tuscl

Brian Flores Lawsuit

shailynn
They never tell you what you need to know.
Lots of accusations are being thrown around on this one in the last few days. Right in time for the Super Bowl eh?!?!?

31 comments

• skibum609
    3 years ago
    He's a finalist for the Houston job ..................
  • rattdog
    3 years ago
    bill o'brien wasn't enough?

when will gm's and owners figure out that hiring hoody's helpers will not them the next hoody?
  • ATACdawg
    3 years ago
    Apparently there is some supporting testimony from other sources on his allegations of offers to pay for throwing games. That would also explain him being canned after a successful season.
  • sweetjamesjones
    3 years ago
    I applaud him for exposing the business. Unfortunately he will probably never work again in the nfl after this lawsuit (similar to Kaepernick) which is sad because he is a good coach.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    "... That would also explain him being canned after a successful season ..."

Not making the playoffs is not a successful season
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    IDK the details of the situation - I don't watch woke ESPN anymore so not up to date on sports as I used to be - I heard that part of what he was alleging was racism b/c he was interviewed for a job for which apparently the team had already had someone else in mind or had already hired someone else(?) - if this is the case then I think in part it has to do w/ that stupid Rooney rule where a team looking for a HC has to interview a black coach no-matter-what (as far as I understand it) - it might have been a well-intentioned rule but obviously counterproductive to black coaches themselves that may only get interviewed b/c the team has to check off a box during the hiring process.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    w.r.t. the tanking allegations - if true I would doubt the Dolphins are the first team in pro-sports to do this.

Pro sports is big-business and they all want to win - I can't see why a team would not want to hire a black-coach if they thought he gave them the best chance to win.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    From some of what I've heard on the radio; it seems Flores was sorta imitating Belichick in that he wanted total control and was thus clashing w/ GM Chris Grier who is also black - and supposedly some players were complaining about Flores being too-tough - of course hard to know for sure who's being truthful:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1002…
  • mike710
    3 years ago
    I'm not a "white" American. Just an American. I would never ask, or want, to be considered on anything but my talent and skills. Period.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    ^ yeah - it's past time we stop assigning people to different racial groups - seems nothing good comes out of that - I've heard that in France everyone is just considered French and not black French or w/e - I think this is likely the case in most countries
  • Dave_Anderson
    3 years ago
    The only people "discriminated" against in the NFHell are white players.

When do we get affirmative action for white and other non-black players in the NFHell and NBA?
  • Dave_Anderson
    3 years ago
    That's why two of the top three candidates for the French Presidency want to save the native French population from demographic oblivion? We can have equality without demographic obliteration.
  • mark94
    3 years ago
    The Rooney rule, like any form of government intervention, is going to generate all sorts of schemes for getting around it. Every regulation results in an industry of lawyers and consultants looking for loopholes.
  • mark94
    3 years ago
    The most easily provable part of the lawsuit involves the claim that his interview for the Giant’s job was a sham.

Belichick sent a congratulatory text to Flores thinking Flores had gotten the Giants job. But Flores’ interview was still coming up and Belichick realized he sent the text to the wrong Brian – it was meant to go to former Bills OC and new Giants coach Brian Daboll.

The other claims will be tough to prove. This claim has a paper trail.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    Maybe this will serve to remove the problematic Rooney rule.

Although I can see the NFL trying to enact some other counterproductive affirmative action type rule(s) to save face.
  • motorhead
    3 years ago
    The Rooney Rule is a joke.

It states that you have to interview potential head coaching candidates based on their race—not on performance, experience, or potential.

If that isn't racism at its purest form, then I don't know what is.
  • mark94
    3 years ago
    The real risk to the NFL is that claims of racism lead to
    1. Labor problems with the NFLPA, or
    2. Congressional grandstanding on the NFL’s exemption from monopoly restrictions.

Both of those pose an existential threat.
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    The simple fact is that the politization of pro sports have made all but the NHL unwatchable. The first time I ever watched color television was the very first super bowl and I have seen every one...so far. If the Patriots made it this year, we were going to blow off a couple of days of skiing in Colorado and drive to Vegas to watch it with friends. I would never tell anyone I know this, but I was glad when the patriots failed and this year, I can ski all day because I won't watch the game. I haven't even read an article.
    Interesting thought -- how are teams tanking racism? Oh yeah, I forgot, it's ALWAYS racism. By the way, for all of you who have children and grandchildren: How do you think their lives are going to be after 60 years of importing foreigners of color and having progressive public-school teachers that all whites are evil, their enemy and will cause them to fail? America: Born from immigration; murdered by immigration.
    "12 new time to ski.
  • crosscheck
    3 years ago
    With regard to Flores and the Dolphins, it is an unarguable fact that Ross is a terrible owner. There are few bigger barriers to success, if any, than bad ownership. Just ask Washington fans that have watched Dan Snyder take one of the best, most successful organizations in the NFL and run it into the ground.
  • mark94
    3 years ago
    As a Vikings fan, I was following all the angles on Harbaugh, Ross, and Flores while our new, black GM tried to pick a head coach.
  • rickdugan
    3 years ago
    Flores is a whiny twat. "Wah wah wah I didn't get hired as a Head Coach so they're all racist!"

The Rooney Rule is an affirmative action joke. Of course a team is going to go through the motions even when it has already found the right fit - they have no choice.

As far as him sharing the "insider baseball" stuff that likely happens on a lot of teams, shame on him. He was obviously not someone to be trusted. Everyone knows that this stuff happens.

His record as a head coach is 24-25 and the team regressed from 2020 to 2021. That is why he was fired. If he was winning enough games I doubt that he'd be unemployed, regardless of his disagreements with ownership. The Dolphins clearly believe that he is under-utilizing the talent that they gave him. Right or wrong, we shall see.

Normally when an experienced NFL assistant gets his first head coaching gig and it doesn't work out, he rehabilitates as a Coordinator or Assistant on another team until he gets another shot. He doesn't whine and run his mouth like a little bitch. Given his success as a defensive assistant in New England, I'm sure that someone would have picked him up and paid him well, maybe even as a Defensive Coordinator. Instead he does this.

Fuck him. I hope that this whiny untrustworthy malcontent never works in the league again and ends up BAF.
  • mark94
    3 years ago
    Being a coordinator requires an entirely different skill set than a head coach. Same thing with college coaches going to the NFL. Different jobs and skills. It’s classic Peter Principle. The failure rate is pretty high.
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    The Belichik coaching "tree" is closer to a coaching tumbleweed.
  • rattdog
    3 years ago
    on the view they interviewed some ex nfl player about the flores situation and black coaches in the nfl. the guy brought up mike tomlin, saying that he had to be real excellent in order to last all these years. i'm thinking, "hey dipshit. what the fuck is wrong with you? all coaches have to be excellent in order to last in the league for as long as tomlin has."
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    @rattdog, the Steelers HC position is the best job security in the league. Tomlin, Cowherd, Noll, the Rooney family sticks with their guy.
  • misterorange
    3 years ago
    It ain't just in the NFL fellas. I know a (white) guy who is a EVP (big shot) for a major financial services company. When hiring for open positions there are regulations that dictate what percentage of candidates interviewed must be minority or "person of color." But that's not all. He is FORBIDDEN to interview ANY candidate one-on-one. He has to partner with a "person of color" and conduct a joint interview.
  • crosscheck
    3 years ago
    ^^ I was going to say the same thing. Nobody is more patient with coaches than the Steelers. I do have to give Tomlin max credit for somehow being able to put up with/coexist with Antonio Brown for as long as he did.
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    If you could meld Tomlin and Belichick into one person, their team would win every year.
  • motorhead
    3 years ago
    People always like to ask why a league that is 70% black doesn’t have more black coaches.

Arguably the 3 best coaches in the league Belichick, Tomlin, and Andy Reid never played in the NFL. Playing and coaching are entirely two different skill sets.

Reid and Tomlin were graduate assistants and worked their way up. Belichick took a $25 per week entry level assistant job.

The frank reality is very few ex NFL players are willing to make either sacrifice
  • Muddy
    3 years ago
    Racism is harder to prove than some people make it out to be. It's definitely a lot harder than when Michelle Obama makes it out to be when she got cut in line trying to get an ice cream cone. I'm still not convinced that's proof systemic white racism.
  • mark94
    3 years ago
    Most 10 year NFL veterans SHOULD have millions in the bank when they retire. Coaching in the NFL is an 80 hour a week job with no job security and frequent moves from team to team.

Why would some guy with a $10 Million nest egg want to start on a coaching career path ?

Plus, being 6’4” and running a 4.5 forty qualifies you to play. It’s not the same skill set needed to coach.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion