tuscl

How long should a 'song' be?

Sunday, March 28, 2010 9:26 AM
In a recent review I observed that what seemed to be a great value was undercut by what seemed to be very short songs. A follow-on reviewer of the club timed them at from 75 to 100 seconds. So the question is, how long should a club's songs be in order for it not to negatively impact the Dollar Value Rating?

23 comments

• samsung1
    14 years ago
    Some clubs will play long techno songs that run 5 minutes, while others will clip the songs to less than 2 minutes. Kahoot's started doing the song clipping and I notice a lot of reviews complaining about it. They must have rebuked or replaced the DJ because now they do not clip songs as bad. There is a T-pain song called "The Long Lap Dance Song" it lasts for 4 minutes and 30 seconds.
  • steve229
    14 years ago
    The typical radio song length is probably 3 to 3.5 minutes. I would say that if a club's songs are at least 3 minutes long it is a good value. In my area the clubs that offers 2-4-1's only at certain times (say, a couple times an hour) do cut those songs down. At the club that has 2-4-1's all day long the songs are the usual length. If I was playing DJ for myself, I would slip in Justin Timberlake's "What Goes Around/Comes Around" (clocks in at 7:28). And of course, some of those "extended remixes" go on forever.
  • FunSeeker
    14 years ago
    A typical song should be at least 4 to 5 minutes. In some clubs, sometimes, DJs cut the songs short to 2 to 2.5 minutes, and the patrons end up in holding the bag by paying $20 to $30/song for LDs! This is pure rip-off. I really feel sorry for those guys do not think about how long the songs last.
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    I think kahoot's (and probably several other SCs) clip their songs to try to sell more on the 30 minute VIP rooms.
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    ^^^^By clipping songs, they make the 30 minute VIP rooms look like "bargains"...only problem with that strategy though is the people who go to the VIP rooms are usually not the bargain hunters...
  • minnow
    14 years ago
    Funny that OP should ask this question, seeing that the clubs he's reviewed (I assume he lives in area ) L.A./COI are amoung the most egregious song clippers. So, I'd say anything south of 3 minutes should result in value downgrade. Getting "penalized" $20 or so every 6-10 minutes comes out to a $120-$200/hr effective surcharge on patrons- more than most make in their regular jobs.
  • shadowcat
    14 years ago
    I think the average is about 3 minutes. I use a trick to increase that. I go back during mid song. While we are waiting for the next song to start, we can play grab ass.Of course this only works with favorites.
  • Philip A. Stein
    14 years ago
    The average song should be 15 minutes. Tell me I'm wrong.
  • zipman68
    14 years ago
    I think every song played at a strip club should be either "Freebird" or "Tied to the Whipping Post". Different live versions -- the ones where there are at least two drum solos of at least 20 minutes each. Bonus points if a 10 minute bass solo too. Seriously, I think the trick shadowcat mentioned is the best. Find a girl that is willing to grope and whatever for 2 minutes or so until the song actually starts.
  • vincemichaels
    14 years ago
    IMO, Phillip A. Stein has the right idea, the longer the better
  • babehunter90
    14 years ago
    My favorite local club doesn't even have a DJ--the girls load their personal playlist into the stereo system before they go on stage. Each girl is allotted a certain number of songs per turn on stage, resulting in a lot of long (>5 minutes) songs being played in order to maximize time on stage and therefore tip revenue. Getting cheated on a lap dance due to clipped songs is a non-issue there. Even then, when I buy a dance from my ATF, she'll usually take me back right away and the dance will last for the remainder of the currently playing song plus the entire length of the next song, so a single dance with her can potentially last the better part of 10 minutes.
  • inno123
    14 years ago
    Honestly I can see why a club manager would want to have a standard song length for the club. They have to make sure that the hour gets covered and it works into their revenue model. If one dancer asks for longer songs or shorter songs it could mess up the works. And it isn't just the dancer on stage that is affected, it is also the lap dances and in clubs that measure the VIP in songs them too. So based on comments so far I suggest the following rough standards: less than 90 seconds = 'very short songs' 90 seconds to 2.5 minutes = 'short songs' 2.5 minutes to 3.5 minutes = 'normal length songs' 3.5 minutes to 4.5 minutes = 'long songs' over 4.5 minutes = 'very long songs' So for example with my recent review of SR COI with various free cupons, 3-for-1 and 2-for-1 offers after admission I paid $40 for 7 'songs', but the songs were somewhere around 90 seconds. So the cost would actually be about 23 dollars for an 'average length' song topless.
  • spudd
    14 years ago
    One of the best thing about Playhouse Lounge in NJ is that they have someone to keep time and announces how many dances for each girl. The bad thing is the announcer is watching the rooms with cameras.
  • SuperDude
    14 years ago
    Older guys will remember when AM radio played rock'n roll hits. In the day of the 45rmp record--the single--was always limited to 2.5 to 3 minutes by the record company. That limit was necessary in order to program commercials. When rock FM kicked in, longer tunes were played. And then dance/disco LPs were on side of a 33 1/3 vinyl disc. Anyway, the standard "dance" tune from the '50s and '60s is the 2.5 to 3 minute limit. That's in our brain, but techno, miscounts by dancers and cheating have made it impossible to keep track.
  • snowtime
    14 years ago
    Years ago in Memphis at the old Danny's club they would announce "Purple Rain" and everybody that was considering a lapdance would seek out their favorite. DJ would claim it was the longest song of the night. I seem to remember it ran about 7 minutes. Wish some of today's clubs would start playing it for dances.
  • DandyDan
    14 years ago
    Superdude- That would be the oldies channel. I've been told at my number 2 club that they can choose any song so long as it's between 3 and 5 minutes, anything longer gets cut off. My favorite club has a jukebox, so they can be on stage a long time, although most don't really pick long songs. I do remember a former dancer there named Phoenix who would routinely take the stage for 20 minutes at a time and most of the regulars who were in the know would go get a dance when she was on stage as it would routinely be a long song.
  • magicrat
    14 years ago
    "We learned more from a three minute record, baby than we ever learned in school."
  • casualguy
    14 years ago
    I didn't think about what goes on before the dance starts. Some of that time can be just as fun as the dance. Well if both you and the dancer are familar with each other and in a playful mood. I got a reminder recently with dancers at one club just coming up to me and just asking for dances. No hi, my name is or anything else first. I told them all "No thanks" or "maybe later" just as quick as they asked.
  • casualguy
    14 years ago
    Songs should be a minimum of 3 minutes or longer. 4 to 5 minutes is better. If I ever feel like the club is ripping me off with short songs, I won't buy any lap dances and I believe others catch on rather quick too. Then everyone loses. Well the customers get to leave with their money.
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    ^^^^ Yeah but the customer also has to leave with pent up sexual frustration. Even if the LD does not have happy ending it still helps you blow off steam and escape reality.
  • minnow
    14 years ago
    ss1- In song clipping club, you pay more to achieve a certain level of satisfaction. Lets say the "magic number" is 10 minutes. In non clipper club, 3 songs will do, but the clip clubs may take 4, even 5. So, you're looking at a 33-66% inflation of dance prices. Would you continue to patronize a gas station that cost 33-66% more than another to fill up your tank?
  • SuperDude
    14 years ago
    Hits by Led Zepplin, Iron Butterfly or ZZTop have the right length.
  • MisterGuy
    14 years ago
    "Would you continue to patronize a gas station that cost 33-66% more than another to fill up your tank?" Do they have topless attendants? ;)
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion