tuscl

Snowed In

jackslash
Detroit strip clubs
It's January 2 and I had planned to make my first strip club visit of the year. But now I'm snowed in with no chance for fun. Detroit weather is not kind to people who drive little sports cars. Should I buy an F-150 so I can drive in this snow or should I move to Florida or California so I don't have to deal with snow at all?

I hope those of you who live in milder climes will post your experiences today so I can live vicariously through you.

30 comments

• georgmicrodong
    11 years ago
    In my experience, you're better off with the little car, though maybe not a sports car. The front wheel drive model is far superior in snow and ice than the rear wheel drive with no weight in the back that is a pickup truck's configuration.

The problem with other parts of the country is that there are *other* problems there. It doesn't matter where you go, no place is perfect. Whether it's hurricanes in the south east, tornadoes in the midwest, or sliding into the ocean after an earthquake, you'll have to deal with something no matter where you go.
  • rockstar666
    11 years ago
    You need a winter car! I drive my exotic year round but only when the streets are dry. And I never drive it to the club because too many people know who owns it!
  • ilbbaicnl
    11 years ago
    Some tire chains should do ya. Unless Detroit has hocked all its snowplows, then yeah, need something with high ground clearance.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    GMD made good points about the weight difference due to the pick-up's bed. I have family that live in the Sierras near Truckee and they put cement bags in the truck bed to keep the truck from sliding on black ice.
  • dallas702
    11 years ago
    Get a snow rat!

Really, go out and but some beat up heavy old clunker for a few hundred bucks. Make sure the engine is sound and the heater works. Put studded tires (or at least, snow tires) on the drive wheels, throw a blanket, water bottles, chains and 100 feet of heavy tow rope in the trunk. Fill the tank with ethanol free gas and add some moisture shedding additive.

Then go forth club, in any weather!
  • shadowcat
    11 years ago
    It could be worse. You could be in Atlanta with 1" of snow on the ground. :)
  • dallas702
    11 years ago
    "...go out and but..." should be, "go out and buy".

And I don't even have an excuse!
  • mikeya02
    11 years ago
    Feeling you Jack. This global warming sure gets cold!
  • deogol
    11 years ago
    Yea, global warming is a bitch. And even California gets snow in the west end of the state.
  • skibum609
    11 years ago
    WRX-STI - Performance like an exotic - all-wheel drive blasts through the snow.
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    It's your decision jackslash.
  • mikeya02
    11 years ago
    75 and sunny in San Diego. Come visit and take a ride.
  • joker44
    11 years ago
    Sorry to hear your plight. Detroit weather supporting your NO VIP resolution??

As I sit here in western Missouri it's a sunny 12F, wind chill zero, and 2 inches of snow down. Main roads have been cleared but still have packed snow slick spots. My small AWD SUV did well and I'm thinking of hitting day shift at a favorite local SC.
  • gawker
    11 years ago
    Farmerart must be laughing at us pussies, complaining about temps on the positive side of zero and snow under a foot. My problem is my ATF lives 100 miles from the club and can't get through the snow to get to work. Patience is a virtue.
  • georgmicrodong
    11 years ago
    @shadowcat: "It could be worse. You could be in Atlanta with 1" of snow on the ground."

Shit, it takes *that* much there? Around here, if there's snow in the *air*, mild and bread freakin' teleport off the shelves, and the city comes to a bloody standstill.
  • crazyjoe
    11 years ago
    Time to go spin some cookies
  • mikeya02
    11 years ago
    Out here, the second a few drops of rain hit the ground, hundreds of freeway accidents start occuring.
  • WOODDR2
    11 years ago
    Get out of the cold shitty weather places. LA may not be perfect but the weather sure help. It was 75 degrees here on Christmas day, we had only 3-1/2" of rain in all of 2013.
  • Tiredtraveler
    11 years ago
    I agree w/ @dallas An old 70's station wagon (aka a 7000lbs tank) with positrac and studded tires or chains will go just about anywhere you need to go. Plus you do not have to worry about getting hit.
  • bang69
    11 years ago
    living in Atlanta for 2 & half years. The word snow puts every one in a panic
  • mjx01
    11 years ago
    The traffic, taxes, and the occasional earthquake are more than enough reasons to outweigh south coastal CA weather IMO.

As GMD said no place is perfect... this is why I'd split time if I could do it. Go to FL for the winter when it's not insanely humid there and the snow fucks northern state, then go back home the rest of the year.
  • Papi_Chulo
    11 years ago
    “… In my experience, you're better off with the little car, though maybe not a sports car. The front wheel drive model is far superior in snow and ice than the rear wheel drive with no weight in the back that is a pickup truck's configuration …”

I believe the slash man has mentioned he drives a BMW Z3 convertible. The Z3 doesn’t have much of a butt (lightweight rear?) and is rear wheel drive.
  • Papi_Chulo
    11 years ago
    How often are you unable to “get your extras on” b/c you are unable to drive in the snow? If it’s less than 3x/year; then not worth making any radical changes such as leaving extrasville.
  • farmerart
    11 years ago
    Awwwwwwwwww.......you poor babies. I cry for you.

@jackslash,

Yes, buy an F-150. Get a model with 4WD. Put good snow tires on the machine. If you do any driving on steep inclines get a set of chains. You will discover the delights of chaining up at a roadside pull-out in sub-zero weather. For further assurance have a heavy duty winch (complete with 100m of good cable) attached to the front end of the F-150. I recommend a fuel tank in the box. The weight of a full 500l tank helps with traction. I also have a fully equipped tool box in the box - more weight for traction.

Do all this and I think you could probably make it to the Flight Club worry free, even as you brave the wilds of Michigan Avenue.
  • ATACdawg
    11 years ago
    I was taking a management course with the company where I was employed. One of the guys in my group had been in Charleston SC when Hurricane Hugo hit. He was delayed three days while the airport was cleaned up. He finally got on the plane for San Francisco - just in time for the World Series earthquake!

I understand that cities today pay him to stay away.
  • crazyjoe
    11 years ago
    Lol
  • tumblingdice
    11 years ago
    When I lived in southern Maine and western PA I had a F-250 Super Duty, it would laugh at two feet of snow.
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    When Snowed in, find in home entertainment.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Buy some Malamutes and a sled. Mush.
  • ATACdawg
    11 years ago
    My aunt and uncle used to own a Samoyed husky. That sucker could put some serious force on a leash!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion