tuscl

Workers - The Mass Exodus

shailynn
They never tell you what you need to know.
Since the start of this year there had been a lot of mid to higher level employees, guys that have been with these companies 15+ years, abruptly leave with little or no reason given. These guys were at the “top of the food chain” in their companies but upper management. I just had 3 guys I dealt with for over a decade each all leave their positions just this week alone. I don’t know if any of them were “fired” or “resigned.” What’s really the difference, they no longer work there.

What the heck is going on? Most of these companies are desperate for employees, appear to be in decent financial shape, and all these guys are nowhere close to retirement age. I know one guy left for a better job and relocation to a better area, but the remaining 7-10 guys I have no idea what their plans are. All these were men in their mid 30s to mid 50s. The majority of them are in their early 40s.

It sucks, almost all of them were good guys. Why can’t the dicks I have to deal with get fired or resign?

I know the pandemic changed everything but this was a rare occurrence I had to deal with before COVID. More guys have left in 2021 than the last 5+ years combined, and we aren’t even halfway through 2021 yet.

19 comments

• nicespice
    3 years ago
    Have you peeked at their LinkedIn or whatever to see where they migrated to?
  • Dolfan
    3 years ago
    We've had a lot of high end turnover too, mainly due to shifting business conditions. From what I can see, it's an even mix of people we've encouraged to seek opportunities elsewhere and ones we failed to retain. The impact will cascade in the coming months as the newly hired seek to align their org in their image for the next fiscal year.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Many people lost jobs where they had seniority benefits a higher lay level. Companies are now trying to hire new workers at entry level rates instead of recalling employees. Its just a big fuck you to the American worker
  • mark94
    3 years ago
    Speaking as a former high level guy who quit at a relatively young age, maybe they were just tired of all the bullshit. CoVid gave us all a chance to consider new ways of living, including ones that involved more freedom and less spending money to signal affluence.
  • 8TM
    3 years ago
    I was just about ready to quit right when covid hit. It made sense to stay put a while longer while the shutdowns were in effect, but I think it's time to reevaluate.
  • whodey
    3 years ago
    With all the companies that are desperate to fill open positions it is the perfect time to look for a new job. I have been looking myself and have found the same or higher level jobs that have offered a decent pay bump over my current job. The only reason I haven't taken a new job is I can't find any place that will match some of the other benefits (good cheap insurance, work from home, 6 weeks vacation, employee stock plan, bonus structure, etc) from my current employer.

I am planning on using these other options as a negotiation point during my annual evaluation/raise at the end of this month.
  • Muddy
    3 years ago
    In particular law enforcement every body seems to be wanting to get the fuck out of there. Enough so where it's created a public safety crisis.
  • Uprightcitizen
    3 years ago
    From my experience the biggest factor for Jon change in educated talented workforce is the new "work from home" environment. If employers post-covid require employees to work part or full time back in the office they have a competitive disadvantage (all things being equal) to employers that have switched to a work from home model. Its a game changer.
  • Lone_Wolf
    3 years ago
    The large corporation I work for laid off far too many people in 2020.
    This left a toxic stressful work environment for those that remained.
    Top talent is jumping ship for greener pastures in 2021.
    This has become a big problem.
  • Mate27
    3 years ago
    Dude, the corporate shills are the ones that keep hanging around because they can’t go anywhere since nobody else will take them. The good guys take off because they won’t keep putting up with that corporate bullshit, and the job market has opened up so much that long time hike employees are saying enough, I’ll leave. I know from experience because I live in that world, and will be starting my own practice soon. Corporate America has monetized so much of everything that good talent has decided they can mi et use their own brand for their own benefit, and not just for the benefit of the corporation.

The gig economy will expand exponentially in the near future, because time saved and working remotely will be extremely beneficial post pandemic. Did you know boomers are transitioning at a higher rate than those jobs can be replaced? Trances and skillful professionals are cashing out and becoming their own bosses.
  • Lone_Wolf
    3 years ago
    Yep, us boomers are leaving in droves by being forced out by age bias or being helped out by a record high stock and housing market.

Should be a good time for young talent to name their price.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    "... Many people lost jobs where they had seniority benefits a higher lay level. Companies are now trying to hire new workers at entry level rates instead of recalling employees ..."

This is def part of it - salaries are often the biggest expenditure for most businesses - "changing economic conditions" are often a good cover to reduce costs via getting rid of a # of high-paid employees and back-fill-them with less-experienced less-costly employees and new-hires.
    3 years ago
    I’ve changed jobs twice in the last 2 years because companies want me to work from home on zoom instead of in person. Zoom all the time sucks big time.

Unless your doing rote repetitive work hiring new entry level employees doesn’t work and no company would trade 1 top performer for 5 newbies. Rookies take forever to train and just the time training takes is a big deterrent never mind the significant cost. Unless you’re bagging groceries or loading lumber job ads consistently ask for lots of experience.
  • Dave_Anderson
    3 years ago
    Has Saiylynn ever had actual sex? Fucking a carved pumpkin doesn't count.
  • gammanu95
    3 years ago
    Lots of people have inflated savings accounts after staying at home for a year. This does provide a financial cushion and/or capital for a career change / startup. I wish them the best of luck. A lot of people are going to find out that the grass is always greener on the other side.
  • Studme53
    3 years ago
    Where I work, everyone who can retire is retiring. Very few want to deal with all the Covid bullshit if they don’t have to.
  • Cashman1234
    3 years ago
    It can be an eerie feeling when you don’t see colleagues and begin to wonder what happened. I hope they are leaving due to their own choices.

This is a wild guess - based on the timing - but I wonder if folks are choosing to stay home? If they have been working from home for more than a year, and they are now being asked to return to the office - they may have decided to stay in a working from home arrangement. They may have decided to look for another position that will not require them to commute to an office each day.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    Employees looking to quit post-pandemic? Here’s how to keep them.

42% of current remote workers say if their employer doesn’t continue to offer remote work options long-term, they’ll look for a job at a company that does.

A majority of of people in an Accenture survey said a hybrid work model - where they’re able to work remotely between 25% and 75% of the time - is optimal.

63% of Gen Z workers are most interested in working in a hybrid setting.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/03/heres-ho…
  • rickdugan
    3 years ago
    COVID has changed how a lot of people think about office work. It was unavoidable really. Once you let people work from home for 16 months they question why they can't just keep doing it that way. For many the thoughts of returning to 90-120 minute commutes each way and long days under fluorescent lights are intolerable.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion