tuscl

Career move - What's right for this PL?

TimJo
Ohio
Sunday, April 25, 2021 10:10 PM
I have a career decision to make this week. What's the right move, from a club goer perspective? (That is, if we can just get through this whole pandemic, I'll be back at clubs.) Today, I do alright financially heading up a department for a small business of around 35 people. It's based in the city I live and I'll be back in the office sometime this summer, working from home currently. But I'm being recruited for a VP role with an out of town business that wants to let me work fully remote. Downside is it would be focused on only 1 industry, and not an exciting one. Upside is the pay. It's seriously a 65% increase. I'd make over $1k per month more than I do now. Follow the money and work from home, with occasional travel? Or stick with my job that gives me more variety and control over process? And gets me out of the house eventually. Decisions, decisions.

32 comments

• TimJo
    3 years ago
    Major typo. It pays over $1k per WEEK more than my current role.
  • Warrior15
    3 years ago
    You said " from a club goer perspective ". You are going to make more money. You will be able to club more. This is an expensive hobby.
  • TheeOSU
    3 years ago
    Only you can answer what's right for you but my philosophy has always been you should enjoy what you're doing or you shouldn't be doing it. Examples, I have turned down more lucrative job offers because I wouldn't have the freedom I have in my current job. I could also have made more money by striking out on my own, starting my own business but once again I'm content in my current job.
  • Warrior15
    3 years ago
    I'm not saying you will be happier with the new job. But you are going to be able to club more.
  • whodey
    3 years ago
    Like others have said, from a strict clubbing perspective follow the money to the new job. A higher salary without any additional expenses since you can work from your current home means a lot more disposable income to spend clubbing. Personally, I wouldn't make a career decision based on clubbing. A career is way too important to make decisions based on a hobby. Look at how it will effect your happiness and your life as a whole and choose accordingly.
  • TimJo
    3 years ago
    Oh, I won't decide just based on clubbing. I just figured it would make for fun conversation. It's seriously a tough call. Love my current company for a lot of reasons. But also feel a bit stunted in compensation growth. May need to take a risk to make a leap.
  • mark94
    3 years ago
    How stable is the new business ? Do they treat employees well ? What happened to the last person who had this job ? Will you have an employment contract ? Is your new boss a good person ? .......... So many questions. A big salary only works if it’s a successful business with a good work environment with a reasonable boss.
  • nicespice
    3 years ago
    Pay + being more remote I would imagine is more “club friendly” I knew of one or two individuals who would show up to the club (during the day during slower times), work on their work stuff on either their phone or tablet, then head off. If the work is that bad though, I guess stick with the other option?
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    Lots of employment scams making the rounds these days, you’d best investigate and do your due diligence very carefully
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    Your body your choice
  • booji boy
    3 years ago
    A few things come to mind... Sounds unusual and a little odd that a VP position would be 100% remote unless you're talking about a position in a bank... I've seen whole cube farms at bank HQs that were populated with people who had VP in their job title. Being remote will also affect your mobility in the new job because you won't be networking as much or as effectively. Being remote does have tax advantages as you will be able to make various deductions (e.g., home internet) and be able to justify them. Personally, I don't like to associate home with work. You can easily end up working more and at odd hours if you don't stay on top of it. I make it a point to completely power down my work laptop by 6pm and I made it clear to both my minions and overlords that if an email doesn't reach me before then it isn't important enough to deal with before the next business day. If you don't have that kind of structure, then you're going to risk burning out. On the plus side, being remote really does mean your location doesn't matter -- from time to time, you can use that extra money to be working from a resort or a long term rental on a pretty beach with a bucket of beers by your side... :-) HTH...
  • mike710
    3 years ago
    I would think that at the VP level, you would be able to justify a reason to travel if you really wanted to. I once took a promotion that I didn't like doing and voluntarily stepped back down. Within a month, I was offered something I would like better but still had to work though the step down until the other job took on full time responsibilities. One advised about happiness and that is where I would go. Money is cool but only if that puts you in a spot to be happy as well. That depends on what you are looking for right now. Don't think anyone can advise without knowing your specific situation.
  • latinalover69
    3 years ago
    Lifestyle is more important than 4k per month. I bet within a year you'll get an offer that pays more where you are at.
  • rickdugan
    3 years ago
    Before I started my business, the job that paid me the most was one of my worst experiences working in this field. I had it all - a fat paycheck with life changes bonuses, a "C" in front of my title, fully paid comprehensive benefits, a nice office, etc., etc. But I was miserable and barely lasted a year before I quit and finally hung my own shingle. So in your shoes I might pick Option C: Hang in there until you find something that pays better AND is at least as appealing as what you currently do. The last thing you want is to get stuck in something that ultimately makes you miserable, which would ultimately not be good for your career growth either.
  • Huntsman
    3 years ago
    ^. This.
  • Cashman1234
    3 years ago
    I would ask how you are handling your current situation - before offering any advice on what direction to take. You are currently working from home (due to the pandemic). How has it been going? Do you feel effective and satisfied in your current situation? If so, this new opportunity may be a good thing for you. If you are struggling, maybe you will benefit emotionally from being back in the office. Money is a major reason why we work. But, there is more to it than cash. Give that some thought. This huge shift to remote work has helped some folks - and it has been rough on others. If you are moving to a higher stress position, with a more impressive title, folks will expect you to make an immediate impact, and it can be a challenge if you don’t feel very effective when working at home.
  • BudWeedGuy
    3 years ago
    My job sucks. Made 20k this month tho so I can live like a king when I do go out. I live in a low cost area so 20k a month here is bananas. I work 55 hours per week. Still worth it to have financial security and the ability to spend in bunches without thinking about it. This hobby isn't cheap. Get your money.
  • wallanon
    3 years ago
    Do you like your job? Is your job going to get you where you want to be in life, if you're not already there? Do you care about job satisfaction? If you had a clearer view of what you're trying to get out of life the decision might be easier.
  • TimJo
    3 years ago
    You are all awesome. Thanks for the various ways of thinking about this. The reality is I like who I work with and I'm passionate about the work. But the last few years have opened my eyes that I don't necessarily believe the owners have the vision to grow the business. We are highly profitable but the leaders aren't rewarded financially. And I'm at a point now after nearly 8 years in this role that maybe it's time to try something new. Option C as mentioned above may be the best choice. But perhaps Option C is something I consider after a year or 2 giving this new opportunity a real shot. The learning opportunity would be substantial. I'm used to running the show for my specific specialty, and this would give me the chance to learn a few new methods. Also, just for everyone's amusement, these are not great strip club cities I'd be visiting. I'd have monthly meetings that take me to NYC, Chicago, and Philadelphia. So, there is that, haha.
  • rickdugan
    3 years ago
    ^ I agree about NYC and Chicago being horrible club cities, but not so much with Philly. I enjoy clubbing in Philly, though of course it's definitely more expensive than what you're used to in OH.
  • TimJo
    3 years ago
    Rick, what are you favorite clubs in Philly? I've only been there once for a day trip, on a tight schedule.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Take the money
  • mark94
    3 years ago
    A professor told our class, as part of broader career advice, that you should never be in one job for less than 2 years, or more than 7. Less than 2 years makes you look like a job jumper or malcontent. Over 7 looks like you are unpromoteable.
  • minnow
    3 years ago
    mark and rick +1. Tim, what sort of networking did you do to get the interview and job offer ? Who do you know at prospective company ? If nobody, do people in your current network have good reliable information on prospective company ? Any chance of you talking with VP you are replacing ? My initial inclination is to say if you're not on Forbes 400 list, kindly get your ass to work, and make that $$. QOL is nothing to brush off too easily, but being stagnant in no growth place has it's hazards too. Early in my career at the company I retired from, I jumped at a position with a 50% plus base pay increase. The QOL really sucked the 1st yr, but got better with time. Otoh, a bypassed oppurtunity might not come along for several years. Promotion was a definite resume enhancer should I have to seek another job. Lastly, what are your career goals ? How will new position help you achieve them ? How much will staying at present position help or hinder ?
  • mark94
    3 years ago
    Sometimes, an opportunity is really a career killer. I’ve known people who took a big job at a new company only to discover it was a dysfunctional organization where their job was the one blamed for anything that went wrong. There was zero chance of lasting more than a year or two and no way of getting a recommendation when you left. I’m just saying, do your due diligence before you take the leap. Most organizations have an online forum where you can learn what former employees have to say. Another trick I used was to find an excuse to go to the lobby of the organization, chat with the receptionist, and get a sense of the vibe from employees going in and out. Or, use a headhunter in that industry who knows all the gossip. Read stock analysts reports if the company is public. Talk with someone who works for the competition and ask what they know. Lots of ways to gather data.Or, do some digging on linked in to find out who has been in that position before, how long they lasted, and where they went.
  • wallanon
    3 years ago
    Mark94 gave a lot of good pointers, but man that sounds like a lot of work! Oh, to be a go-getter again lol
  • Cashman1234
    3 years ago
    If you are moving up career wise - and you are moving from a somewhat small company (with owners not moving it in the right direction). Are you moving to a larger company? If so, it can pose its own set of challenges and adjustments. Lots of folks enjoy the smaller environment. It can have less oversight, and fewer hoops to jump through. Larger companies take more time to learn the ropes, and to make meaningful change. Good luck in the path you choose. NYC clubs are useless for filth. Philly can be fun - but I have no experience down the turnpike.
  • TimJo
    3 years ago
    Cashman, yes, that is it exactly. I have the opportunity to move from a 40-person business to about 800. I've worked at multi-hundred person companies before and they aren't always the most fun. It can be tough to change traditional processes. But I also have 2 young children and this is an opportunity to bank like $5k more each month. You hate to make a move for money, but it may be just enough to make it worth the experiment.
  • Musterd21
    3 years ago
    Money is not everything!
  • gammanu95
    3 years ago
    My last salaried position was a junior executive with a major NASDAQ company, and the largest in its particular industry. It was a miserable, soulless, groupthink organization, where your worth ended with your quarterly EBITDA. It was, when combining salary, bonuses, and bennies, the highest income I ever had; but it was fucking miserable. I still suffer from health problems that began or occurred during my four years there. Money is not everything; and if you have a family with children, then strip-clubbing maybe shouldn't be much either. At the end of the day, you have to decide what's best.
  • TimJo
    3 years ago
    All great advice. Thanks everyone. I'm just having some fun with this. I don't get out for a ton of clubbing and I'll of course make a career choice bases on factors that matter most. Appreciate the conversation. Happy Tuesday everyone. (If I could now close the thread, I would haha.)
  • wallanon
    3 years ago
    The joy of TUSCL is threads don't close. They are immortal lol. Ten years from now this will pop up again and people will try and remember why somebody would flush all the people dying for a chance to brag out of the woodwork.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion