tuscl

Better solo or in the band?

Some artists start out in a band then go solo or even the opposite like Joe Walsh. You guys have examples of what you like better?

Police or Sting. I mean I like some of stings solo songs but if you played his albums I might fall sleep, he got a lot softer after the police. But The Police on the other hand, I mean in my opinion you got three of the greatest on their respective instruments and sting one of the greatest frontmen ever, (best song writer, most charisma, bassist, all that shit. He wrote so m if of their shit, Every little thing she does is magic that is just incredible, and Copeland and Summers drums and guitar) it’s just tough top it.

Genesis vs Phil Collins. I like Genesis Phil Collins, (not really a fan of Peter Gabriel Genesis) but I’m a big Phil Collins solo fan, I like the poppy, direction he went in, a lot people don’t like that but I just loved all that Phil Collins solo shit. I’m bummed he hung up for good this past year. I’ll take solo here.

19 comments

• mike710
    2 years ago
    Paul McCartney, Michael Jackson, Ozzie and Clapton probably all had more success as solo artists than in their respective bands. There are a lot of examples probably but I can't think of them all.
  • rattdog
    2 years ago
    joan jett
    lita ford
    ronnie james dio
    rod stewart
    peter frampton
    gwen stefani

• docsavage
    2 years ago
    Each of the Beatles was not as good individually as they were together in a group. There is often a synergistic effect in a band where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. A more recent example is Billie Eilish and her brother Finneas. He has superior production talents and is a more prolific songwriter, but she adds a darkness to their music which makes it somewhat unique for pop music and more interesting.
  • Warrior15
    2 years ago
    Stevie Nicks / Fleetwood Mac
  • rockie
    2 years ago
    The solo work of Van Morrison far exceeds the band (Them) that first brought him public attention with the song "Gloria" among others. I prefer all Steve Winwood solo works, but enjoy most of his group efforts with The Spencer Davis Group and Traffic (among others). John Fogerty was the stellar talent in Creedence Clearwater Revival, but his best solo efforts do not exceed the group efforts of the band (CCR).

Eric Clapton rules (Collaboratively or Solo)!

• Hank Moody
    2 years ago
    Do you specifically mean ‘bands’ and not ‘groups?’ Not this board’s typical demo but Beyoncé (Destiny’s Child) and Justin Timberlake (*NSYNC) were super successful with their groups and then super ridiculously successful as solo acts.
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    Not saying that Diana Ross was bigger than the Supremes, but going solo certainly did not hurt her career

She sold an enormous amount of records in the 70’s and 80’s as a solo artist
  • datinman
    2 years ago
    velvet underground > Lou Reed
    Peter Gabriel > Genesis
    Beatles > Wings > McCartney solo albums
    Pavement > Stephen Malkmus
  • SirLapdancealot
    2 years ago
    Stevie Nicks > Fleetwood Mac
    Peter Gabriel > Genesis
    Phil Collins = Genesis
    Ice Cube < NWA
    Dr. Dre = NWA
    Peter Murphy < Bauhaus
    Henry Rollins > Black Flag
    Mike Watt > Minutemen > Firehouse
    Bryan Ferry < Roxy Music
    Justin Timberlake > NSYNC
  • datinman
    2 years ago
    Replacements > Paul Westerberg
    Talking Heads >>>> David Byrne
  • SirLapdancealot
    2 years ago
    Danzig < Misfits
  • SirLapdancealot
    2 years ago
    PIL (Johnny Rotten) << Sex Pistols
  • SirLapdancealot
    2 years ago
    PIL < < Sex Pistols
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    Kenny Rogers and Lionel Ritchie Better solo the the First Edition and the Commodores
  • crosscheck
    2 years ago
    SirLap - I think you meant fIREHOSE not Firehouse. BIG difference there.
  • SirLapdancealot
    2 years ago
    @crosscheck yes absolutely Firehouse. Ducking autocorrect.
  • SirLapdancealot
    2 years ago
    Firehose!!!
  • crosscheck
    2 years ago
    ^ The first Firehouse album is quite good though…
  • Cashman1234
    2 years ago
    I may not be popular after this one - but I like Dave Grohl in the Foo Fighters more than I did when he was with Nirvana. That’s not a proper answer to the OP’s question.

I think Fleetwood Mac got full of themselves - and that was a mistake. Stevie Nicks voice was incredible, and she really made their sound.

I loved Natalie Merchant’s solo work - possibly more than her music with 10,000 maniacs. I think her voice was pretty impressive on its own.

In terms of Genesis, I look at it as Phil Collins band. I think Peter Gabriel needed to be a solo artist, to explore different music genres. Phil Collins with Genesis and solo seem very similar to me.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion