tuscl

Strippers In Regular Bars

Strippers for a couple of nights a week in regular bars?

This is a phenomenon that I encounter frequently in the small western Canadian oil patch towns where I spend some of my time. It can be disconcerting and awkward. These taverns are never set up properly for SC activities. Very rarely are lap dances offered. The dancers are usually unattractive low-rent girls. It is just a desperate attempt by bar owners to attract more customers for the booze being sold. I don't care for these joints but, because many of these taverns are tied to crappy, run-down hotels, the dancers are often peddling sex upstairs in the hotel's miserable rooms.

Is this common in small town USA?

5 comments

• Alucard
    12 years ago
    Since I don't drink, I haven't the foggiest. Might be better off to offer cheaper booze to draw people.
  • jackslash
    12 years ago
    I've run into some bars that serve meal and have waitresses who are topless or in bikinis. Not exactly strippers but you get to see some boobs. These waitresses are not as attractive as the normal stripper I'm used to.
  • Clubber
    12 years ago
    jack,

That used to be quite common in Miami. They'd have a lingerie show with the servers as model during lunch time. Men packed the places that did it.
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    12 years ago
    In Southern California, prior to about 1990, that was common. They were referred to a topless bars (or titty bars). They would only have a few dancers on shift. Maybe two stages in the larger bars. When the dancers were off stage, they'd double as waitresses. This was even before stripper poles. When lap dancing entered the adult entertainment scene, full size strip clubs began to emerge. It's interesting that many of the old topless bars are still around. In some cases, they've sort of retrofitted to create a space for lap dances, but it's not the same as going to a modern strip club.
  • Ermita_Nights
    12 years ago
    This has been going on for over 100 years. You can see it in old westerns on TV. Back then they had saloon doors and a stage with a burlesque show. But the basic idea of girls putting on a show as a teaser to take them to the rooms upstairs is the same. I strongly suspect this has been a continuous activity. It has pretty much disappeared from the western US so consider yourself lucky to be able to experience this bit of history.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion