tuscl

What Are You Paying More For Now?

shailynn
They never tell you what you need to know.
Monday, October 25, 2021 1:38 PM
All this talk about inflation, what are you paying more for now? Of course everyone is paying more for gas and new/used cars. I’ve noticed my Chipotle visits and one other local restaurants bills have gone way up, both seem to be over 10%. Most other places seem to be holding pretty steady or minimal increases. I’ve noticed items at the grocery store have gone up, with the exception of beef from the butcher section, nothing has seemed too crazy.

37 comments

• twentyfive
    3 years ago
    Seems like everything in the supermarket is up 8-12% and I’m noticing a lot of stuff in the frozen food section is out of stock and back ordered
  • shadowcat
    3 years ago
    $17 including tip for fucking breakfast at IHOP. Pussy up 50% since precovid.
  • Daddillac
    3 years ago
    I took my kid to Five Guys yesterday... 43 bucks for two people. two burgers, large fries, two drinks and a milkshake
  • rickdugan
    3 years ago
    Everything is up. Gas is up of course. Beef is much more expensive now, as is pork. Produce is up. Basic staples have gone up. I used to be able to do a weekly grocery shopping trip for about $150, but now I can't walk into the place without dropping almost $200. And when I visit Costco for the monthly stock-up on certain staples I know I'm coming out at least $300 lighter. And as shadow pointed out, pussy is definitely up too. Like him I'm paying 50% more than before. Part of that has to do with a large influx of transplants competing for a limited supply, but it doesn't help that all of these girls are getting crunched themselves with rising costs.
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    Everyone was saying “raise the minimum wage!!!” “We need a pay increase!!!!” Ugh guess what, your cost of living just went up MORE than the pay increase you just received. None of us can win… Dollar here dollar there, I probably should be paying more attention.
  • gobstopper007
    3 years ago
    Month or so ago a 4x8 sheet of 3/4” plywood was $70. Guy at Lowes said the Trex decking was not that much more expensive than the highest quality treated lumber
  • Dolfan
    3 years ago
    Everything. I just bought a new Google Pixel, and it was cheaper than the last phone I bought, but that is honestly the only thing in recent history I can think of where prices have gone down. Gas, Groceries, household items. Electronics are generally up, aside from the phone exception. Anything that has a service component, like restaurants & strip clubs, are way up. I have an annual deal on lawn maintenance, but he's already raised prices on things I do one-off like tree trimming and shit & has told me he's not sure he wants to do an annual contract next year. Insurance is going up, home, auto, and health all up at least 15% over last year.
  • shadowcat
    3 years ago
    A couple of days ago I received an email from the SS Administration that my retirement benefit will increase by 5.9% due to cost of living. I hope that will cover the 30% increase in home heating costs expected this winter.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    "... We need a pay increase!!!!” Ugh guess what, your cost of living just went up MORE than the pay increase you just received ..." That's what happens when you have career-bureaucrats trying to run the economy
  • Muddy
    3 years ago
    Everything is up. Chicken and Rice at those halal food carts used to be $6 last year now it’s $10. Hero I paid for the other day was $14 instead of $10. I saw a Philly cheesesteak at some bar in Soho Las night going for $20. No. I’m done eating out. I’m gonna tu to buy in bulk and bear down and hopefully it can get better after this gridlock dies down
  • goldmongerATL
    3 years ago
    Just saw a meme from an early 20-something that basically said people are not going to accept jobs where they work to earn money but are still poor. I posted back asking then who is supposed to pay for their living expenses if they won't work. The answer was that's the government's job to give them money. Someone said until McDonald's would pay him $25.00 an hour he was not going back to work. I take it he is just being a burden in his parents' basement.
  • crosscheck
    3 years ago
    Many,many grocery items, bacon being one that has stuck out in particular. Price is way up and it's never on sale, at least not around where I live.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    Pre-Covid my Chik-Fil-A combo was around $9, now it's over $11. My typical Chipotle entry has gone up from $9.xx to $12.xx - I assume in part bc Chipotle announced a $15 hourly wage not long ago. Steak has particularly risen in the last few weeks - my churrasco steak from my go-to Cuban-place was about $22 pre-Covid, went up to $28 during Covid, then a week ago it had jumped to $34 - the tree-huggers are giddy about expensive beef-prices "because beef production is bad for the environment" - makes you wonder if beef increase$ in particular are on purpose
  • From978
    3 years ago
    The pattern I see appears to be (1) things that were really depressed a year ago, like fuel and transportation (2) things that are sold by ordinary people, like used cars and used houses (3) things for people who don't care how much they spend, like lobster (4) things we used to import, but decided to tax to put American companies First What seems not to have generally become more expensive is labor intensive stuff like personal services, so I doubt that we are presently seeing an effect of possible future wage increases.
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    I think the biggest increases have been meat and poultry probably because it’s packed far from supermarket warehouses, and if it’s fresh, delivery is problematic right now. That should work it’s way out once the trucking companies figure out how to overcome staf shortages I wonder if the delivery companies are going to try to push for heavier loads maybe more doubles and triples on the interstates
  • minnow
    3 years ago
    Seems like everything is going up, except interest rates on checking, savings, money market accounts, and short term CD's. Just to show how absurdly low those interest rates are, put this in your pipe and smoke it: 1) Time required to double your debt on 30 year mortgage if you failed to make payments would be ~25 years. 2) Time required to double your money on many interest checking accounts at the same bank would be anywhere from 1440 to 7200 years, depending on bank and account balance.
  • Daddillac
    3 years ago
    Fuel cost affect almost everything. How much oil and gas does the machinery use to harvest vegetables, then ship them. What about harvesting the food for the meat and poultry? The inflation is not all fuel based but one rock thrown in a pond causes ripples across the entire pond
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    Pretty much everything.
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    Might be a good time to reverse the tariffs that are also quite inflationary
  • goodyman
    3 years ago
    not to be that guy but people always complain about prices going up. Sure restaurants are increasing costs but I've not notices prices of normal staples, eggs, bread, steak at Trader Joes go up to be honest. I was in NYC two weeks ago and got lamb and rice from a Halal car for
  • Warrior15
    3 years ago
    What I want to know is where is the government getting their numbers ? They are saying inflation is at 4-5%. I'm seeing prices up 20-30% on a lot of things, some more than that. I've been able to pass on huge price increases in my business and I think I"m about to raise prices again.
  • ElDuderino_AZ
    3 years ago
    *No recollection of Jimmy Carter and the 70s - born on the bday of Wayne Gretzky and the late Eddie Van Halen, six days after the great Ronald Reagan was inaugurated the first time.
  • ElDuderino_AZ
    3 years ago
    But yes...paying more for everything. And can't wait for the typical 1.2% "raise" in February...
  • Muddy
    3 years ago
    Part of this is too because morons that think like this lady are increasingly becoming more popular [view link]
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    @ElDuderino I read that the Social Security was going to increase by 5.9% I haven't applied yet even though I'm eligible because I'm going to wait long enough to collect the maximum at age 70
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    25 have you done a cost benefit analysis to see how old you'd have to live to in order to equal out social security payments between full-retirement age and 70? Takes longer than you think and if you take into account earnings on the social security, its even longer. I will collect at full retirement age and keep working. I did the math and I have to live into my early 80s just to break even, without earning on the investment of social security money.
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    @skibum I have and that’s incorrect it won’t take but 7 years and if I estimate my longevity in between my parents actuarial tables shoe that I should live to well past 85 my dad lived to 92 my mom to 77 and my maximum benefit will be I believe 6% greater each year past my full retirement age of 66 which was two years ago and I’d be fine even without SS. In reality it’s just more money that my kids will blow through LOL
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Grocery prices increase every time I go to the store. And quality has gone down. Meat is expensive but the quality...stores are selling meat that looks old. Im becoming an involuntary vegetarian. Gas Restaurants. Some are obviously just price gouging. You cant justify a $7 taco or $20 sweet and sour chicken. Breakfast places are way too expensive. $22 for 2 eggs hashbrowns toast that's a lot smaller and 2 sausages....
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    Dang - Tesla-stock was up today almost 13% (in one day)
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    ^^^^ But if they priced it in loaves of bread, instead of in $ ? SJG
  • motorhead
    3 years ago
    I’ll admit it - I haven’t been in a club since COVID started. Anecdotal evidence suggests the prices of extras / VIPs have gone up - but what about the price of an ordinary 3-minute $20 lapper?
  • WavvyCain
    3 years ago
    Everything is crazy expensive now. Went to get bojangles yesterday and the crew was fighting because they were short staffed. Went to Kroger and no one was working the registers, only self checkout lanes were open. All this shit is a mess and won’t get better anytime soon.
  • Huntsman
    3 years ago
    Gas prices seem to be the most notable to me. But it seems everything is more expensive.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    They aren't really hiring people. The pandemic taught them to work a few employees to the bone while charging customers more. It's about maximizing profits. The end days of capitalism.
  • WavvyCain
    3 years ago
    Damn, gotta agree with icee
  • yahtzee74
    3 years ago
    papi "Pre-Covid my Chik-Fil-A combo was around $9, now it's over $11." The problem isn't pre-covid vs covid, it's pre-Biden vs Biden. I doubt Biden will brag about the price of a Thanksgiving meal this year like he did at Independence Day over saving 16 cents on hot dogs.
  • misterorange
    3 years ago
    +1 on yahtzee's comment
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion