years ago
    Zip, you're right. We gun owners have won. But it was touch and go for a while. We gun owners are sick of the hypocritical, sanctimonious, clueless attacks on our rights, and we're not going to be attacked without responding.

Perhaps if the gun-haters stop calling for bans on guns, on ammo, on self-defense, etc., the NRA will come around and work on preventing violence. I'm not against reasonable regulations. For example, when I bought a shotgun last year the store ran a background check on me. It took less than 5 minutes.

• SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    If the National Rifle Association of America was only concerned about the 2nd Ammendment, then why do they spend money in other countries and fight against gun control? I AM a member if the NRA. Yet, if you look at the NRA's past 30 years, the years under Wayne LaPierre are different and he's not you're average gun owner, either.
  • GoVikings
    11 years ago
    ranukam, you OK?
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    @GV-Haha.
  • Clackport
    11 years ago
    I was at Mystic Thursday night. If I'm not mistaken this isn't the first shooting at Mystic.
  • shadowcat
    11 years ago
    Update.

PORTLAND – Four people were shot at a Southeast Portland strip club after gunfire erupted Saturday evening, police said.

It all started around 8:40 p.m. when a gunman walked into the Mystic Gentleman’s Club at Southeast Stark Street and Southeast 99th Avenue and opened fire, said Sgt. Pete Simpson with Portland police.

The shooter hit three people, prompting a person in the bar to return fire, hitting and critically injuring the suspect.

A 26-year-old male security guard from the club was hit by the shooter and is in critical condition with life-threatening injuries.

A 31-year-old man and a 27-year-old woman were treated and released with non-life-threatening injuries, Simpson said.

The shooter was not identified, but he remains in critical but stable condition.

The person who returned fire and hit the suspect was not arrested and was cooperating with police.

“Portland is a safe city; however, gun violence is pervasive. As we've seen elsewhere, it's really easy for someone with a gun to hurt a lot of people,” said Sgt. Greg Stewart with the Portland Police Bureau.

Detectives don’t believe the shooting was gang-related and don’t believe there are other suspects.

In July of 2012, a man was shot and killed in the parking lot of the same strip club. Three people were arrested in the death.

The Oregon Liquor Control Commission was contacted about the shooting regarding licensing issues for the Mystic Gentleman’s Club.
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    Repeal the 2nd Amendment and confiscate and destroy all civilian possessed guns and guns from retailers that sell them without proper precautions, PARTICULARLY gun shows. Outlaw the National Rifle Association
  • DoctorPhil
    11 years ago
    @zipperhead aka comicbookguy

you crack me up.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion