tuscl

What's her motivation?

Thursday, December 8, 2011 10:40 AM
I've been repeatedly seeing this one dancer at her club. She puts on a terrific stage show and is even better in the lap room. I'll nearly always get several dances from her when I'm there. They're consistently among the highest mileage I'm aware of in Portland. Recently, while we were in VIP, she was telling me about her family. Told me she has six brothers who are identical sextuplets. Told me that every time her mother saw the doctor while pregnant, the number of babies kept going up until she got to six! Now this is an obvious lie. It's so blatantly ridiculously obvious that I have to believe she knew I would see right through it. Even if she thought I would believe her, though, I can't see the motivation for telling me that story. I completely understand feeding guys lines to keep them coming back or to get them to spend more. That's expected. But I can't see how that particular whopper would further her goal of getting me to spend more money. Would anyone care to speculate on a dancer's motivation for telling obvious lies that don't seem to further the goal of making more money?

18 comments

• rrbill
    13 years ago
    Showbiz--it's like lawyering or teaching. You gotta be a good actress.
  • thesamurai
    13 years ago
    She thinks you are incredibly stupid.
  • HB13
    13 years ago
    Worse ones are sob stories where the girl actually starts crying. Totally kills the VIP room.
  • deogol
    13 years ago
    Her motivation is called "being crazy" - literally.
  • hakanlube
    13 years ago
    Maybe she's telling the truth. Or maybe she wants you to feel like you know her as a person so that you'll spend more money on her, but she doesn't want you to actually know anything about her, so she makes up bullshit. Or maybe she was bored, so she made up a silly story to entertain herself. In any case, I wouldn't worry about it until she asks for a loan to pay for Christmas gifts for her six brothers.
  • LeeH
    13 years ago
    Broaden your horizons as to the why -- may not have anything to do with her occupation or your wallet. Some people just like to tell tall tales. Haven't you ever gotten a "FWD: FW: Fwd: FW: fwd:" email from a relative?
  • LeeH
    13 years ago
    @hakanlube: "Or maybe she was bored, so she made up a silly story to entertain herself." Another good point. Had a friend who was a college professor, who should've been teaching grad-level classes, but he wouldn't play the academic bullshit game, so he kept getting stuck with freshman classes. The number of cultural references in his lectures (just to amuse himself) would've put Dennis Miller to shame.
  • Alucard
    13 years ago
    $$$$
  • shadowcat
    13 years ago
    With some people, including my ex wife, lying is just a way of life. They want to impress and be remembered.
  • jaclkgill
    13 years ago
    You are concerned because you are bagging her and might come after you
  • dtek
    13 years ago
    @rrbill: Oh she's definitely a good actress. Her convincing (if I put my brain in neutral) act that she likes me is part of what keeps me coming back. @thesamurai: Possible I guess, though she appears to be too smart not to have noticed that I'm not incredibly stupid. Or maybe I *am* being incredibly stupid and don't realize how (hence the question). Jaclkgill implies as much. @hakanlube: It's not possible that the story is true. Any identical sextuplets born in the last 25 years would have been all over the news. The record for identical multiple births stands at five (seven documented cases since 1786). Bored and made up a silly story to entertain herself, or more likely to see how I would react, makes more sense. Incidentally, she *has* started hinting about money problems. I smile and sympathetically tell her she needs to do a better job of budgeting her income. @LeeH: I understand the fun in telling tall tales that the teller thinks is true or that the teller thinks the listener might believe. What I don't understand is the fun in telling a tale so tall that no one could possibly believe it. On the other hand, at least one reader here appears to think it could possibly be true so ... @Alucard: That was my thought but, as I said, I can't see how she could think that story would lead to $$$$. Perhaps she's not as calculating as I've given her credit for. Or maybe that story has led to $$$$ from other customers. @Shadowcat: That's another good point. Maybe she's just trying to impress with a story that she thinks is plausible. @jaclkgill: Eh? I don't understand what you're implying. I'm not "bagging" her unless, by that, you mean that I'm getting high mileage (for Portland) VIPs from her. And I don't understand what bagging her has to do with any supposed concern that she might come after me.
  • hakanlube
    13 years ago
    I missed the part where you said "identical." Yeah, obviously that's bullshit. Identical triplet boys were born in Portland a few years ago, though, so I'm sure that's where she got the idea for her tall tale.
  • bobvz
    13 years ago
    She needs more $$$ for presents
  • kingcripple
    13 years ago
    @everybody it is beyond me why any levelheaded person, be it a stripper or whatever (not that there are any level headed strippers), would make up such a rediculous story in order to keep a customer. Obviously the OP should be facepalming himself. and everyone of you who say she is telling this story for money should all get a big collective facepalm. The only person who would come up with that story is some wack job. no idea if the wackjob is the stripper or th OP.
  • bang69
    13 years ago
    She thinks your stupid & just wants your money
  • dtek
    13 years ago
    @kingcripple: Those are essentially my thoughts as well, except for the part about me being the whackjob. @bang69: Thanks for your insightful thoughts. ;-)
  • LeeH
    13 years ago
    "What I don't understand is the fun in telling a tale so tall that no one could possibly believe it." There is no such thing. If you have yet to encounter people that stupid, just be thankful.
  • gatorfan
    13 years ago
    Money
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion