tuscl

Socio-Economic Class And The SC World

In a very cheeky comment in another discussion thread steve229 consigned me to the trailer trash working class tier of society. By upbringing and temperment I am most definitely blue collar working class. My current income level may now assign me a different class in society. In the SC world, my experience suggests that few dancers come from the upper stratum of society. Somehow, I just can not imagine myself groping a blue blooded heiress in a SC VIP for $20/song.

In a variation of the upscale/downscale club discussion thread currently running on the board, where do you position yourself in society's class structure?

21 comments

• bang69
    13 years ago
    I fall in the working middle class
  • rh48hr
    13 years ago
    I am the same as bang69
  • georgmicrodong
    13 years ago
    My current socio-economic status puts me at the upper end of middle class, or the lower end of "rich", depending on who you listen to.. However, my upbringing is definitely more "redneck" and "white trash", and I have to admit that I'm more comfortable with that type of folk.

I *prefer* jeans and a t-shirt, and I'll sit around in my underwear at home. My scruffy cowboy boots are way more comfortable than any shoes I've ever had to wear, though I'm a shorts and sandals guy in the summer. I will admit to preferring scotch and bourbon over beer and whiskey, but I'm not inclined to apologize for that.
  • CTQWERTY
    13 years ago
    Independently wealthy? No. But I can do better than Cheese Whiz. Love but eat too much CoJack.
  • mmdv26
    13 years ago
    Upper middle to lower upper
  • Alucard
    13 years ago
    My socio-economic status used to be SOLID middle class. It has trended a downward some in the last few years.
  • silkypants
    13 years ago
    Lower middle class and spending more than I can afford to give myself the feeling that I am an upper class snob like the rest of the people at the club.

The valet is on to me though. My car is cool, just the the upper class kind of cool. Oh and rich people don't really drive there cars like the middle class does.
  • Clubber
    13 years ago
    6th grade!
  • thesamurai
    13 years ago
    I'm single. As long as I have money to cover my impulse buys I'm the richest dude in the world. Like today, for example, I went to the one place in Minnesota that kicks out a decent Philly cheesesteak. It was amazing. I'm rich. lol
  • steve229
    13 years ago

Who knew an off-hand reference to Cheez Whiz would ignite a class war on TUSCL? Sheesh!
  • thesamurai
    13 years ago
    Cheese steaks have cheez whiz sometimes. So its obviously for the very most wealthy!!
  • DandyDan
    13 years ago
    I was brought up lower middle class and probably am still there today. That doesn't mean I don't like to spend lots of money in a club, though.
  • jackslash
    13 years ago
    My parents were college-educated middle class people (public official, teacher) who paid for most of my college education. I put myself through graduate school while working at some rather low-paying jobs, and then worked my way up to an upper middle class position. My investments should allow me to retire soon without any decrease in my income. I've been luckier than most people.

Art's question got me thinking about dancers' socio-economic class. I've been surprised at times by strippers' ignorance and values, but strippers come primarily from poor and uneducated communities. They're products of their backgrounds. Dancing is the best job most of these girls can get, and they support themselves and their families by their work. I should be less judgmental.
  • Ermita_Nights
    13 years ago
    I knew a stripper once whose parents were filthy rich. I think she was dancing just for the thrill or to piss them off. She didn't last long.
  • Blue42TX
    13 years ago
    I missed the income I used to earn. Now I'm trying to adjust to the middle class income to support my SC habit.
  • minnow
    13 years ago
    art- I happen to feel like a big fish in my pond, but am well aware that there are still plenty of whales and sharks in the greater ocean.

As a saying goes: You can take a boy out of the (blank), but you can't take the (blank) out of a boy.
  • EarlTee
    13 years ago
    My salary puts me in the top 10% of American earners.
  • motorhead
    13 years ago
    I grew in a working class home. Neither parent went to college. But my parent's owned their home, we always had plenty to eat and new school clothes each fall. I knew we weren't "rich" but I felt we were certainly "middle class". (Although as a kid, I didn't even know what that meant.)

It wasn't until I went to college and took a freshman Sociology class and the textbook described the various socio-economic classes that I realized we were probably "middle lower-class".

Huh. Who knew? It took a textbook authored by a PhD. sociologist to tell me that I wasn't as well off I thought I was.

--

But getting back to strippers - of all the ones that I know about their personal lives growing up, EVERY ONE, and I mean every one, came from a single parent background. That has to hold some significance.
  • joesparty
    13 years ago
    I'm not "the 1 percent," but I'm not too far away. I was fortunate to grow up solidly middle class, with parents who paid a significant portion of my education expenses. The rest were paid through scholarships and hard work. I am lucky to have a secure, well-paying job now. I don't say this to brag, but to answer the question as presented. I think nearly every day how fortunate I have been in my life.

That said, I agree that it's extremely rare to meet at truly wealthy stripper. Yes, they make a lot of money. But the dancers I've come to know, like my ATF, spend it all just as quickly. Whether it's single-mom duties or drunken, drug-filled benders (or both), it seems to disappear quickly. And even though I think my ATF is really smart, she's always "broke," despite being what I think is one of the top earners at her club.

The luckiest ones are those who can control their impulse spending, put something away for a rainy day (or retirement), and get out of the game before they're too old to be dancing any more.
  • Dolfan
    13 years ago
    I'd put myself in the upper middle class, but mainly because I'm single. Like GMD I grew up in a lower class & am more comfortable in that environment.

As far as strippers with money go, I know exactly one stripper who comes from money. She comes from old money, railroad money. The rest could easily be considered trailer trash. I do know a few who live lives that correlate with their income, meaning they do things like own their home and drive a new car.
  • MADDOG_ROMEO
    13 years ago
    My situation is that of EarlTee....My father was college educated and had his own business....We were upper middle class....
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion