tuscl

More SC Cash For farmerart

I recently turned 65. I will now be receiving a monthly OAS payment for the rest of my life, courtesy of the Canadian taxpayer. Current amount will be $550.99; it rises minimally by some inflation factor.

Should pay for an evening in club, no?

24 comments

• SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Good for you but with the way you like to party, that might only last for an hour, tops. You know how to enjoy an evening at the sc, Art.
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    Why not give it to Charity?
  • minnow
    11 years ago
    Belated Happy Birthday, farmerart. You asking that question is like an Eskimo asking if he'll have enough snow-cones for a midnight snack tonight.
  • Dougster
    11 years ago
    Congrats!
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Charity needs to earn her cash. She's fine but she sure is one lazy stripper.
  • shadowcat
    11 years ago
    I could do extremely well on that at Follies. Happy Birthday.
  • jackslash
    11 years ago
    Art, do you Canadians receive the old age pension automatically at 65? In the USA we can decide when to start receiving social security (after age 62).

Like you, I plan to spend all my social security on strippers (and beer). And VH_Kicks, you have nothing to fear. When we old men spend our pensions (which we earned, by the way), it will stimulate the economy and increase employment, helping younger people to have a productive life. The economy is not a zero-sum game.
  • farmerart
    11 years ago
    @jackslash,

OAS = Old Age Security. All Canadian citizens receive this no earlier than age 65.

The other public pension scheme in Canada is called CPP, Canada Pension Plan. There is no taxpayer support for this plan. It is funded by check-offs from employee pay cheques and matching contributions from the employer. Payments can start at age 60 but with a penalty hit from what could be the maximum amount. Currently maximum amount payable at age 65 (if a person has the maximum career earnings) is about $1150/month. Payments can be deferred to as late as age 71, I think. Deferred payments will be higher than the figure I quoted.

The pool of money from employee and employer contributions is managed conservatively by an independent investment board. This pension scheme is completely independent of the federal government. The CPP is deemed sound by actuaries out to something like 2060.

The CPP investment fund is one of the largest pools of investable capital in the entire world.
  • Dougster
    11 years ago
    Art: "The CPP investment fund is one of the largest pools of investable capital in the entire world."

Nothing like Norway's sovereign wealth fund though which just hit $1 trillion.
  • rockie
    11 years ago
    Alucard: Charity doesn't dance in his neck of the woods.
  • farmerart
    11 years ago
    @Dougster,

CPPIB fund is in the neighbourhood of $200 billion. It is invested world wide - real estate in New York and London; ports in Australia, toll roads in Europe. Didn't it just buy some ultra high end US retailer?

What is the largest pension fund in USA? I would guess....probably CalPERS?
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    Meanwhile, Juice is selling his blood (and other bodily fluids) for a few dollars a week because chances are the US Social Security system will be bust by time he is of age.

Let's all move to Canada.
  • Dougster
    11 years ago
    @art: I believe it is CALPERS which looks like it about the same size of the CPP. Goes along with my contention that California is basically a country onto itself.
  • Ermita_Nights
    11 years ago
    Your OAS + CPP will be a bit higher than my Social Security, but not by a whole lot. I think the big advantage you'll have is the lower cost of medical care.
  • Otto22
    11 years ago
    I will also be receiving my first Social Security check this month. Should buy a few LDs.
  • gawker
    11 years ago
    I have a government pension which began when I was 58. Right now a little over $6000 a month. The soc. sec. system reduces my monthly payment from $800 to $205 because of the government pension offset. I paid 11% of my salary into the pension fund for close to 40 years. It covers the bills but I still work in order to have money for the clubs. Life's a bitch.
  • joker44
    11 years ago
    Happy Birthday Art.

Welcome to the TUSCL's old farts club. Younger members think were're "past it...over the hill". What we may lack in youthful stamina we more than make up for in years of experience and enthusiasm when it comes to fully appreciating young, beautiful strippers.

Art, party on many more years.
  • Corvus
    11 years ago
    Good for you Art. Someone has to support single moms and college coeds. There are not many charities doing it so it is up to all of us TUSCLers.

And Happy Birthday too my friend.
  • canny
    11 years ago
    Isn't $550 a month a rounding error in your monthly budget @farmerart? Happy belated birthday!!

I wish that Social Security was privately invested instead of being spent as part of the USA's general fund. On paper the federal government writes IOU's, but they're from the general fund back to Social Security. If that money had been invested in the private sector instead I'd be able to retire 5 years earlier than I'm going to retire because I'd have Social Security as part of my retirement income. Thieving politicians.
  • Dougster
    11 years ago
    canny: "I wish that Social Security was privately invested instead of being spent as part of the USA's general fund"

Yep, just brain-dead and part of the reason it's going broke. Canada and Norway (for example) actually make good returns on their government pension funds.
  • farmerart
    11 years ago
    This thread got me a bit interested in CPPIB investments and I did a bit of searching. Biggest position in publicly traded equities in Canada - Royal Bank Of Canada (also a farmerart holding). One of its top ten positions in publicly traded US equities is Halcon Resources. Halcon is a shale oil operator - I'm not a fan of the shale guys as a long term investment, depletion rates are much too high.

More interesting are its private equity positions (usually in partnership with a hedge fund. Two US retailers of note here - Macy's (debt financing) and Neiman-Marcus (equity position). $300mil invested in Skype turned into almost $1bil when CPPIB cashed out.

Best of all, for my money, are the investments world wide in infrastructure plays - power generation and transmission, pipelines, airports, bridges, toll roads, ports, export terminals, railroads, agricultural land, top quality commercial real estate. Investments like these are really just annuities, perfect for a long term investor like CPPIB.

And, of course, CPPIB has a huge bond portfolio.

CPPIB's investment goal is 4% real rate of return (6.3% considering Canada's inflation rate). Latest CPPIB 10 year average return - 6.2% (and that includes the 2008/2009 stock market meltdown).

I am shocked to hear that your US Social Security payroll contributions just go into the general revenue stream of the US Feds. No independent oversight of this huge pool of capital? If I were a young worker in USA today I would have very little expectation of Social Security payments in my retirement.

In the investment world, US Social Security would be called a Ponzi scheme.
  • Dougster
    11 years ago
    art: "I am shocked to hear that your US Social Security payroll contributions just go into the general revenue stream of the US Feds"

That's effectively what happens. The social security trust fund is only allowed to buy treasuries, so money goes in, gets replaced by treasuries which loans it out the government, and then the treasuries collect interest and remained/rolled at maturity. Bonds were great investment back in 1981 or 2009, but not it's pretty debatable. (I've been in and out of treasury futures this year, but almost always on the short side.)
  • Dougster
    11 years ago
    A funny thing about Norway's sovereign wealth/pension fund is that they are mandated to invest internationally so as not to stole inflation at home (economy deemed strong enough already). Now there 's a nice problem to have.
  • ilbbaicnl
    11 years ago
    Effectively it works the same Art. The CPPIB may tell a worker it invested the $100 he contributed to buy Widget Corp stock, and the retired guy it sold $100 worth of Widget Corp stock to pay his pension. But in reality, the stock was transferred internally between CPPIB accounts, and the $100 went from the workers to the retiree's pocket, just like in the US.

Of course, since the baby boom generation is bigger than the WWII generation, some money needs to come in that doesn't immediately go out. In USSS, this money goes into the trust fund, and it's put into US bonds.

Some economists are concerned that, if the US reduced it debt (fat chance), it would be a big problem finding investments for the trust fund. It would be very tricky to avoid creating bubbles in the chosen investments, given the amount of money involved.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion