tuscl

OT: So Sad

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)
Monday, January 31, 2022 11:42 AM
Former Miss USA Jumps To Her Death In New York City Cheslie Kryst, the winner of the 2019 Miss USA pageant, died on Sunday in what officials have ruled a suicide. “NYPD responded to a 911 call at 7:13 AM to Cheslie’s midtown apartment building on 42nd Street,” TMZ reported. “Officers and paramedics responded, but she was pronounced dead on the scene.” The Associated Press later reported that police indicated that Kryst “jumped” from the apartment building. Kryst’s family released the following statement: In devastation and great sorrow, we share the passing of our beloved Cheslie. Her great light was one that inspired others around the world with her beauty and strength. She cared, she loved, she laughed and she shined. Cheslie embodied love and served others, whether through her work as an attorney fighting for social justice, as Miss USA and as a host on EXTRA. But most importantly, as a daughter, sister, friend, mentor and colleague — we know her impact will live on. Kryst was an attorney and correspondent for the entertainment news program “Extra.” The news program said that she was a “vital part” of their show and was “a beloved part of our Extra family and touched the entire staff.” “Our deepest condolences to all her family and friends,” the statement added. The New York Daily News reported that Kryst jumped from the 29th floor of the building and reportedly left a suicide note. Shortly before she jumped, Kryst wrote on Instagram: “May this day bring you rest and peace.” Variety reported: Born on Apr. 28, 1991 in Jackson, Mich., Kryst would go on to follow in her mother’s footsteps by competing in pageantry. Kryst attended the University of South Carolina where she graduated with a degree in marketing and human resource management. Subsequently, she enrolled at Wake Forest University School of Law, where she graduated with an MBA and Juris Doctor in 2017. While training in and practicing law in North Carolina and South Carolina, Kryst continued to compete in pageants with three consecutive runs in Miss North Carolina USA. In 2019, Kryst emerged victorious and went on to represent the state at the year’s Miss USA competition where she won the national title. Kryst represented the U.S. at the subsequent Miss Universe competition, where she finished in the top 10. [view link]

22 comments

• gammanu95
    2 years ago
    I saw that. Surprising, since by all accounts she had a good life, good job, etc. I wonder how they ruled out murder or accident?
  • Cashman1234
    2 years ago
    Very sad to read this story. Sometimes a beautiful face is hiding some very real emotional pain. May she Rest In Peace. Her family must be devastated.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Looks or money don't mean you're happy. A life can look great on paper but that doesn't make it fulfilling.
  • Rod8432
    2 years ago
    I never "get" these tragic stories. I don't know why she "jumped," but after some investigation, wouldn't be surprised it's due to a relationship gone sour. And yet, given time, relationship pain always fades and one wonders what was originally seen in a person, and why it ever mattered to that degree? Like w/Anthony Bourdain. We (society/media) hold the guy up like he possessed the golden key - he was loved, rich, good-looking, popular, and could call his shots. And yet, apparently strung out over a chick, he hangs himself. What a tragic, horrific, and avoidable waste. Basically, relationships suck in every way possible. Maybe we PLs (at least, the single ones) are the real "winners," due to finally ditching the relationship trauma/drama. Who needs it? Mongering is gratifying, immediately pleasurable, ego preserving, and imminently more "honest" than the faux social bargaining that goes on between dating/married people. Plus, it's w-a-y cheaper. Unless one is like the dude who dropped $2K in a NYC SC for air dances, SC/VIP spending is maybe 1/3rd of what dating outlays would be, with much better, more predictable, and more satisfying results. Okay, enough of that. Time to check my Match account... ;)
  • Cashman1234
    2 years ago
    This is only my uninformed opinion. Celebrity in this age is a very tenuous monicker. A few bad comments (from a decade in the past) on social media can expose a celebrity to a significant backlash, and it can derail a career that was rising. It’s sad, but there are too many folks who are unable to handle the pain of rejection, and when there is a media spotlight on them, the pain can be magnified. Relationship pain is temporary, and yet suicide is permanent. The pain one might feel now, should subside, especially when one has a supportive family. The pain of suicide can tear a family apart, and parents never really recover from burying a child.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Its possible to literally die without someone.
  • TheEckster
    2 years ago
    What the hell [view link]
  • Huntsman
    2 years ago
    Really sad. My heart goes out to her family and may she rest in peace.
  • Tetradon
    2 years ago
    @Rod, that's an interesting point but there are two sides to that. Mongering is great for the thrill of getting off with a woman you didn't know 5 minutes ago. Unless you're famous, in a sex club or similarly permissive situation, or have game like the gods, that won't happen. There's rarely drama, and there is an honesty about it. And you're right, in my ongoing hiatus from strip clubbing (and civvie dating my ass off), I'm not saving a ton of money. But there's an emotional intimacy you won't get from a sex worker, who will only pretend to be interested in your day as much as necessary to open your wallet. There are the shared experiences; I love taking dates out to nice restaurants, and laughing over some good cocktails and food. It costs as much as a 15-minute VIP and doesn't guarantee any sexual contact, but it's still a great time. I've met good friends and business contacts through civvie dating, even when it hasn't worked out. Yeah, it requires emotional risks, but the potential rewards are that much greater. The problem comes when people attach too much of their identity to their SO/relationship, then it fails. They stop knowing who they are, and numb the pain with drugs and alcohol. Or they decide life is too painful.
  • Papi_Chulo
    2 years ago
    The human-brain is very-complex and in many ways much of it still a mystery – who knows what she may have been going thru or had gone thru in her life and how it possibly affected her brain and decision-making – for w/e reason different people react to the same things in different ways even if it doesn’t lead to suicide – she must’ve been in such a state of mind where she likely could not think clearly or rationally to where she made such a terrible and decisive decision. I assume there may be a biological component to it beyond what science currently understands and not just bad decision making.
  • misterorange
    2 years ago
    At the risk of sounding insensitive (and perhaps I am) 7:13 AM on 42nd Street there were likely a lot of people on the street. I hope she took a good look down first or jumped into a vacant alleyway. Easily could have killed innocent people. If it was some nut-job throwing heavy objects off the roof, we'd all be calling for life in prison.
  • rattdog
    2 years ago
    "Shortly before she jumped, Kryst wrote on Instagram: “May this day bring you rest and peace.”" that person or group of people most likely breathed a sigh of relief.
  • Rod8432
    2 years ago
    Tetra - I hear ya. Now in my mid-60s, I was married briefly in my early-20s, long-term dated a half-dozen women over the years, plus short-term dated many dozens in-between. All the while, sprinkling in SCs/VIPs when I could. I'm only half-joking on my dating site reference. The draw of a soulmate/life companion/intimate lover, etc., springs eternal. But, I'm more-than-ever reaching the conclusion that it's an elusion - We're essentially/fundamentally alone. We'll never escape it, must embrace that fact, and allow for its full expression. It's to our benefit to not allow the fear of loneliness to cripple and compromise our values/decisions/standards, and especially to supersede desire for life itself. And Papi - I also get the brain as highly-complex, black-box in many ways. So, nobody can really say what her drivers were. Unfortunately, thinking "clearly or rationally" never seems to get much traction in these circumstances. My own dad had suicidal thoughts, despite every reason in the world to be among the happiest guys on earth. His fixation on childhood wounds/pain overwhelmed him, no matter how much I intervened with very observable and obvious examples of good fortune in his life. Thankfully, he died of a heart attack first, but I held my breath most every day wondering. Talk about an emotional toll... Sheesh! Anyway, rather heavy for an SC site... Thanks, all. Now, back to perusing Personal Ads... ;)
  • rickdugan
    2 years ago
    Successful people suffer from mental illnesses just as much as anybody and some maybe more so. While achieving a milestone might provide temporary respite, our brains quickly become accustomed to our new circumstances and revert back to their normal states. We have no idea what was bubbling beneath the surface. Maybe she had an anxiety disorder. Or suffered from severe depression. Or had PTSD from bad things happening while she grew up on the modeling circuit. Or maybe she learned that she can never have kids. Or maybe she was deeply insecure and felt like her life was a constant and stressful charade. Or some combination of these things. Or something else altogether...
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    It doesn't matter why she did it. There are always signs and cries for help. But people always act surprised when they finally go through with it. Suicide doesn't just happen. It's planned. I knew someone who was successful. A published author and photographer. He was kind of a mentor. I wasn16. He sounded off and I thought of telling his wife but thought she'd think I was weird. It still haunts me. A week after I told myself he sounds like he'll kill himself he did it. Made his wife breakfast had sex told her how much he loved her. When she went to work he sat on his favorite chair and shot himself in the head with a gun he bought at a pawn shop. I've thought of it. It's not about wanting to die ita about not wanting to hurt and seeing no way out. Being in a hospital made want to live more than anything. It's fucked up no matter how you look at it
  • JamesSD
    2 years ago
    Definitely could have been drugs or other mental health issues involved. Unfortunately some medications can increase the risk of suicide. As for Bourdain, anyone who read any of his books could tell he wasn't a happy person. Smart and successful, yes. But definitely a lot of unhappiness there.
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    Icey with another lie.
  • CJKent_band
    2 years ago
    “…Turning 30 feels like a cold reminder that I’m running out of time to matter in society’s eyes - and it’s infuriating.” ~ Cheslie Kryst Upon winning Miss USA, Kryst said her term was one filled with purpose and that she desired to “commit myself to passion, intent and authenticity.” She compared herself to other pageant girls, who are model-tall and thin with “don bouffant hair and have a killer walk.” Kryst, who competed in Division I Track and Field, had six-pack abs and natural curls. In her words, being “too Black” has prevented many black women from winning on the pageant stage. “My challenge of the status quo has certainly caught the attention of the trolls,” she said, adding that she’s had to delete comments on social due to negative comments about her appearance. “And that was just my looks. My opinions, on the other hand, were enough to make a traditional pageant fan clutch their pearls.” In the past, Kryst often spoke candidly on the legalization of marijuana, President Donald Trump’s immigration policies, and criminal justice reform. She was a public supporter of the Black Lives Matter movement and marched in protests. “I wasn’t searching to collect more awards or recognition during my reign. Rather, I fed the passion that made waking up each morning feel worthwhile: speaking out against injustice.” Kryst concluded the essay with now-haunting words about searching for “joy and purpose” as she entered her 30th year. [view link] REVEALING OP-ED Miss USA Cheslie Kryst penned heartbreaking essay about turning 30, trolls and working herself to death before ‘suicide’
  • NJBalla
    2 years ago
    The big problem is social media. We are inventing the wheel of society every day with money hungry corporations pulling the strings to rob each second of our day. 20 years ago a girl like that would have settled down with a middle manager, raised some kids, got a regular job. Now every girl with above average looks wants to be an influencer and "change the world". The ideology that everyone has the potential to change the world from thier computer is a joke.
  • yahtzee74
    2 years ago
    Jumping from a building has to be one of the more gruesome ways to commit suicide. Along with stepping in front of a train.
  • shadowcat
    2 years ago
    The celebrities are always getting the headlines for doing things that most of us would never consider but what I find more disturbing is the reports of the high numbers of our present and former military members committing suicide. I served for 4 years during the Viet Nam war and was away from home for 3 years of that and out of the country for 2 years of that and during my service time I never felt like I couldn't handle things. So I can't understand what makes so many people feel like that is the only way out. I have only known 1 person that killed himself and I didn't know him well. He was a Viet Nam vet married to my wife's friend. He gassed himself in his garage. His wife said he was just never the same after serving time in Viet Nam and getting his normal discharge. The government owes it to our service members to get a handle on what is the root cause of these tragedies and find solutions to them before things go bad.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Suicide in the military isn't up. It's just talked about more. I think social media helps. It gives people a place to talk and seek some help where before they wouldn't have had access to that.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion