tuscl

MLB: AL East gets beat!

Mate27
TUSCL’s #1 Soothsayer!
Wednesday, October 4, 2023 11:45 PM
Tis the season. Just watched the Rays and the Blue Jays now out early today, swept by their opponents Rangers and Twins. I love it when young talent gets drafted and crafted within their organization from the bottom up, for which these small markets need to do in order to compete. Orioles are favored over the Rangers, but if you’re the Astro’s do you really want to be playing ball in Minneapolis in October where the shadows grow long and a strong likelihood of cold wind and rain?I think the Twins carry the division series if they can steal one in Houston. Dbacks looking to close out Brewers, too!

24 comments

• blahblahblahs
    10 months ago
    I don't think your observation holds: the Rays have the smallest market in baseball. Rangers play in the largest undivided market (by population) in baseball. Toronto is nominally larger than the Twin Cities, but I wouldn't think of them as a large market team. Still glad the Rays were beaten--they are a dirty club.
  • rawhide
    10 months ago
    big time baseball fraud as the op
  • Longball300
    10 months ago
    Lack of Salary Cap = Baseball Sucks
  • rattdog
    10 months ago
    tampa is one of the best run organizations in the league. i would consider them actually to be the best except for this huge caveat: their starting pitchers over the years tend to have their arms destroyed. charlie morton actually survived and is still pitching for atlanta. yankees and toronto are teams with huge payrolls who just plain flat out suck. boston is slowly rebuilding. baltimore is treading towards the right direction finally. gunnar henderson is a real good player. overall it should be a real good and entertaining post season. maybe some team this year upsets atlanta that's not the dodgers or the astros.
  • Mate27
    10 months ago
    I thought someone would at least point out the fact is that neither of the teams who got beat were the Yankees or the Red Sox. Couldn’t even make the playoffs! There are some things yiu just can’t buy, like the will to win.
  • blahblahblahs
    10 months ago
    Red Sox ownership basically gave up on being competitive when they fired Dave Dombrowski and sold Mookey. Word is that they were fine with third or fourth place finishes, but not ok with a last place finish as it cut into food/concession sales when attendance dropped. They still have the highest ticket prices in baseball and the most expensive beer, but they put out a subpar product. Tampa is a nasty club. They flagrantly violate the three batters rule by faking injuries, but they do cause actual repeated elbow injuries due to forced pitch selection that causes their careers to end just before arbitration (i.e. big payday).
  • rattdog
    10 months ago
    ^civale, eflin and bradley should demand their agents this off season to work their asses to get them out of that organization.
  • FLAP3000
    10 months ago
    As a Cubs fan who suffered through their end of season implosion - it’s more difficult for me to care about the playoffs that much. But I’m pulling for Philly.
  • FLAP3000
    10 months ago
    I want to pull for Baltimore, but they don’t have hardly any brothers on the team. Mullins at CF, but that’s about it…. LOL
  • Mate27
    10 months ago
    Gooooooooo Rangers and Dbacks!
  • skibum609
    10 months ago
    Americans care about football this time of year.
  • Mate27
    10 months ago
    70 years old and can’t remember that all time saying that nothing is as American as baseball and apple pie? Anyway, back on topic as the Orioles will become the 3rd AL East team to get swept in one more game. Love it when the smaller organizations develop young talent through the draft!
  • Hank Moody
    10 months ago
    Kind of a weird grudge to have against a division. And weirder still that you’re cheering against the orioles and rays when praising teams who build through the draft?!
  • motorhead
    10 months ago
    “Americans care about football this time of year” Apparently the WNBA failed to get that memo. This has to be the dumbest move ever. A league struggling to gain traction with the fans scheduled their finals to begin on an NFL Sunday (along with the MLB playoffs). Brilliant!!
  • Muddy
    10 months ago
    It'd be cool to see the Orioles do something although they look like they'll be good for awhile
  • FLAP3000
    10 months ago
    Building through the draft / farm system is the organic way to do it. Unlike the Yankees old system of waiting for other organizations to put in the time and work of developing players - and then just go buy them. That’s so gay…why not develop your own talent.
  • Hank Moody
    10 months ago
    “why not develop your own talent.” There are multiple ways to win. Yankees have money and build through the draft. They have not had a losing season in more than 30 years. They have 5 championships in that time, more than any other team. Is that not enough to prove there is more than one way to do it?
  • motorhead
    10 months ago
    Back when I was a kid, the Orioles were a powerhouse - appearing in 3 straight World Series. Brooks & Frank Robinson, Boog Powell, and Davey Johnson. And the team with four pitchers to win 20 games. That will never, ever happen again. McNally, Palmer, Cuellar and Pat Dobson - the one people forget. Even the 90’s Braves with Maddux, Smoltz and Glavine couldn’t accomplish that. The O’s have been terrible for years. Not a fan, but would be nice to see them in a WS again.
  • Mate27
    10 months ago
    One more game and the Dodgers will bow out in a sweep, too! The small market talents are shining over big payroll so far. Gotta love it when there are no Yankees, Dodgers, Giants, or Red Sox around the diamond in October.
  • blahblahblahs
    10 months ago
    "Americans care about football this time of year." All the major football leagues are on an international break at the moment. The premier league is only 8 games in. It baseball playoff time, and the NHL starts soon.
  • Mate27
    9 months ago
    Down go the Dodgers! Couldn’t even win one game against the lowest seeded team who limped into the playoffs on a 4 game losing streak. Gooooo D-backs!
  • skibum609
    9 months ago
    More people watched the horrible jets Broncos game than every baseball playoff game and real housewives of Atlanta attracts 5x more viewers than the NHL.
  • Mate27
    9 months ago
    Snakes alive(no I don’t mean stupid lawyers)! Phillies get snake bitten again for a second night. Home crowd advantage is evident. Phillies have gone the way of the Yankees model, so the D-Backs have a huge challenge ahead but never would have thought a 6th seeded team could come back like they have from a 100 loss season 2 years ago. 2-2 is what we do, but it’s a must win game at home if they hope to squeeze one out in Philly. Home field is a big advantage, especially against large market teams like the Phillies. Great games these last two nights. Sad to see Houston come back. Hoping to see Rangers back in it.
  • Mate27
    9 months ago
    Well the one thing I got rong was feeling home field would be the advantage. What we all should appreciate is how these big market teams can’t buy a bullpen which the D-Backs crafted. How do you spell relief? D-b-a-c-k-s!! Phillies got snake bitten by the best of the west.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion