tuscl

Dancer's Song Selections

DougS
Florida
I had an interesting conversation with a dancer a few weeks ago, about the songs that she selects to have played when she's on stage. I always thought that a dancer would select songs that were fun to dance to, or songs that got the crowd into a party mood... or maybe even songs that turned her, or a particular customer on.

My dancer friend, shot that theory all to hell. We were OTCing, and she was going through my extensive iTunes collection on my computer for songs that she wanted to listen to. While she was going through it, she pointed out a few songs that she said almost always were on her list when she "served her time on stage", as she put it. She then added, "can you guess why?". Of course I listed off several guesses, including the ones mentioned above. "Nope", she says... because they are all SHORT songs. She said she always finds the songs that last the least amount of time so that she doesn't have to stay on stage any longer than she has to.

20 comments

• shadowcat
    17 years ago
    At my favorite club, usually the dancer does not have a choice. The DJ picks it. Most common complaint is "How the fuck am I supposed to dance to that."
  • MisterGuy
    17 years ago
    One of my former ATFs in NY state would try and play songs that were ~2 mins. long to minimize the amount of time that she spent on stage aggrevating her back. The reality for most dancers is...the less time spent onstage...the more time spent off-stage earning real money in private dances.
  • DandyDan
    17 years ago
    I suppose I never really thought about that, at least in clubs where they get to choose their own music. I suppose it accounts for one of my favorites playing Elvis every so often. (I don't think Elvis ever did any long songs.) On the other hand, another of my favorites loves to play long songs and will go 20 minutes at a time, which is about twice as long as anyone else.
  • evilcyn
    17 years ago
    We play music out of a jukebox, Drives me batty because I am so picky about my music..
    I will dance to a long good song anyday rather then a short bad one..
    Some of my songs are 8 minutes long, plus whatever my second song is..
    Being on stage, as long as you are truely dancing helps keep you in shape is the way I look at it during the slow times of a shift...
  • jimmyblong
    17 years ago
    Most clubs now cut songs short to a consistent length. That way none of the girls can bitch about dj's playing longer songs for certain girls keeping them trapped on stage. It also keeps us guys from getting super long lap dances, can I say "inna godda davida baby". Years ago, in the 90's, my favorite club used to love playing 'stranglehold' by ted nugent. Over 7 minutes long and the best bang for the lap dance buck. Now clubs are lucky to give you 3 minutes. I also miss hearing full length songs while just hanging out at a club.
  • shadowcat
    17 years ago
    Now I have never used a stop watch to time songs but I am told by my favorite dancers at my favorite club that the night time DJ's play shorter songs than the day shift. I am also told that the songs played on an announced two for one are also shorter. I rarely go for an announced 2 for one. I get them anyway. And I have always preferred the day shift. I have got my shit together.
  • MisterGuy
    17 years ago
    Yea, I've been to clubs too when the jukebox will cutoff the songs at 4 mins. or whatever. With digital technology, I'm guessing it's a tad easier to be a DJ these days.
  • DougS
    17 years ago
    The length of songs is usually not a concern to me at all, when I'm in my fav club. I usually just go for the VIP dance, which is 30 min, and even at that, I tend to get much more than 30 min for my money, making a great deal an even better one.
  • chitownlawyer
    17 years ago
    I have known dj's to torture dancers by intentionally playing undanceable songs.

I remember being in BBF with Chandler when he had the good fortune to be getting a couch dance when the song was "LA Woman". Is that 9:00 minutes long, Chandler?
  • Philip A. Stein
    17 years ago
    I was at a club before Christmas. The girls were doing two song sets. They each had to do a Christmas song. It sucked. After one round they quit.
  • chandler
    17 years ago
    It's close to that, Chitown. I looked it up when I posted my review. It think it was around 7 or 8 minutes. I know I had some other two song sessions there that lasted well over 10 minutes. Most clubs I go to don't cut songs, but Brad's is exceptional for having a DJ and still playing a lot of really long songs. Maybe that will all change with their new gouging policies.
  • SuperDude
    17 years ago
    Maybe I'm showing my age (turned 62 on 1/10/08) but a lot of the music is undanceaable and unlistenable. Unless a lap dance is in progress, I find it hard to listen to a lot of music in clubs.
  • MisterGuy
    17 years ago
    Happy B-day SuperDude...
  • shadowcat
    17 years ago
    SuperDude: Happy birthday. I'll be 66 on the 13th and plan to spend it at my favorite club with Trogangreg, StripShopper,rob0411, Shekitout and Pop and maybe some others. Also been promised some freebies by a couple of favorites.
  • ThisOldManPlayed1
    17 years ago
    Don't forget the 30 minute and 60 minute special LD options offered. Won't have to worry about length of songs, just length of time spent with a dancer. Do the calcuation and see if you don't get a better bargain with these specials. Of course, I highly recommend a trial run (1 LD) before committing yourself for a longer period.
  • TessieV
    17 years ago
    I work at a club where we do three-song sets. Even with the shorter songs, this is still a long time to be on-stage. However, I'd much rather dance to 3 long songs than I like that a short song that I don't.
  • MisterGuy
    17 years ago
    I think the two short songs (~2 mins) that one of my ATFs used to dance to were "Waiting for my Ruca" (Sublime) and the "Wait" song (Ying Yang Twins?) maybe. She'd just use them for the 2nd song in a 3-song set where she had to go out into the audience to do short, $1 mini-laps, which she pretty much hated to do.
  • Book Guy
    17 years ago
    I wouldn't know shit about current pop and rap music if it weren't for strip clubs. I'd just be another fogey clueless about which pumpkin got smashed ...
  • ThisOldManPlayed1
    17 years ago
    At my usual club, I have become good friends with one of the DJs. I bought him a "shot" tonight. The rest of the evening, whenever I gave him the 'high sign', that I was going in the back to get LDs, he would always play the 4 and 5 minute songs for me.
    It works like a charm!
  • Book Guy
    17 years ago
    DJs don't get tipped often enough. Just $1 to indicate you're listening, is often enough. Ball it up and throw it over the booth wall while they're looking -- it's fun to them, usually, kind of.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion