tuscl

What's the temperature setting on your thermostat?

Many Euro countries have put limits on thermostat settings to save energy. It is 27C (80.6F) for cooling and is 19C (66.2F) for heating.

25 comments

• yahtzee74
    2 years ago
    For summer I've had it as high as 81F and was comfortable but most of the time but it's usually set it for 78F. The lowest I can stand in winter is 68F.
  • Tetradon
    2 years ago
    69 all year round, no coincidence. When it gets too hot I get severe headaches and nausea. Fuck the Euros.
  • shailynn
    2 years ago
    Those numbers seem insane to me. I live where it gets cold in the winter, so…

Usually 70 or 71 in the winter (can range from 69 to 72).

In the summer it’s usually set around 73/74

My wife is always freezing her ass off - if it was just me I’d probably have the heat set to 68 or 69 in the winter but I don’t think I could go higher than 74 in the summer!

Don’t most European countries typically have a milder summer than here in the states?
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    We keep the thermostat at 78 year round, it’s comfortable and regulates the humidity which in my opinion is a big factor in whether a temperature is comfortable.
  • Dolfan
    2 years ago
    77 during the day, 75 at night. I almost never turn on the heat, the one time every 3 or 4 years I do I play it by ear. Looking at the chart from the thermostat, my usage cratered from an average of like 14hrs a day the previous few weeks down to 3 this week.

When I lived in another area with another power company, I used to have one of those contraptions that allowed them to shut off my AC in times of high demand. They gave a pretty significant discount and promises about max duration and more importantly the frequency of use, plus it was there when I bought the place. At the new house they keep trying to get me to install one, but the discount is about a third of what the old place was and the limits on how much they can use it are much more in their favor.

• shadowcat
    2 years ago
    74-76 daytime. 68-70 night time. Lower when I am not home for an extended time.
  • PhredJohnson
    2 years ago
    Florida: 77 in summer
    Michigan: 62 in winter
  • Hank Moody
    2 years ago
    AC in hot months at 76-78. 75 at night. Heat in cold months 68 and 64 at night. Smart thermostat that shuts everything down when we’re at work or otherwise it home.
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    I’d be ok with 66 in the winter. That’s about where I like it. Sometimes I’ll move it up to 66 or 69. Never over 70

Summer 71 or below with 68 at night
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    I get nauseous and headaches when it's too hot as well.

In LA if its too hot I like to set it to 68 and keep a few windows open a little coz I'm close enough to the beach. In Vegas I set it to 75.

In the winter I keep it at 75. But I don't like using the heat. It makes the air really dry.
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    In the summer the house is kept at 68 and the bedroom at 62. In the winter the house is kept at 68 and the bedroom at whatever it is outside down to 10 (wife leaves at 22 or so).
  • Mate27
    2 years ago
    80 in the summer and 65 winter. My electric averages only $120/month all year round, and has averages around $30. I’ve had solar people try to tell me switching will save me $$ financially, and I tell them I can invest the funds it would take for the upfront costs and still come out ahead after paying my piddly $150/month for gas and electric. My investments earn over $300/month on $30k principal, which about how much a fully built solar system costs at a minimum.
  • Warrior15
    2 years ago
    AC at 72 in the summer. Heat at 68 in the winter. I do kinda like to sleep with it a little cooler than those temps though.
  • chimera422
    2 years ago
    Heat the house to 68, cool the house to 72

My thermostat has wake, day, eve, night time blocks, used to use them prpandemic during the week, but I WFH somoftern, I just leave it at one setting now
  • whodey
    2 years ago
    I prefer it to be much colder at night to help me sleep so I use different temperatures at night than during the day. Heat in the winter is set at 70 from 7am-11pm and 66 from 11pm-7am. Air conditioning in the summer is set at 75 from 7am-11pm and 66 from 11pm-7am.

I am going to use my wood burning stove more this year than in recent years to help keep from running the furnace as much. Living out in the country I don't have a natural gas line run to the house and so I use a heating oil fueled furnace. I just got my first load of heating oil and it was over $1500 for 250 gallons. Last February that same 250 gallons ran me $980 and back in 2020 it was around $600/load. I know inflation has driven up the prices on everything but it has hit any petroleum based products like gas and fuel oil especially hard.

Since I had six trees that were each 60+ ft tall come down on the back side of my property in early July as a tornado passed overhead I spent almost 6 weeks cutting and splitting them into firewood so that should last a while. I'm hoping to only need 1 more load of heating oil this winter as a result of using the firewood compared to the 4 total loads of oil I got last winter.
  • Jascoi
    2 years ago
    74 degrees Fahrenheit year round wherever i am.
  • minnow
    2 years ago
    Cooling Season: 72-75 daytime, 70-72 night. Whatever it takes to get regular air flow
    Heating Season: 70-72 daytime, 65-70 night, depending on heat flow.
  • docsavage
    2 years ago
    74 all year round. I feel uncomfortable if it is higher than that. The best widespread adoption in my lifetime of a new invention by far was air conditioning. I was miserable as a child in the sixties during the hot Indiana summers in a house with no air conditioning and hated summer. Now that I'm old I've come to dislike winter instead. The slippery ice-covered streets and sidewalks seem more dangerous since falling becomes a greater fear the older you get.

• Muddy
    2 years ago
    Right now, I put it all the way down still it's not that cold yet around me, but it's usually low to mid 60's. Damn some of you guys live in saunas.
  • Jascoi
    2 years ago
    I don’t like layers of blankets.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    One thing I haven't seen anyone mention, is ceiling fans, I have one in each room of my house, they work so well, that no one ever says the house is uncomfortable, and we host some large gatherings a few times a year. The people that prefer the temperature a little cooler when they sleep, would save a bundle on their electric bill, and enjoy a gentle breeze cooling them off.
    A high quality ceiling fan usually costs under $300, and has variable fan speeds, and pays for itself in very short order.
  • crosscheck
    2 years ago
    Heat at 66 degrees. A/C in the summer at 72 degrees.
  • shailynn
    2 years ago
    Interesting to see all the different temps, I also know where some users live so their temps make more sense.

For me, it was 34 degrees and raining on Tuesday, and by Thursday at noon it was back to 75 degrees and sunny. I hate having to crank the heat in the morning in my car then by noon I’m running the AC.
  • gammanu95
    2 years ago
    Every degree below 78F adds 10-12% to your energy costs. Having said that, 78 is just too warm. I set the thermostat for 76 when I'm home and awake, 78 when I'm at work or away, and 74 when I'm sleeping.

I love being and to afford whatever I want.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Gammanu you're so rich you troll clubs for cheap hookers while researching neonazi conspiracy theories... 🤡
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion