tuscl

A proposition for a form of moderation

Here's what I came up with. Poke holes in it all you want.

-Users/Threads can be marked by VIP users. Flag it, it would have checkboxes similar to reviews on what the issue is. Spamming, Nuisance etc. Check box and/or leave comment. It would have to be a preponderance of users to do this though before action is taken. Perhaps around 40, 50 something like that.

-Once enough VIP users have made the complaint. It would go before a PL Jedi Council of long time, trusted members, respected by their peers (or at least as much as you can on here) who are clearly not trolls. I'll throw out some names, Papi, Shadow, Jackslash, 25, Subra, Shailynn, and others. They would then vote on if this issue is legitimate, same as a review and if passed the recommendation should be presented to founder.

-Action would come in form of a direct warning, 1 week, 2 week, 3 week, 1 month suspension of comment privileges. Not everything has to be LIFETIME BAN OR LIVE! If VIP can still use website as normal otherwise apart from commenting.

-It would then come before Founder and all he would have to do is sign off on it. Similar to the owners role in a sports team where the GM/Front office is really just making recommendations to the owner but the buck stops with the owner. All founder would have to do is set up and then he can look away and only have to deal with it in an easier way then even he has to deal with adding new listings.

-This method protects as best we can against tyrannical, petulant moderators with an agenda that ruin other websites and are an enemy of free speech. They would be worse than any troll here. Similar to how laws are passed in the USA, action would be through VIP Users like the House of Representatives, The Jedi Council would be like the Senate and Founder the President. No one tight ass could ruin it.

-Some would say this doesn't work fast enough, too much work for trolls to come back with more stuff. It's at least something. SOME kind of weapon against the trolls. Right now we have nothing but ignore. Ignore might be ok to a person who's been here, but I've brought this up many times, the person checking out this site for the first time doesn't know how to work the site but if they see millions of spam bullshit they are not going to stay. Degrades the quality. The community is a sitting duck to a dedicated, mentally ill troll.

It's slow, it's methodical. But this ensures if some type of action happens to you, you probably had it coming, it takes the whole god damn community to rally around it. It was likely egregious, repeated, and completely fucking annoying.

Anyway that's my proposal or something along these lines. Probably won't go anywhere but I think it could do the website a lot of good. And lastly to add on, idk if possible but then ignored members can't bump threads in your view. I don't want to lose classic TUSCL, a lot of awesome threads but that would work just fine.

15 comments

• Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    I'm on board with being able to flag posts, threads, and/or users for moderations. Those who can flag should be VIP members and perhaps also Verified members. Sending those posts to a TUSCL "Congress" is a bit problematic, because there are members you listed who have ongoing feuds with other members, and there are some (like subraman) whose participation here is decreasing. So, perhaps open that up to all VIP and/or Verified members rather than a select few. Not sure.

I agree that accounts can be locked down for periods of time rather than deleted outright as a sort of escalation of moderation.

One of the big problems with trolls is that they can launch new profiles almost instantly after being banned (i.e., cacaplop). What if all new accounts needed to either post a review, buy VIP, or wait 30 days before they earned the ability to start threads or comment on anything?
    That would limit the ability for trolls to turn-and-burn accounts for the sole purpose of trolling.

Regarding the antics of SJGHATESWOMEN, all TUSCL really needs is a bit of server-side software that sees a user flooding the forums (or anyplace else) and shuts down that user's ability to post.
  • RockAllNight
    3 years ago
    I like the thinking, not sure how it can work, but it’s worth a try.

I like the escalating suspensions and Ishmael’s 30 day probation for new accounts even though someone could take the effort to create a bunch of new accounts to be able to always have one that’s 30 days old.
  • jackslash
    3 years ago
    You always have the option of not reading posts you don't like.
  • rickthelion
    3 years ago
    ^
    jacktheape speaks words of wisdom.

Imagine the rick wisdom you will lose out on merely because some boring apes will downvote rick threads. The problem, you see, is that most normies (non-ricks for the uninitiated) cannot wrap their heads around how amazingly awesome we ricks are.

But we are magnanimous ricks. We wish to uplift those normies with potential to a level of awesomeness that is almost at the same level as us ricks.

As that philthedicklesslape fellow would say: you’re welcome.

Oops… philthedickless is a retard so that should be “your welcome”
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    ^ Go away, Cacaplop.

You admit to posting on SCL, and you call people the same names here as you do there. We're not going to let you destroy this board too. Fuck off.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    That will just promote malicious flagging
  • minnow
    3 years ago
    Swiss Cheese Time Now:

1) Who will have flagging privileges ? (VIP only, VIP and/or Verified, or only "dual qualified" - VIP and Verified Only )

2) Nomination of Master Council- Who will count the votes ? How many members on master council ? How many prospective council candidates could each member nominate ? Tough to pick just 1, I'd propose each member pick their personal top 3 nominees.

3) Master Council- How many Master Council votes needed to submit action to founder ? Unanimous, simple majority, or super majority (like 2/3 - 3/4 votes.) Tie breaker procedures ? (If unable to break tie, proposed suspension rejected.)

4) Would voting/flagging REALLY be "1 person, 1 vote ?" Think of the number of multiple accounts created by multiple members. Would there be a clear majority, or "muddied plurality" for nominated council members ?

5) How many members would be willing to serve on council ?

6) Would founder be willing to implement proposed system ?

For now... "Not enough details"...
  • yankeez4lif
    3 years ago
    I agree with Ishmael that there's too much testosterone here for this process to be effective. Some individuals post here are simply looking for attention and know how to push buttons and turn a simple issue into a full fledge event. Sooner than later, a concept with good intentions will turn into another unnecessary dick slinging contest.
  • Muddy
    3 years ago
    1. VIP. Say what you want it would be a pain in the ass to get a bunch of troll accounts VIP status. You would need like 50 votes. So it be hard to manufacture it. Then it goes before the council anyway.

2. Could be like 10,15,20 numbers. PM in their inbox sort of thing. Vote is held for a week. As far as dick measuring between these members, there would be enough diversity of thought and large enough to make one feud non issue.

3. As long as they have at least 3 votes to get 2-1 decision.

4. Yup as stated difficult to have 40 VIP accounts active in a month. That would be a lot of work.

5. I don’t think it would be too much work. Vote on it like a review. Punishment progressive.

6. Who knows. Founder has listened to a lot stuff on here though and the site as improved a lot. I just think this would be a productive tweak

• founder
    3 years ago
    I got something in the works. It's getting really close to being launched.

• Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    They don't want moderation they want censorship.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    The ignore feature is fair and works fine
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Other than not stopping trolls from seeing your posts
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Some boards have flood control. The software won't let you make more than one post every 30 seconds, or every 2 minutes. That would tend to interdict some of the disruptive trolling we have recently experienced, and historically experienced.

And some boards do not allow identical immediate cut and past posts.

And then some have an interval of restrictions on new registrations. So if someone just joins they might be limited to 5 posts per day until they have made like 10 posts. Then after that they are the same as everyone else.

And with this most recent troll post barrage, the registration is obviously a sock puppet for someone. It and its posts should just be deleted.

And I do go along with Jackslash and RicktheLion, the most important response is just not to read the posts you don't like. And if people don't like the Front Room, there are the VIP and Verified Rooms.

This board has flourished because it is very open. This remains its appeal. Reviews and Articles are vetted, but not Threads or Replies. I think it needs to stay this way.

SJG
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    I like how to two guys in this thread that everyone wants to ignore are complaining about the suggestion.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion