tuscl

Founder should close and lock old threads

gammanu95
My casual drinking is your alcohol poisoning.
Some douchebag(s) has found the latest way to troll the entire board is to bump old discussions on bizarre subjects.

45 comments

• datinman
    3 years ago
    Pelepas should be banned. A sex toy company spamming the board rather than paying for ad space.

I would prefer old threads remain unlocked. Sometimes revisiting old threads is entertaining. I do think any thread that the last 5, 8, 10 posts are from the OP should be permanently closed. If only one person is posting it starts to become a journal, not a discussion.
  • Longball300
    3 years ago
    BAN THE INFIDEL!
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    Short answer: I agree.

A while back, old threads did get locked and it was great. The only person who complained continuously was (not surprisingly) SJG. And then at some point (...somehow...) all the old threads got unlocked again.

One problem is that the latest round of spam accounts bump old threads when posting links to essay-writing services and other stuff like that. I've been sending all of those to founder and he deletes them pretty quickly. Unfortunately, bumped threads stay bumped even after the spam account (and associated posts) get deleted.

The 'pelepas' account bumped several threads yesterday while posting links to its site, and I sent the link to founder, who deleted it. That person appears to have opened another account with same name but probably a different email address, and bumped about a half dozen threads today. I've sent that profile to founder. We'll see what happens.

But, in addition to the spammers, there's accounts like "lil_baller" whose shtick is bumping threads for giggles. Then there's SJG who bumps his own as well as other other old threads because he's a moron. Nicespice just bumped an older thread or two to needle desertscrub, because he's losing his mind over people bumping old threads (among the wide range of things that sets off scrub...). And wallanon bumped an old thread because gatorfan's last comment amused him.

Honestly, if it were only the once-in-a-while bump by nicespice or wallanon, etc., I wouldn't care. Sometimes it's actually interesting. But, once you put it all together with the bad actors on this site, it's incredibly annoying.

I'd love to see old threads get locked again.

• Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    Justin ... When old threads were getting locked, people would grab the link to the old thread and either start a new thread to talk about the content of that old thread, or just post the link as part of another active conversation.

So, folks were still able to get their dose of TUSCL nostalgia, but the door to spammers (and bumping threads as a form of trolling) was closed.
  • jackslash
    3 years ago
    You don't have to read those old threads.
  • DoctorPhil.
    3 years ago
    ^
    As always Mr. Slash makes a great point.

This space genius does, however, have one bone to pick with Mr. Slash. It is this: when you make a cogent point that will be helpful to the rest of the board you should end your post with a hearty “you’re welcome”

Or “your welcome” if you’re feeling saucy!

That how the poorly educated of TUSCL know that they are supposed to listen.

You’re welcome!
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    What is this nonsense?!?!? You don’t want to hear additional thoughts from SJG 5 years after he posted his original pointless thread?
  • wallanon
    3 years ago
    "And wallanon bumped an old thread because gatorfan's last comment amused him."

Actually I bumped the thread because I ran across it while looking for something else, and thought it was interesting to read after a decade or so. But then TheeOSU posted something I decided to look up and found a quote I thought was pretty funny.
  • wallanon
    3 years ago
    Hey founder, I saw your test post before I put my last comment up and then it showed up after mine.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    wallanon ... And I still don't have a problem with that. As I said, the occasional old-thread bump isn't a big deal. It can even be interesting.

But it's a bit much with a wide range of accounts doing it for different reasons, many having nothing to do with posting something of interest to others here.
  • wallanon
    3 years ago
    Wouldn't disagree with that. Spamming the boards with old threads just to dig them up isn't adding any discussion value.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Pre pandemic threads don't really hold any value now.
  • wallanon
    3 years ago
    That's ridiculous. 90% of the hobby is exactly the same.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    His intention is to be ridiculous.
  • datinman
    3 years ago
    If Founder opts to lock threads, I would hope it would be x number of days from the original post and not x number of days from last activity. Otherwise, certain posts will be bumped ad nauseam just to keep them from timing out.

Come to think of it, that's what is already occurring. Thankfully thread ignore solves this.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    To me it's preferable to have flexibility to see and comment on all threads including old ones - I rather keep that flexibility rather than letting a couple of trolls take it away.

With the "Hide" and "Ignore" functions one can easily remove unwanted threads from view.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    gammanu95, you have IGNORE and THREAD IGNORE. You don't have to see anything you do not wish to.

Well planned threads give us a way to have a broader range of discussion, because those threads are kept going.

Not everyone likes to be in the Underground Circle Jerk Room.

SJG
  • Muddy
    3 years ago
    Some old threads are interesting to look at and better than starting a new one imo. But maybe founder can implement a function where one user cannot have more than three threads active on the front page at one time. I mean I logged in the other day and half the front page was SJG threads just stop already.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Muddy, you have IGNORE, and you have Thread IGNORE. So you don't need to see anything you do not wish to.

Old threads allow us to have a broader topical range, because there is continuity.

But no, you do not have to participate, you can IGNORE yourself out of anything you want.

SJG
  • TFP
    3 years ago
    The irony of SJG talking about a circle jerk room. When most of his threads are the equivalent of him jerking himself off and cumming in his own mouth.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    desertscrub and TFP, you don't need to see anything you don't want to. You have IGNORE, and you have THREAD IGNORE.

Having lots of long running threads lets us have continuity for a broader topical range.

Maybe you guys can thing of some threads you would like to keep going.

SJG
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    After a few months, the discussion is stale and needs to be started anew.

Please lock after 90 days.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Tetradon, you have IGNORE and THREAD IGNORE. You don't need to see anything you don't want to see.

Having running old threads is how we can have continuity for more topical breadth.

SJG
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    ^ Well, someone's been triggered. I have most of your schizophrenic rants on ignore, but they still take up feed space.

Resurrecting a thread years later isn't continuity; it's never a smooth restart to the conversation. It's a WTF.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Depends on the type of conversation.

SJG
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    So... this is one of those topics (like autism) that threatens and triggers SJG to such a degree that he has to always have the last post on the thread.

The *occasional* bump of a necro-thread wouldn't bother me, but continuous bumping does. I agree with what was stated above. Give threads 90 days or so and then close them down.

Go ahead, SJG, we know you have to post now. Your crazy compels you.
  • SirLapdancealot
    3 years ago
    san_jose_creep rages against anything that prevents him from posting at will.

The thing is, TUSCL IS his entertainment in lieu of not being able to go to an actual srrip club. Where most PLs actually go to clubs and then use TUSCL to report on it and share information with others doing the same, san_jose_creep just has TUSCL. Add his autism on top of all this and you get him doing nothing but posting like a literal madman in the few hours that he has on free internet at the San Jose public library. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

So to him, taking his ability to post at will is no different than any other PL getting blackballed from clubbing. That's why he rages against any notion of things preventing him from posting. 🤷
  • joker44
    3 years ago
    Agree that old threads should be closed after, say, six months if no *recent* activity.

As CMI says:
    "Justin ... When old threads were getting locked, people would grab the link to the old thread and either start a new thread to talk about the content of that old thread, or just post the link as part of another active conversation. So, folks were still able to get their dose of TUSCL nostalgia, but the door to spammers (and bumping threads as a form of trolling) was closed."

https://tuscl.net/discussion.php?id=7689…

So the argument that closing threads prevents referring to them or reminiscing falls flat on its face. Closing threads prevents only trollish bumping not accessing and discussing them.

Let's not forget that SJG has had his own site on which to post:

*Lifeboat Forum, save link some place safe:
    testosteronelifeboat.freeforums.net *

From 38 or so 'members' its membership has experienced phenomenal growth -- 43 total....most of those are trolls trolling the SJG troll.
    95% of all the post there are by..............SJG. Literally talks to himself!
    He also has stored / backed up many of his TUSCL discussion threads [ GOATs ? ] on that site, so he's in no danger of losing content if TUSCL threads are closed.

TUSCL is meant to be a strip club review site and forum not a day-care center for psychological roadkill.

• TFP
    3 years ago
    @CMI you posted after the library closed so he'll have the last word at 12 noon PST today.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Having old threads to post on is what creates some degree of order. Otherwise people just say what they want on new threads.

SJG
  • datinman
    3 years ago
    For the last 5 hours it seemed like Founder locked and closed ALL threads.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Discussions were down.

Old threads are how we get some topical order.

Without them then people have to start new threads to say anything.

But there is IGNORE and THREAD IGNORE.

SJG
  • TheeOSU
    3 years ago
    ^
    Topical order about what? Numeric keypads, chryslers, serial killers and all of the other totally off topic garbage you post and only you bump and continue to comment in spamming and trolling the forum while talking to yourself? FUCK YOU!!
    You're deserving of an ignore from me and 99% of the other people here but in my case I'm still not ready to ignore you because I relish bitch slapping your creepy punk ass! FUCKING CREEP!
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    TheeOSU, is IGNORE broken? Is THREAD IGNORE broken?

Or is the Underground Circle Jerk Room just closed for Clorox mopping.

SJG
  • TheeOSU
    3 years ago
    Can you fucking read?
    You're deserving of an ignore from me and 99% of the other people here but in my case I'm still not ready to ignore you because I relish bitch slapping your creepy punk ass! FUCKING CREEP!

BTW, who's your EX wife that left you for a REAL man doing?
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    ^ Don't get so huffy on your Huffy, man.

Fact is, most of your shit isn't provocative, it's just BORING. It needs to sink to the bottom because no one cares. A common symptom of schizophrenia is delusions of unwarranted importance.

Everything on the internet is traceable. It's not your deadly thicket of not-very-nice things that keeps us out of your personal life, it's that internet tough guys and wannabe philosophers are a dime a dozen.

You are the reason old threads need to be locked, because the forum was better when the San Jose Public Library was closed.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    IGNORE broken?

THREAD IGNORE broken?

Or are you guys just locking out of the Underground Circle Jerk Room because it is being Clorox mopped.

SJG
  • TheeOSU
    3 years ago
    BTW, how's your EX wife that left you for a REAL man with a job and his OWN computer doing?
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    ^ Not funny or pertinent. Yaaaawn
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    Meant for our favorite schizophrenic
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    TheeOSU, is IGNORE broken, or are you just an imbecile troll by your own nature?

SJG
  • TheeOSU
    3 years ago
    It really must hurt that your EX wife left you for a REAL man with a job and his OWN computer!
    Are you going to revive any of your "woe is me my wife left my dumbass for a REAL man threads"?
    You don't like what I'm saying follow your own advice and ignore me CREEP!
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    SGJ ... This wouldn't even be a debate if you didn't continuously bump old threads or take over other people's threads and monopolize them for your own nutjob purposes. You're the only person who thinks that bumping old threads creates some sort of "order".

For everyone else, it's disruptive and annoying, and it's you wanting everything to be about you.

Also, you're creepy as fuck.
  • minnow
    3 years ago
    Looks like founder did something for several hours earlier today, including deleting posts (and maybe account) of some d-bag who recently joined and spammed board by bumping 12 old threads. All his/her posts consisted of was the same embedded link (probably infected) in each of the 12 posts.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    ^^^ There have been a few of those accounts popping up and bumping old threads with spam links. I report the profile to founder when I see them.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion