tuscl

R.I.P. Deacon Jones

minnow
Any place that interests me.
RIP, "Secretary of Defense" as a member of the Los Angeles Rams "Fearsome Foursome". (Defensive End, #75). Hall of Fame Inductee, and Presenter (for former coach George Allen). Outside of football, love the Miller Lite commercial he appeared in.

St. Peter best not be a quarterback, now.

18 comments

• Papi_Chulo
    11 years ago
    “… Los Angeles Rams "Fearsome Foursome …"

That was a bit before my time but that *was* one heck of a D-line.

With today’s salary cap crap; it’s hard to put together great talent on just one team for any extended period of time.

• motorhead
    11 years ago
    I had a poster of him on my wall and I wasn't even a fan of the Rams. He was awesome. One bad dude DE.
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    11 years ago
    I was a kid in L.A. in his years with the Rams--some great football back then!
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    The Deacon Jones Head Slap-Good against a man or a woman! That dude cracked me up.
  • jackslash
    11 years ago
    Deacon played real football. Now you're ejected if you even mess up the pretty quarterback's hair.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    I blame Tom Brady for that crap. Jack Tatum would've assassinated Brady.
  • DandyDan
    11 years ago
    The cool thing about him as far as I'm concerned is that he is attributed with coining the term "sack" in football. And he had many of them, although that's unofficial, of course.
  • ime
    11 years ago
    There was a good column about him in the Grantland section of ESPN.com yesterday. Way before my time but watching the old NFL films shows with him were pretty cool. As an ex Tackle i would have hated that cheap ass head slap stuff. D lineman are like the Qb's of the defense, they want to get away w/ everything but cry if their jersey gets held a little.
  • GoVikings
    11 years ago
    Way before my time, but I watch NFL Network all the time and they're always showing old films- so I've seen how good he was.

Dude was a diamond in the rough- very late round draft pick who ended up being one of the all time best at his position

• tumblingdice
    11 years ago
    He was a bad ass.It's to bad football has been pussified.Here we go Giants.
  • dallas702
    11 years ago
    Jones was a really nice guy - off the field. But, if Heaven has banned the head-slap then Hell has a new terror.
  • Clackport
    11 years ago
    Obviously before my time, but from what I saw he was a real cool guy off the field. Obviously he was a beast on the field.
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    I remember watching him play. Great Player.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    "When I see guys huddling up after the game, to pray, that's what scares me about the game. I'm a Baptist, but I'm also a quarterback killer, and I ain't praying with you. But I will give you 30 seconds to ask your Lord and master to keep me from killing you." -- Hall of Fame defensive end "Deacon" Jones on what aspect of the modern game most upsets him.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Deacon Jones on inventing the term "Sack"
    "Its like devastaing a city or creaming a multitude of people. Its like putting all the offensive players in a sack and I beat on the sack with a baseball bat."
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    "I want to put as much fear into his heart and pain on his back as I possibly could."
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    "When I got an angle on him with 4.5 speed he should go to the Hospital and thats exactly what I tried to do, no remorse in my heart. I tried to put him in the hospital each time I tackled him. Each time he came over there I tried to tear his **** head off."
  • jabthehut
    11 years ago
    I talked to a friend of mine today who played against and with Jones in the NFL. They were both Pro Bowlers '67, '68, '69, and '70. He also says he was a great guy off the field.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion