tuscl

Loss of a giant

ATACdawg
Thank God Trump is FIRED!!! Lock him up!
All of us should take a few minutes to rue the passing of Nelson Mandela, one of the truly good and great men that have ever walked this earth. Never compromised with his oppressors. Endured 27 years of captivity in an 8x8 cell. And to top it all off, when freedom and power came to him, he preached forgiveness.

I don't expect to see his like again in my lifetime.

18 comments

• Alucard
    11 years ago
    Not likely. RIP.
  • tumblingdice
    11 years ago
    Titty! Did you see how his tribute pained him so?
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Mandela was the man. RIP.
  • tumblingdice
    11 years ago
    We won't see spine like that for a long time to come.
  • zipman68
    11 years ago
    True dat ATACdawg.
  • dogsun
    11 years ago
    Yes, he was a great Communist.
  • jester214
    11 years ago
    He didn't just preach it, he practiced it. A sad loss. I hope it doesn't bring new troubles to South Africa.
  • Papi_Chulo
    11 years ago
    Mandela was a man who stood by his principles and sacrificed a lot for his people and what he believed in – that is definitely very admirable.

But not everything that glitters is gold:

“… After being released from prison in 1990, one of the first things Nelson Mandela did was visit Cuba to express his admiration and respect for Cuban leader Fidel Castro …”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/27…

Castro is a Communist dictator thug; admiring him is akin to admiring Hitler.

I can see why someone in Mandela’s position would look at Communism as attractive (many in his part of the world also view it (communism) well) – but the perception of Communism is far away from it’s fucked up reality.
  • jester214
    11 years ago
    In all fairness (and this comes from someone who really dislikes Castro and Guevarra) a lot of people didn't/don't know the dark side of Castro and his coup. He also did do a lot in Africa and did stand up to the Apartheid government when a lot of other countries didn't.
  • Papi_Chulo
    11 years ago
    Nothing that Castro has done has been admirable even if it may appear that way on the surface. Castro is a murderous thug/psychopath that would get rid of his own mother if he needed to.

I could elaborate on jester’s previous comments; but the subject matter is really beyond the scope of TUSCL.

P.S.
    These are just my personal views and I certainly acknowledge all others’ views.
  • Dougster
    11 years ago
    I wonder what BonedBrother thinks of the man and how he will be paying his condolences?
  • Estafador
    11 years ago
    He did decent work. His peace actions still allowed european rule over african societies. Still wish I got to shake his hand
  • ATACdawg
    11 years ago
    @Esta: Heck, I would have loved to sit down with the man and have a couple of beers!

@Papi: I agree that what Mandela said about Castro wasn't too great. However, I will put that out to diplomacy-speak. What he did tells a much different story. No industries or private properties nationallized or "redistributed". The only changes he made were to increase justice.

Besides, talking nice to Castro was a proven way to increase US aid!
  • dallas702
    11 years ago
    Mandela certainly earned the adoration of his nation, and the rest of the world, for his peaceful revolution that dramatically changed South Africa. I strongly disagree with his personal fondness for communism, and especially his admiration for F. Castro, but the new South Africa - as created/envisioned/developed by Mandela is NOT communist. The man valued freedom, individual rights and fair - controllable - government more than communism.

I may not have agreed with his political leanings, but his practical results are clear. I respect the man for his grace and calm. I salute him for his accomplishments. I mourn his passing.
  • SuperDude
    11 years ago
    Anwar Sadat was once asked why some Egyptians sided with the Germans during WWII. He said that British occupation of Egypt had to end and some Egyptians were willing to make deals with anyone, including the Third Reich, to get that done. In his view that did not mean that they supported the Final Solution or the subjugation of Europe. (Yeah, but they supported the people doing it.) Mandela and other nationalist leaders often agree with anyone whom they feel supports the broad theme of freedom, anti-apartheid and anti-colonialsim. Sometimes they embraced Communist dictators to help achieve their goals, only to regret it later. I don't know if Mandela ever thought a friendship with Castro was a mistake.
  • farmerart
    11 years ago
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
  • Clubber
    11 years ago
    Personally, I am much more concerned with what goes on in the United States. Unfortunately, at this time, it ain't F&%$#ing good!

PS - Right you are, fa.
  • Papi_Chulo
    11 years ago
    Some very good and thoughtful comments have been made.

Actions do speak louder than words – and as others have commented – Mandela definitely, to the best of my knowledge; did not implement anything resembling a Communist dictatorship.

His *actions* all his life seem to have been exemplary.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion