tuscl

Cooking with cannabis on the Food Network.

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
The Food Network has high hopes for cannabis content.

The network is launching "Chopped 420," a new twist on its cooking competition "Chopped," which will task contestants to cook with cannabis, Deadline reported.

The spin-off will reportedly feature four chefs competing for culinary supremacy — and a $10,000 grand prize — using a basket of ingredients to create a full course meal comprised of an appetizer, main course and dessert all incorporating cannabis.

Comedian Ron Funches will host alongside chef judges including Esther Choi, Luke Reyes and Sam Talbot, along with cannabis activist Laganja Estranja and comic Tacarra Williams, according to Deadline.

While cannabis is still illegal at the federal level, a number of states have increasingly passed legislation to decimalize it. New York state was the latest to finalize a deal to legalize recreational marijuana, and 36 states have also made medical marijuana legal while 16 states have decriminalized it.

The cannabis cooking trend has reached new nights in recent years, with shows like Vice's "Bong Appetite" and Netflix's "Cooking on High," among others, highlighting the ingredient. And many viewers — more than a million households in the U.S. in 2019 — are streaming them, according to data from PeerLogix, an advertising and technology company.

"Chopped 420," named for the "high" holiday, will begin streamong April 20 on discovery+.

8 comments

• SirLapdancealot
    4 years ago
    It's just a matter of time before marijuana cooking is commonplace. It will be no different than alcohol soon.

When my wife and I moved to Portland, before it was even legal in the state, we would go to parties and half the food and drink had to be labeled "green". Casseroles, cheesecake, butter, beer, etc was all "green" food. It was a whole community culture that we were not aware of. Gave new meaning to "pot"luck.
  • nicespice
    4 years ago
    Good lord, how much will they have to eat when judging this contest?

“Eh I know I said I was going to have your results but I’m going to sleep now. Just divide all this money equally okay”
  • gSteph
    4 years ago
    Having gotten higher than I like from consumables, I'd be wary of multiple dishes each loaded with 'how much THC ?'

"What a great and big meal. What are we doing up here by the ceiling?"

Prefer to stay with (legal) premeasured gummies or our home made options.
  • SirLapdancealot
    4 years ago
    Yeah @gSteph at said parties I have gotten too high and it's never from smoking weed. That I can do all night long. But eating edibles and smoking can be too much. It's best for me to commit to one or the other but I still prefer smoking it. I'm old school though.
  • ATACdawg
    4 years ago
    The recipe for Rastafarian Smoked Chicken:

You take de whole chicken

You take de ganja and stuff de cavity full o' da weed.

You tie de legs togedder again.

You light up de end

And you smmmmooooookkkkeeee it!🍗
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Cooking with weed; weed as medicine; lo fucking l. I smoked for the first time in 1969. Tried as hard as possible to smoke as much weed as I could from 1973 - 1989. Have had my own weed every single day since then. Weed for cooking? Waste of effort. Its just a fucked up way of doing edibles. Weed as medicine? Yup, just like alcohol. If you like to get high use it. If you don't, dont. Stop pretending its anything other than doing drugs, with your drug of choice. Beer - hard liquor; weed - hard drugs. Simple.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    I smoke every day.

Cooking with it is a waste of effort.

One time we put ranch on weed and ate it like a salad 🤣
  • goodyman
    3 years ago
    Cooking with weed is dumb. All you do it make it into an oil or butter. Not much else can be done to incorporate it
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion