tuscl

Musing on Music in Clubs

On my recent tour I concentrated my visits on action clubs. Without exception in these clubs I found the stage shows to be useless. Why not use the music in these clubs to complement the sexier activities taking place.
To my mind the sexiest piece of music ever written is Ravel's "Bolero". Wagner's "Flight of the Valkyries" is up there too. Other choices would be throbbing African drums or drum solos of any kind <Joe Morello's "Castilian Drums">. I heard no classic 60s or 70s rock. The Stones <Satisfaction>; Fleetwood Mac; husky-voiced Janis Joplin would all fit.
And the classic SC anthem - ZZ TOP's "Legs" :

'.....She's got legs and knows how to use 'em" !!!

I did not hear one bar of that gem. Responses from any dancers who read this post would be fascinating to read.

18 comments

• georgmicrodong
    14 years ago
    OK, while I absolutely agree with "Bolero", what acid trip were you on when you came up with the idea that *anything* by Wagner was good for sex? :)
  • farmerart
    14 years ago
    georgmicrodong: I find the driving power of Wagner to be very sexy. Different opinions are what make discussions interesting.
  • steve229
    14 years ago
    Flight of the Valkyries?

Sorry, that just reminds me of Apocalypse Now.

"Charlie don't surf!"
  • Dudester
    14 years ago
    farmerart, you have good taste in music, unfortunately, a lot of strippers have an uneducated musical palate. What complicates this is Dudester's axiom-spoon fed garbage long enough, people will acquire a taste for it.

Most radio stations play the same tired old play lists-over and over and over and over and over and over again, ad infinitum, ad nauseum. People don't seem to mind. If I hit the mega millions or powerball, on my list of things to do is buy a radio station and seriously challenge the status quo with the slogan "NO PLAY LISTS, EVER !!"
  • troop
    14 years ago
    give me more of dat kill the cops, slap yo bitch den fuck her in da ass, i'm hangin and chillin wit my homeys hip hop gangsta rap!

no.. not really
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    I enjoy hearing girls girls girls played
  • shadowcat
    14 years ago
    farmer, I have over 5,000 songs on my hard drive. I burn CDs for my favorites. I can appreciate your taste in music but remember these girls are 30 or more years younger than you or I. The most requested are 80's pop. They grew up to it. Some DJs will play requests by the dancers. This is the best solution.

Complaints I have heard from dancers include: "how am I supposed to dance to that?". or he always plays Salsa because of my Hispanic stage name.

I was discussing favorite strip club songs with a favorite 2 weeks ago after the topic came up on here. I mentioned "The way you move" by Outkast. Guess what they played on her next stage appearance.

Worst song ever heard in a strip club: 1962 on Bourbon ST. in New Orleans. "Colonel Bogey March" from the movie "Bridge on the river Kwai". Yuk.
  • georgmicrodong
    14 years ago
    FA: Yes, I know. Thus the smiley. Seriously, while I certainly like Wagner, it never struck me as appropriate. Everyone's mileage varies, of course.
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    I just heard Girls, Girls, Girls, (Live) by Motely Crue on Carnival of Sins - Live on pandora.com internet radio. never heard it before but I liked it.
  • KitTastic
    14 years ago
    I'm the only stripper I've ever seen who dances to 60s rock. All the other girls are dancing to gangsta rap, so it's nice to see all the customers look up like, "Is that The Guess Who? Who's dancing to The Guess Who?"

That's the other thing, I'm the only actual Canadian girl in the club, so I play it up with Canadian bands whenever possible.
  • DandyDan
    14 years ago
    It's actually "Ride of the Valkyries", just so all of you know. I don't even want to imagine it. I thought Hitler was overly fond of Wagner.

KitTastic- a couple of the clubs I go to play the Doors and Jimi Hendrix all the time. However, I don't know that I've ever heard anything Canadian other than Nickelback or Rush in a club.

Dudester- that's part of why I got XM radio (now Sirius/XM). The local stations here in Omaha suck. The big rock station in town will not ever play Tool. They'll play some stupid crap, but they won't play Tool.

As for myself, I'm just glad I figured out one more Lady Gaga song on my last trip to the strip club.
  • magicrat
    14 years ago
    Kit, I saw Guess Who a few years ago..even got a used guitar pick from Randy Bachman. Always a favorite band of mine.

A few years ago in a lame local club, a dancer played about 3 Phil Collins poppy ballads in a row. She was the best looking dancer there so as I tipped her onstage, I told her she needed to work on her mucical selection. She informed me that she made twice as much money as any other girl in there and she liked her music just fine. Guess how much more $ she got out of me?

Recently, having just gotten to the club, I was standing at the bar talking to a new to me dancer. She started singing along to a song, Billionaire, which of course this old man had never heard. She told me hearing the same songs 8-10 times a day breeds familiarity. Funny thing, I have heard that song on the radio 2 or 3 times since and think of her. Never did get a dance from her though, but she was good looking.
  • troop
    14 years ago
    the guess who?

lol..
    several years ago at the grand opening of a local nightclub my band was the opening act for the guess who. there were only maybe 2 original members playing and they were living off of the guess who name.
  • scatterbrain
    14 years ago
    I was just listening to some classic Lynard Skynard and when Free Bird came on, I thought to myself, "what a great LD song this would be!" The outtake version is just over 10 minutes and has all the right tempos and volume. In the beginning it's kinda mellow (while you and the lady get warmed up), then toward the middle there's a definite acceleration in the tempo and increased crescendo, until the climax just near the end and slightly slower ending.

I think I'm going to try and bribe the DJ at the next club I go to to see if he'll play it when I'm getting a dance from my ATF. I'd be willing to pay 1-for-3 (rather than the 2-for-1 we're always bargaining for) just to get this fantasy checked off my list. What do you think it would take to get the DJ on board?
  • troop
    14 years ago
    lol.. a former favorite of mine who is no longer dancing gave me a dance to the long version of freebird. my hands and mouth were just about everywhere and it only cost me 10 dollars!
    one of the best value dances i ever had :)
  • potheadpl
    14 years ago
    A DJ with a sense of humor would play Freebird and Inna Gadda Da Vida on 2 for 1s.
  • LeeH
    14 years ago
    My experience is that most DJs are deaf and can't read CD labels either.
  • DoctorDarby
    14 years ago
    Sorry fellers, but Free Bird would be a nightmare. Too long; too cliche; too 20 million freaking years old. The song length seems like a bonus but not if people actually nod off. Pity the poor girl on stage trying to dance to all that guitar flailing. Same with Led Zeppelin. For example, Whole Lotta Love (which I have heard played in SC) is not only undancable about half way through, but its just old and clunky. Modern symphonic rock would work better than actual classical. Same dramatic hooks but with strong female vocals and metal power chords. Stuff like Nightwish, Epica, Delain, and Evenescence works nicely for a slow grind, both on stage and on laps.
    And its new.
    Not a million-billion-been hearing-it-since-the-70s-freaking-years-OLD!

Rap and Hip-Hop are pretty much a waste. I know one girl who manages to make Eminem interesting, but she's an exception. She also does a fabulous ice-cube show to the epic Pink Floyd song "Pigs", which pretty much undoes my entire theory regarding old classic rock . . .
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion