tuscl

Most scenic state in the contiguous U.S.?

I'll say contiguous because I feel like Alaska would be a thread killer. I still haven't been there, would love to visit but hate to live there. Anyway lets keep it to the lower 48...

Despite being from the east, I'll be honest in this department I really think the western half of America really runs away with it IMO. I haven't been to Idaho or Montana yet but I feel like they would be in the discussion too I had been. For me it's between Colorado, Oregon and California. Colorado if it wasn't so God Damn isolated (nearest next major city is awhile away) I'd probably like to live there. Those mountains are incredible and driving anywhere through that state is a trip. Oregon I don't think I could ever live in Antifa's homeland but talk about an underrated state physically. The Oregon coast is so cool, you never hear about it either.

Ultimately though I'll give it California, in a lot of way it's because of it's beauty that caused it's downfall, if it looked like some random midwestern state people wouldn't tolerate the bullshit. But for me it's hard to beat Coastal California in the looks department.

Every likes different shit though, I would like to what you guys think

35 comments

• twentyfive
    2 years ago
    I liked California along the coast north of San Francisco, but dont sell upstate New York short especially in the winter, have you ever been in the area around Lake Placid or the Finger lakes, and don't leave out Vermont, it too is gorgeous in the winter. also The Smokies in Tennessee is pretty goddamn spectacular as well, there's an awful lot of scenic places, all over it's pretty tough to really be so specific.
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    Montana.

Glacier Park itself makes the state number one. Jaw-dropping scenery.

But additionally, a small portion of Yellowstone is located in Montana and breathtaking Beartooth Highway which connects Yellowstone with Red Lodge is one of the most beautiful drives in the country
  • how
    2 years ago
    Utah
  • bkkruined
    2 years ago
    Different people definitely like different shit.

The Red Rock formations in Utah, Nevada, wherever else they are... I definitely admire the beauty, but want nothing to do with the heat and dryness.

The Mountains along Montana and Wyoming....

Badlands in Dakota...

Lake Coeur d'Alene in Idaho...

And in Oregon the scenery of the Northern California coast just gets better. But Eastern Oregon, and Washington, is more tumble weed blowing across the plains kinda place... (the only place I've seen 4 foot balls of tumble weed blown down the road...)

But a lot of this is in extremely rugged places that's a challenge to live with.

And, Oregon? scared of Antifa? You must really watch fox news too much... And have no idea of the level of activity from extreme right wing groups in that state....

(not to mention the whole history with Rajneeshpuram...)
  • TheeOSU
    2 years ago
    Seriously although some states are far above others regarding beauty I think all states have some extremely scenic areas.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    2 years ago
    Probably Montana or Wyoming.

That said, I spent some time ranging around New Mexico and Arizona. Those are also beautiful states.
  • Eltriste
    2 years ago
    California
    Florida
    North Carolina
    Mississippi
  • Eltriste
    2 years ago
    New Mexico
    Arizona
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    Very tough question and there are beautiful spots in every state. We've driven to Montana within the past 15 months as well as Colorado. Motorhead is right about Beartooth Pass. It might be the best view on earth from the top and the drive is incredible. The drive through Glacier is incredible as well. So, with two of the top three drives in the country (Coast Highway in California) it should be Montana, except for the vacant, featureless east. Idaho gets my vote. The Panhandle is amazing with lakes and mountains; Sun Valley is stunning, and Craters of the Moon is cool. The mountains are jagged and interesting. Not for nothing they're called the Sawtooths. To be fair watching the sunrise on Mt Desert is also fabulous.
  • nicespice
    2 years ago
    I don’t really like to “rank” states—even Kansas and Oklahoma can be peaceful driving through with nothing else around but farmland. (Their tolls for their roads with slow speed limits and that not the best maintenance are annoying though, ugh)

For an underrated area, I’ll give a shout out to the Texas Hill Country. (Though it’s less underrated than it used to be)

But if I have to choose, I’ll go ahead and vote California. It’s definitely the most diverse scenery when driving straight through. I do want to explore more of that state as a tourist.
  • Muddy
    2 years ago
    Yeah all good points, just to note for me, I just love America there's no place where I think this is ugly, it's just different. Although in the east, there can just be a lot trees, and driving through, your not able to see a whole helluva lot outside of Appalachia. For me there's just something about the Cascade and Rockie mountain ranges that just has that wow factor.
  • Eltriste
    2 years ago
    The worst would have to be eastern Colorado.
  • Huntsman
    2 years ago
    I think there are places in every state with beautiful scenery but I’d vote for California if I had to pick one state.
  • georgmicrodong
    2 years ago
    Don't disagree with most of the opinions here, but if you don't visit Letchworth State Park in upstate NY, you're missing out. Also the Allegany National Forest in northwester PA. And of course, the Appalachian Trail, and that doesn't even touch the rest of the east coast.

I don't think any one state has a lock on "the most beautiful" appellation. They all have their attractions.
  • grand1511
    2 years ago
    Maine is a hidden gem. Forests that go right up to the ocean. And the occasional lighthouse.
  • Muddy
    2 years ago
    @grand that's a good point, the Maine coast is definitely a sight to behold and underrated. And Northern Maine is about as desolate as it gets in the east if that's what your going for.
  • FishHawk
    2 years ago
    I have had the good fortune to live in many parts of this country and all have some beautiful drives. If I had to pick I would choose the Oregon Coast. It is jaw dropping gorgeous.
  • Mate27
    2 years ago
    I wouldn’t live there but California is good to visit scenery.
  • Ulrik79
    2 years ago
    I'll put in a vote for my home state of Michigan. Beautiful lakes, dunes, and forests. More coastline than any state in the lower 48.
  • shadowcat
    2 years ago
    From 35.000 ft the Grand Canyon is hard to beat.
  • TheElmerFudd
    2 years ago
    Michigan is a beautiful state that’s often underrated. It doesn’t have the longest coastline in the lower 48 states though
  • mike710
    2 years ago
    From a diversity standpoint, California has the highest mountain in the 48 and the lowest and hottest point int North America in Death Valley. There is an Ultrmarathon run in the summer called Badwater between Death Valley and Mt. Whitney.

There's also redwood forests, sand dunes and numerous coastal communities that are all different.

That being said, I have driven back roads in Colorado between Denver and Durango in 4 corners. That was a very cool drive.

I also drove back roads between Phoenix and Lake Tahoe. I madea stop at the Grand Canyon and Cedar City Utah. I took backroads over the mountains and drove on the "Loneliest Highway in America" Highway 50 out of Cedar City to Carson. Driving that road you don't see I ther cars for hours and have to pee on the side of the road. There was one stop that warned you several times to stop for gas because only have one stop for gas for hours.

Only regret I had on the drive was picking up a sad looking German dude at the gas stop. He was nice enough and gVe me a warm beer but he wouldn't shut the fuck up for hours.

I drove this in July and caught snow in Tahoe on July 7th. Was a cool adventure in my early 20s.
  • ilbbaicnl
    2 years ago
    I'll pick New Mexico, the part you see driving through on I-40. Aside from the painted desert, somehow the rain clouds are higher up there. I can remember seeing a line of three blue-grey rainstorms moving east. The rain itself looking like a veil hanging down from the storm. You can see entire storms in the Texas Panhandle too. But they are pure grey, lack the blueish tint. Honorable mention to the Arizona mesa lands. Interesting to drive through through West Texas on I-10. Except for the blue sky, it looks like you're driving on the Moon. The dust devils on I-10 in the California desert are cool, just hold the steering wheel tight when one hits your vehicle. There are plenty of freeway exits in the Cali desert onto dirt roads. If you drive a few miles from the freeway, you'll never hear a quieter quiet. I-10 in Louisiana looks like an endless bridge over and endless swamp. And the only time I was ever panhandled at a highway rest stop, it was on I-10 in Louisiana.

It's a beautiful drive along the St. Laurence river near Quebec City, but I guess that's cheating.
  • jackslash
    2 years ago
    I agree with Nicespice about the Texas Hill Country. It's especially beautiful in spring when all the wildflowers bloom.
  • loper
    2 years ago
    So many good choices. Montana and Washington would top my list.
  • shailynn
    2 years ago
    Picking California is almost unfair since it’s bigger than all the New England states combined, probably bigger than the entire mid Atlantic region.

This wouldn’t be my pick but I’d have to say Utah was unlike any other state I’ve been in and that makes it so unique to me. I’m used to being surrounded by trees and grass so going somewhere like that is so different.

After reading all the responses I’m struggling to accept why I live where I do. Not very exciting compared to other places mentioned but I’m sure many of us are in the same boat.
  • Cashman1234
    2 years ago
    I would rather mention some of the beautiful areas that folks might not realize are there - and not rank the best.

I lived in a coastal area of Maine, and the beauty was unexpected, as the rocky coast and ocean come together beautifully. Acadia is beautiful as well.

If you take Rt 80 towards the NJ/Pa border, there are beautiful views of the rugged mountains by the Delaware Water Gap. If you go a little farther into Pa, Bushkill falls is very nice.

I’ve been to the mountains of Utah and it is impressive as well. The areas in Idaho can be impressive as well. It is almost a view from out of this world, moving up to the Ketchum area of Idaho.

One place that impressed me with its beauty was the Lake Tahoe area. I only spent about an hour there as a 12 year old kid, but I remember the scenic beauty of the lake and the mountains even to this day.

I’ve never seen the Grand Canyon, and it’s one place on my bucket list. I wouldn’t go Brady Bunch and take a donkey to the bottom - but I’d love to see it.
  • crazyjoe
    2 years ago
    Everyone knows it is Colorado
  • mark94
    2 years ago
    Pretty subjective topic. Here’s one objective set of data: number of National Parks
    California 9
    Alaska 8
    Utah 5
    Colorado 4
  • PinkSugarDoll
    2 years ago
    I have driven everywhere. And I’m from the west. So I’ll take this one.

The answers are, in no particular order:

Utah
    California
    Montana
  • PinkSugarDoll
    2 years ago
    Also Washington is BEAUTIFUL but I didn’t say it bc I didn’t want to be biased.
  • datinman
    2 years ago
    I'm going to pick Florida for most scenic. The state is surrounded by beaches.

So, whether you're enjoying glistening bubble butts of Latina beauties swaying down Miami beaches, or the rosy pink glow of freshly sun burnt European MILFs lying on the beaches of Sarasota, or the bouncing titties of nubile FSU coeds frolicking in the surf at Panama City beaches, it's hard to beat the views in Florida.

Plus the state probably has the most strip clubs, especially nude, of any state.

Now they don't have glaciers or geysers, but if you prefer butts to buttes, Florida can't be beat.
  • crosscheck
    2 years ago
    Having spent four years there in college, I have to say that Virginia, particularly the western half (Blue Ridge - Shenandoah Valley) is very pretty.
  • Cashman1234
    2 years ago
    I think datinman just made a very good argument for Florida. Considering the audience here - I appreciate his targeted approach!
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    2 years ago
    In New England it's going to be a tough pick between Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine (particularly the Maine coast). It's not talked about a lot, but Western Massachusetts has some pretty areas. I don't think of Rhode Island as scenic because I live here, but people occasionally remind me that the RI coast and beaches are pretty great.

Fuck Connecticut.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion