tuscl

Too Fat for Hooters? Will Cassie Smith Lose Her Short Shorts? (PICTURES)

ROSEVILLE, Mich. (CBS/AP) The "delightfully tacky, yet refined " restaurant chain, Hooters of America, is best known for their great-tasting wings, and well, big hooters, says the Hooters website.

PICTURES: Cassie Smith Too Fat For Hooters?

However, a 5-foot, 8-inch, 132 pound Hooters waitress in Michigan claims the "nearly world famous" restaurant believes her hooters aren't her only asset that's plenty big.

Twenty-year-old Cassandra "Cassie" Smith is contemplating legal action against Hooters after she was allegedly put on probation because of her weight.

Smith told The Detroit News that she was called into an office at Hooters for her yearly performance review. Both her assistant manager and general manger were present, as well as two females who were on conference call from the Hooters Headquarters in Atlanta, Ga.

Smith received a glowing review about her demeanor with customers and colleagues, but didn't do so well in the "uniform fitting" department.

Since the start of her employment, she has worn the company issued shirt and shorts in extra small. "I was confused because I don't wear the biggest uniform size," Smith told The Detroit News.

"I'm not overweight by any means," she told paper. "If anything ... I've been losing weight."

Smith says the ladies offered her a free gym membership and told the blonde bombshell that she had 30 days to improve her appearance, and if in 60 days she failed to comply she could be terminated, reports the Detroit News.

Mike McNeil, the Vice President of Marketing at Hooters of America, released a statement saying, "We will not make any comment on a current employee except to say that no employee in Michigan has been counseled about their weight...However, we will say that our practice of upholding an image standard based on appearance, attitude, and fitness for Hooters Girls is both legal and fair. It is not unlike the standard used by the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders or the Radio City Music Hall Rockettes."

The question remains...how big is too big at Hooters?
Right now the polling on their site is:
Does Hooters have the right to fire someone because of their weight?
Absolutely... Their House, Their Rules.
36%
Are You Kidding Me? NO! That's Discrimination.
41%
Who Gives a Hoot?
24%
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-2…

I was at Hooter's today in East Columbus for lunch today. I saw a couple hot looking waitresses but I got stuck with an ugly one. She did not have hooter's but oh well maybe next time I go I'll get a hotter waitress. The waitresses showed a lot more skin than the ones at kahoot's and hooter's is very well-lit unlike eating at kahoot's.

18 comments

• Jpac73
    14 years ago
    I guess the standards are different here in the South. In GA/AL they don't care if the girl has a little weight on her as long as she doesn't have a big gut. Can have wide hips and big butt, but no big stomach. My pet peeve is that sometimes they hire girls that are too thin no "Hooters" are butt to speak of.
  • sanitago
    14 years ago
    I once went to a local Hooters. fucking overpriced food served by a woman who was only average looking. I want to throw my money down to look at women, I'll stick to SC's.
  • lopaw
    14 years ago
    5'8" and 132 lbs - too FAT?
    That's ridiculous.
    Those Hooters managers need to put down the crackpipe.
  • Clubber
    14 years ago
    Saw a video from her club, er , restaurant, and the manager had to be near 400!!!
  • Yeah, I've seen the girl. I'd plow that.
  • vincemichaels
    14 years ago
    Yeah, I've been in that Hooters, the manager is a fat pig!!! I'll have to stop in again and check out the babe. From what I saw on TV, she's hot, he is full of shit, that pig!!
  • DandyDan
    14 years ago
    I don't go to Hooters all that much, but in my experience, most of their waitresses have nice bodies, but aren't much to look at in their faces. This girl would beat the ones I see in the looks department. Hell, this particular girl looks like one of my faves, actually.
  • 10inches
    14 years ago
    she's not fat , but then again she ain't got much in hooter dept either!!
  • Dudester
    14 years ago
    The Hooters on my side of town always has a full parking lot. I drive on. I don't see the point, especially, when, just ten minutes away I can get boobs in the face and a finger in the kitty.
  • potheadpl
    14 years ago
    A girl at that weight and height isn't fat. Now maybe she is in poor shape with a droopy butt? Has anyone seen a picture of her since this was made public? She looked excellent in the pics at the link, but are those accurate?

That being said, I've seen some Hooters girls with muffin tops and pooch bellies.
  • MisterGuy
    14 years ago
    She could lose a lil weight in her belly & thighs, and, in some of the pics, it looks like she might have a lil extra skin around her neck area. Some small-boobed gals can do well at Hooters, but they have to be really hot it seems. She's not super hot at all IMHO.

Yea, the food pretty much sucks at Hooters, but that's not the reason that people go there from what I can tell.
  • sharkhunter
    14 years ago
    Corporations always seem to want employees to be miracle workers and jump through hoops to reach their goals. If you do reach their goals, they assume that it was too easy and then they give you even more. Sounds like Hooters is applying the typical performance review for a good employee. Give good remarks but talk about how you need to improve in one area and the extra work you will need to do to get there. People get burned out putting in personal time to get company work done. If they don't get burned out they get frustated at company policy and leave. Then companies just hire someone else and start the process all over again. Sometimes managers are more lax when turnover gets real high. They get tired of training someone all the time if they do the training.
  • georgmicrodong
    14 years ago
    WTF,O? If that chick is too fat for Hooters, there's one in Louisville where about half the women need to be fired. Set the crack pipe aside indeed.

As for their so-called "signature" wings, I believe I may have expressed my disgust for those abominations here before.
  • SuperDude
    14 years ago
    The lawsuit has been filed in the Macomb County Circuit Court (Michigan). The Hooters is next door to a golf driving range where my son and I used to go to hit up as soon as good golf weather arrived. The waitress are usually slim, shapely and good looking. If you are not in that category, can they refuse to hire you? If you fall out of that category, can they fire you? In other words is the "Hooters" look a bona fide occupational qualification (BFOQ) or is it just a waitress job that any woman can do?
  • vincemichaels
    14 years ago
    Yep, the suit has been filed. I am no attorney, but under Michigan law, she is entitled to sue for job discrimination. It sounds like she has a good case. We'll see what the courts decide.
  • DoctorDarby
    14 years ago
    After the episode of Undercover Boss where the Hooters CEO watched in horror as his male manager committed horribly sexist acts against his employees, I am shocked that this is even as issue with this company. This girl looks fine. This kind of discrimination supposedly went out in the freaking 1970's. I understand that the employee has to look decent in the outfit, but quibbling over a few pounds is petty BS and should be out of bounds for a national corporation.
  • MisterGuy
    14 years ago
    Yea, but, if I remember correctly, I don't think that Hooters manager got canned though.
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    DoctorDarby what kind of sexist acts? I am sure there are strip clubs with even worse managers demanding blow jobs from strippers in order to let them to continue working
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion