Oppenheimer sucked

Sunday, August 27, 2023 1:01 PM
I was excited to she this as I am a history buff, a Christopher Nolan fan, and it’s an original story, not a remake, sequel or super hero schlock. Plus, the cast is great. But… The movie was boring, way too long, and went nowhere despite the blaring sound track. I also thought the focus on the “bad guys” calling out Oppenheimer’s communist sympathies should not have been the good vs evil conflict of the whole freaking movie. Btw - I loved Lincoln with Daniel Day Lewis, so I can be very entertained by the genre.

19 comments

The critics are claiming that the best way to view the movie is at an IMAX theatre but I still have no desire to sit through a 3 hour movie in a crowded theatre.
shadowcat
9 months ago
Disappointed to hear this - this is the first new movie in years I’ve been anxious to see. I’ve read poor reviews on line - but figured they were written by the generations that grew up the “Fast and Furious” and MCU movies. One reviewer cited “too much talking” - well that doesn’t bother me as “12 Angry Men” is in my top 5 films of all time. I love historical films, especially the WW2 era, so I will still check it out once it hits streaming
motorhead
9 months ago
It was indeed long, but it was a fascinating time in US history. Having been to the Los Alamos Lab in NM, it had certainly grown since sprouting out of the NM landscape back then. I was pleased that the story included the challenge of reconciling the incredible science of atomic fission with the massive amount of humanity lost in those two Japan cities. I’m curious, does anyone know the total number of atomic bomb detonations that have occurred on the planet? There was a lot more testing in the Pacific, especially with hydrogen bombs.
azdd
9 months ago
You know what it could have used? A lion character. Also, a wisecracking duo of a warthog and meerkat. And it would be even better if the warthog and meerkat did some glitzy musical numbers. Imma go to Hollywood and offer my consulting services. Maybe even start a production company. I wonder if “Dead Wildebeest Productions” is taken… ROAR!!!
rickthelion
9 months ago
^i know ! I went in excited to see it and wanted to love it. Literally the first movie I saw in the theater in years! I like dense historical dramas (Napoleon better be good - the trailer looks great!) but they somehow tried to appeal to people wanting an action movie I guess - which it definitely wasn’t. Can’t say they actors/director didn’t try hard to do something, but it was an epic fail imo. Wait until you can stream it or whatever.
Studme53
9 months ago
^ Thanks for the vote of confidence regarding my Dead Wildebeest Productions company Stud ape. You’ll be seeing more lion characters in film soon. ROAR!!!
rickthelion
9 months ago
@azdd - I found this video a long time ago, it was very east to find again [view link]
gammanu95
9 months ago
Damn. I was looking forward to seeing this movie too but skeptical. I loved Tenet (Nolan’s last piece of work).
shailynn
9 months ago
Thanks for the heads up, but I still hear good things about Barbie. Friends took their daughters to it for the second time, but wait to stream that one, too.
Mate27
9 months ago
If Margot Robbie gets naked I’ll be at every showing
motorhead
9 months ago
^ ha ha She’s so hot. An she inspired a generation of Halloween (only) sluts to dress like a slutty Harley Quinn
Studme53
9 months ago
how to rescue a sucky movie - cast christopher walken with some cowbell. or al pacino with his lil friend.
rattdog
9 months ago
One of my favorite Christopher Walken roles was as the villain in The Rundown with The Rock and Rosario Dawson. They gave Walken some great dialog and he made pure gold of it. That may have been Dwayne Johnson's best film. His recent work has pretty much been shit.
gammanu95
9 months ago
Walken’s great. He’s in upcoming Dune 2 as the Emperor. The Rock sucks. I don’t get the appeal. He makes Arnold look like a great actor.
Studme53
9 months ago
@azdd This is a nice visual representation of atomic weapons testing, worldwide. I suppose if you just jump to the end of the clip, the total number of tests will be there. [view link]
jaybud999
9 months ago
myehhh......I posted my clip AFTER seeing Gammu already posted it! Sorry.
jaybud999
9 months ago
thanks for the link. I watched it and it's unnerving... been over 2000 nuclear tests since 1945.
Jascoi
9 months ago
To each his own I suppose. To me, the movie was outstanding on all levels - script, actor quality, cinematography, and sound (which won't be matchable at home without an excellent sound system). I see about 10 movies in theater per year (including squeezing in all Oscar nominated best pictures I haven't already seen following announcement (January) and before award show (March). Oppenheimer is the best movie I've seen so far in 2023. Perhaps Killers of the Flower Moon (release in Oct) will beat it. If you have a thing for Florence Pugh, there's a lot of topless Florence in it.
DeclineToState
9 months ago
@rickthelion: Why not just buy MGM? They already have one of your bro's from another mother shown at the beginning of every movie - ROAR🤣
ATACdawg
9 months ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion