tuscl

The portrayal of strippers in the media

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 9:08 AM
So, I saw "We're the Millers" last night (spoiler alert!) and as many of you are aware, Jennifer Aniston plays a stripper/the love interest. Throughout the movie, jokes keep being made at her character's expense with Jason Sudeikis constantly referring to her as a "dirty stripper" (despite the fact that he's a drug dealer, but I guess that's somehow better?) and implying that she sucks dick for money at her job. At one point in the movie, a character that I think is supposed to be the manager at the strip club she works at comes in and informs her that she'll now be required to have sex with the customers and Jennifer Aniston quits. "Boner Garage" cheers. You guys would like Boner Garage. So, in the movie: Jennifer Aniston is behind on her rent, had a deadbeat boyfriend that drained her bank account and maxed out her credit cards and is somehow less human than every other character in the movie because she works at a strip club. Thinking about it, that's kind of how just about every stripper in a movie is portrayed. I can't think of one where a stripper isn't a downtrodden individual getting shat on by everyone from a homeless gutterpunk to a low-ranking drug dealer. Every time something happened involving Jennifer Aniston my friend would look over at me to check if I was offended and while I did think the movie was pretty funny, most of the humor I found in it was thinking that the writers must have read the TUSCL discussion board.

26 comments

• shadowcat
    11 years ago
    It's called writer's license. I doubt that many of us have seen a movie where our jobs were portrayed the way they really are.
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    " most of the humor I found in it was thinking that the writers must have read the TUSCL discussion board" I'm NOT surprised considering how the majority of posters here FEEL about dancers. Their views of them are pretty LOW and often misogynistic.
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    11 years ago
    Duo, Your observations are likely that the common stereotype is being portrayed. There have been TUSCL discussions before about movies dealing with strippers. One such film that I can recall, "Showgirls," from the mid-1990's portrays a Las Vegas stripper, who works her way up the entertainment ladder and becomes a Las Vegas showgirl. At least there's some job and life progression being portrayed there. For more, see: [view link] After I see "The Millers," I'll be happy to give you a further opinion.
  • minnow
    11 years ago
    Duo, if it makes you feel better, I liked Jennifer Anniston better as the maneater dentist in "Horrible Bosses". The eating the banana by her bedroom window scene is classic.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    Before I joined TUSCL, I used to laugh how shows like Law & Order SVU always portrayed strippers to be nothing more than whores. Afterall, the strippers I met in the type of clubs I went to in the 90's (mostly Deja Vu) were not at all like that. TUSCL opened my eyes.
  • mikeya02
    11 years ago
    You guys notice that although not innocent, Duo talks like a lady? She doesn't pander to the strippers are drug ridden loser whores mentality around here.
  • looneylarry
    11 years ago
    Yes, it is a cartoonish, ham-handed portrayal of dancers and strip clubs. Similar to how Anniston dance in front of the Mexican drug lord was a rip-off of Flashdance. I used to think that all clubs were above-board and the sure way to get your ass tossed out of the club was to suggest to a dancer that she could make some extra money with some additional activities. And I used to try and tell my wife that strip clubs were smeared in popular culture and that they didn't employ prostitutes that danced on the side. But there are enough exceptions to the rule to beat that notion down. There are just enough clubs around (and we are all trying to find them) where just the right play will get you whatever you need from a hot beauty fro a reasonable price. In many parts of the country that is basically chasing a unicorn. In other parts there is action to be had but the women are over the hill, lacking in aesthetics, or the club is pretty loose and so they have to compete by providing those services. But the vast majority of the time, there are no extras to be had by beautiful women at bargain prices. Just not going to happen. It is that fringe activity, however, that provides enough of a nugget to keep all those misconceptions afloat. And there will other movies with broad brushes of the stripper leads. Sorry, Duo; wish it weren't so.
  • duomaxwell
    11 years ago
    @club_goer "Showgirls" is my roommate's favorite movie. He loves it so, so much. I love it so, so much.
  • zipman68
    11 years ago
    Alas, sex is both stigmatized and it sells. At least Aniston's character is shown as quitting when the edict to have sex with customers is conveyed to her. I assume "Boner Garage" is anther stripper... Of course, that raises the question of what her parents expected when the named her Boner, given that their surname was Garage ;-)
  • zipman68
    11 years ago
    another stripper...not anther stripper (which would be really strange)
  • deogol
    11 years ago
    Independence Day with Will Smith portrayed a stripper in a positive way.
  • georgmicrodong
    11 years ago
    @mikey: You seemed surprised by that observation. Why?
  • gawker
    11 years ago
    I saw We Are The Millers and thought it was a waste of time and money. Jennifer Aniston is a comely woman but the role she played is not realistic in my experience which runs the full gamut from my 2 favorite dancers - the first is a drug addicted, money grubbing prostitute and the other is a well educated single parent who has never had sex for money, does not use drugs, and has a 401k and a Roth IRA.. They both are good people who I like as individuals as well as sex objects. I'm a customer of the first, so I'm no better on that perspective and I think we should judge people by what they do, rather than whatever they may be. Does the addict piss me off with her erratic behavior and unpredictable behavior? Sure. But I don't think she's ever intentionally hurt anyone. I'd still jump on Jennifer's bones given 1/2 a chance.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    The strippers in "From Dusk Till Dawn" weren't you're a enrage strippers, that's for sure.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Hey Tittyfag-Did "Magic Mike" do it for you?
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    I meant average. In "Players Club", Lisa Raye goes on to become a reporter. Jaime Foxx doesn't play the typical douchebag DJ. "Porky's" had happy strippers.
  • canny
    11 years ago
    In my experience fewer than half of the strippers in the US are prostitutes. There are a lot who are and I've only met one stripper who isn't one who doesn't look down on the ones who are. But, the only strippers who I know or know about who aren't constantly broke aren't broke because they're doing extras. I don't live in Las Vegas or New York, I live outside of Pittsburgh, and there isn't that much money floating around. And every stripper who I know who is over 30 is worried about where she's going to be and how she's going to pay the rent and put food on her table in 10 years. Every stripper who I know who is younger talks about what they're going to do to quit stripping. Go to school, get a job as a waitress, etc. I've only known strippers personally outside of the club for a couple of years, but I don't know any who have successfully moved on from working as strippers. One has, kind of, but she has a sugar daddy supporting her.
  • jackslash
    11 years ago
    Duo, it's interesting to hear your perspective on the portrayal of strippers.
  • mjx01
    11 years ago
    I tend to think the deadbeat bf and out of money are statistically accurate. I think every dancer I've known has had issues hanging on to any about of money for various reasons. As for bfs, I'm confident less than half are decent IMO... although I could probably say that about civies as well. I'd agree with Canny that most don't do extras. But there are plenty of stripper who I know are making bank without doing extras and manage to piss it away and lack an exit plan.
  • duomaxwell
    11 years ago
    Maybe it's because I've grown up under the nurturing, protective (lol) umbrella of the industry but I know a lot of ex-strippers that have used stripping as a stepping stone to an amazing life. I mean, my mom was a stripper, a lot of my parents' friends were strippers ... Hell, even my boyfriend's GRANDMOTHER (RIP) was a stripper.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    Everyone's a stripper in their own bedroom, lol. Of course it takes more nerve and Hopefully good looks to do it in a club.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    Lol, Now I'm wondering what are the odds of a poster here being Duo's father? Might be like Darth Vader speaking telling Luke Sky walker, "I am your father!". Then you hear, Noooooooo. No offense intended Duo.
  • Dougster
    11 years ago
    ^^^ could be the RickyBoyDugan? His BBFS adventures are legend and he does scower the East Coast, no? If so, she'll be in for quite a large inheritance.
  • ilbbaicnl
    11 years ago
    In "Trading Places" a sex worker is portrayed as a very together person (who also happens to have history's most perfect boobs). Nice change from the done-to-death stereotype of the lost whore with the deep-down heart of gold who just needs the right guy to rescue her. One of my favorite movies.
  • Experimental
    11 years ago
    Hollywood doesn't portray much of anything accurately, particularly in big name big budget flicks. I grew up watching all the bruce lee, chuck norris, jean claude van damme movies I could get my hands on thinking that was the real deal, then entered a tae kwon do tournament and well, them thar movies aren't accurate AT ALL!!! You want to see real martial arts in action, peep this footage from the tournament [view link]
  • Pundi
    11 years ago
    ^ So true that Hollywood doesn't portray much of anything accurately. I do find it stupid that a drug dealer is portrayed as being superior morally to a stripper.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion