tuscl

Staying on Topic

Sunday, July 13, 2008 5:06 AM
I had a beef with some of the comments made in the thread titled, "...Trust you're reviewer". (The word "you're" should have been spelled "your" but that is a minor glitch.) The main problem in that thread was, that one post-er (Jablake) started a long dialogue on traffic conditions, and soon half the words in that thread were on travel conditions as Clubber and Casualguy chimed in. Hey guys -- nothing wrong IMHO with discussing travel conditions! It's an important part of the SC hobby. But why put these complaints and philosophy into a thread about the authenticity of strip club reviews? Why not just start a new thread with a title describing the topic you want to discuss? This would improve the overall quality of the board, I think. My intention is NOT to criticize Jablake, Clubber, or Casualguy. They inadvertently provided a good case study of a recurrent problem with this board that has an easy solution: Stay on topic, and when you want to discuss a different topic, start a new thread.

23 comments

• jablake
    16 years ago
    The OP in that thread wrote "South Miami still sound good." I replied something like South Miami? I believe the OP was thinking of the reviews of Tootsies, which is way north of South Miami. Then my concern shifted to a new traffic problem that was created just a few days ago. A few more creations like what I saw on I-95 and I doubt stipclubbers will want to visit at all. So, I corrected what I believe was a location error concerning where stripclubbing still sounds good. And, I added a warning about travel and went into a lengthy explanation. That explanation along with my comments may NOT be appreciated and perhaps even the correction wouldn't be appreciated. Seems like a simple matter to just skip over it, if you don't care for it---which is probably a majority view, btw. Also, I haven't seen a discussion board yet---maybe I haven't read enough boards---where it stays on topic.
  • CarolinaWanderer
    16 years ago
    I am totaly against lowering the speed limit to 55!
  • casualguy
    16 years ago
    I'll try to remember just to start a new thread instead of responding to a comment within that thread if it's off topic. Sometimes that might depend upon how tired I am when I post. I'm actually more awake now than I was the other night and I've been up all night.
  • wondergrl5
    16 years ago
    ummm as I read the posts I think its not possible arbeeguy
  • parodyman-->
    16 years ago
    arbeeguy, This message board is a fucking free for all. Half of the posters here don't have the attention span, much less the intelligence to stay on topic. CarolinaWanderer is a prime example of this.
  • Clubber
    16 years ago
    arbeeguy, A quick question... When you sit around with people, talking, do you complete a topic of conversation before you move on to another, or do you jump around? That is just how casual conversation flows.
  • casualguy
    16 years ago
    I understand he's like a guy on a mission going into a store. Find the target object, buy it, and get out of the store. Mission accomplished. The casual shopper or female shopper in general now will like to stroll around and look around at other things. You go on a mission you don't like deviations or wasting time on other things. It all depends on your point of view. I do agree that casual conversation tends to jump around a lot. I think there are only a few people posting on here so it shouldn't be that big of deal regardless. Now if you had hundreds or thousands of posters like some web sites, very important to stay on topic if you don't want to lose readers.
  • MisterGuy
    16 years ago
    "I am totaly against lowering the speed limit to 55!" This thread is hillarious...LOL!!! I think we're all just going to have to deal with the fact that there are at least a few people on here that can't resist posting their own random thoughts about anything in just about any thread. Trying to reign in some of the people on here would be like trying to corral a pile of Jello. And that reminds me of how my former boss used to be...oh, nevermind...
  • jablake
    16 years ago
    "This would improve the overall quality of the board, I think." I think that is true, but then the OP would need to stick to his original topic as well. In the thread titled "Trust you're [sic] reviewer," why mention the supposed condition of stripclubbing in different areas of the country? As far as improving the overall quality of the board: Well, different people have different tastes. Some think prolix posts are better and others think laconic posts are better; some believe personal attacks add and some believe personal attacks detract; some believe in posts about off-world stripclubbing, and others believe in more confined topic areas or at least posts that don't scream INSANE!!! :)
  • FONDL
    16 years ago
    I agree with the sentiment of staying on topic but I think it's impossible to do. People are always going to be reminded of something not exactly on-topic that they want to say. I too am against lowering speed limits, but I wish current limits would be enforced more strictly. Excessive speed is killing over 40,000 people a year. That's 40 times the number of soldiers killed in Iraq. And for what? Where are the demonstrations, where's the outrage?
  • jablake
    16 years ago
    "Excessive speed is killing over 40,000 people a year." Maybe worldwide. Here in the U.S. the annual traffic fatalities are about 43,0000-----from ALL causes. I'd be very surprised if exceesive speed was responsible for 40,001 or more of those deaths. "That's 40 times the number of soldiers killed in Iraq. And for what? Where are the demonstrations, where's the outrage?" Likewise the country goes off the deep end when 3,000 people were killed on 9/11. Outlaw fast food and you'd probably save a few 100,000 people. ;)
  • wondergrl5
    16 years ago
    yeah maybe some people just have a poor ability to focus on things. I can ramble on with the best of them but I think some folks are going a bit nuts. (i.e typing essays not posts and answering their own questions) On the other hand I wonder if I should go shopping today and if I should pick paper or plastic cause the social and econimical liberals are saying both are....blah ....blah ....blah ;)
  • FONDL
    16 years ago
    Wondergrl, ask for both. That way you piss everyone off. Sorry Arbeeguy, but how can anyone resist the urge to stray off topic on a staying-on-topic topic? But to get back on topic, seems to me that most topics would die rather quickly if people didn't drift off into something else. We've pretty much dicussed all there is to discuss about strip clubs at least 47 times. In fact if you look at all the current topics of discussion, most of them started out off the topic of strip clubs. So why should anyone feel obliged to stay on topic?
  • jablake
    16 years ago
    ". . . cause I think if we all stayed on topic this board would be more USEFUL, and more ENJOYABLE TO READ "
  • Clubber
    16 years ago
    jablake, What you think is irrelevant to anyone but yourself. It is up to each of us as to what WE enjoy.
  • jablake
    16 years ago
    Hi clubber, Did you notice the quotation marks? Those are arbeeguy's words from his post in the "Trust you're [sic] reviewer," thread. What the heck, I agree with him, but it just isn't doable. Anyway, I was just being overly helpful to FONDL. OK, now that we have that a little clear go smack arbeeguy in the head for suggesting a way to make the board "more USEFUL, and more ENJOYABLE TO READ." I double dare you! ;)
  • jablake
    16 years ago
    Excellent thread, btw. I never realized there was so much hostility to staying on topic. :)
  • arbeeguy
    16 years ago
    CLUBBER -- I agree and disagree with your "bull session analogy". I AGREE that great dialogue often flows from unexpected diversions from an original topic. I spend an hour every week in a no-constraints bull session and it is great. And in no way would I try to impose any rules on this discussion board. People should say what they feel like. But one difference between a face-to-face discussion group and an online discussion board is the delay between posts. The advantage of having multiple topics on the board at the same time is, we can post the thoughts to each different topic, in one sitting. That is nice. And if somebody wants to post a random (irrelevant but possibly interesting) comment, more power to him. But he might also consider the idea of taking that same comment and starting a new thread with it. Consider this as sort of an ideal -- if you do read an irrelevant but interesting comment on a certain thread, why not think about your answer a little and then start a new thread with an appropriate title? Just an idea (ideal). In the meantime, there are no "rules" nor should there be. This board is for our enjoyment and for our enlightenment. Let us continue to enjoy and enlighten, as each of us sees fit.
  • wondergrl5
    16 years ago
    Posts of diffrent thing are cool comments are cool. Even the debates are cool. But ongoing ones that rival Harrison's inaguration speech are annoying
  • Clubber
    16 years ago
    arbeeguy, There are over 1500 topics posted on this site, going back to 03/13/07 2:07 AM. Should we also check all these just to make sure we do not duplicate an existing topic? I look at it simply this way... If the topic gets to far gone, and I have no interest in it, I just no longer read that topic. And those that have nothing to do with TUSCL or strip clubs, I ignore all together. Really quite simple.
  • wondergrl5
    16 years ago
    ASSCLOWN ASSCLOWN ASSCLOWN Not to anyone I just like the word and wanted to get off topic hee hee
  • jablake
    16 years ago
    "1. Assclown 1151 up, 112 down One, who, through the fault of his parents conception, is a skid mark in society's collective underwear. You, my good sir, are an assclown. Comment submitted with request to Delete: 'My Name is assclown and that is offensive' by Chris Oct 23, 2002 email it 0 comments" [view link]
  • parodyman-->
    16 years ago
    A wonderful post by clubber telling us all his criterion for how long and how deeply he will follow a topic. And I thought he would be easily distracted by butterflies. "Really quite simple." -- So are you clubber my friend, so are you. Wondergrl5's infatuation with the phraze Ass Clown couldn't have come at a better time. clubber, shadowcat, david9999 I think it fits you to a tee. Ass Clowns!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion