tuscl

COVID Vaccine Update - You Get It Yet?

shailynn
They never tell you what you need to know.
Sunday, January 17, 2021 7:07 PM
I like how I read the other day, "at the rate they are going the state of Michigan will take over 2 years to get everyone vaccinated." In my state, they offered 1 round of vaccinations to people 80 and over, last week they offered it to people 70 and over. They only had 5 vaccination sites set up in the entire state. My parents and their friends are all over 70, they all were on the list and none of them got vaccinated or have a scheduled date yet. They're supposed to be contacted when they can get it. No ETA was given. My wife got her first shot the other day due to her work. No side effects other than a sore arm. Locally they say my age group will be offered the vaccine sometime in March. I find that hard to believe since January is almost over and they don't even have half the 70+ year olds even vaccinated yet.

20 comments

• twentyfive
    3 years ago
    Not sure if this is true or not but there is some reporting going on that my state Florida has had some foreign tourists getting vaccinated, For myself I’m eligible but I haven’t had any success getting an appointment as yet.
  • shadowcat
    3 years ago
    Here in GA I am waiting for my health care provider to tell me when and how to make an appointment. I am 79 with underlying conditions. My daughter got her first Pfizer shot today. She works at a cancer treatment center.
  • NAAAASTY
    3 years ago
    Everywhere's a cluster fuck. Just bc you meet criteria of 1A or 1B don't expect to get it anytime soon unless you work at or are a patient at a facility that has it. Eligibility means nothing. It only matters can you get it, not are you prioritized. Roll out eligibility is a PR sham. Don't believe it. NAAAASTY
  • Huntsman
    3 years ago
    I’m not in a high priority group and the roll out has been so slow I have no idea when I’ll get it.
  • rl27
    3 years ago
    It also depends on the state and which health care network you are in. My 87 year old mother got a phone call from her health provider the day that the 80 and older group with health conditions first became available and scheduled an appointment the same day.
  • FishHawk
    3 years ago
    I am in NW Florida. I am over 65. I got my first shot last Thursday. They gave me my appointment for my 2nd shot as we checked out.
  • Cashman1234
    3 years ago
    I haven’t gotten it - and I’m sure it will be a long time before a 56 year old with no underlying conditions will be eligible. Sadly, mental illness isn’t prioritized! I keep checking Pa to get my mother signed up. It’s a cluster fuck. The process of delivery - and distribution - seems to be a real mess. Maybe this will sound too capitalist - but I think you put it in the hands of retail pharmacies now - and let them push it out. The government is such a mess - it’s just not working.
  • rickthelion
    3 years ago
    I’ve got mine. Showed up and they told me they weren’t vaccinating cats yet. Can you believe that shit? So I just fixed my eyes on the ape with the needle and said “what did you say wildebeest?” and I got the frickin’ shot. ROAR!!!
  • lotsoffun201
    3 years ago
    I’ve had both of mine. I’m in healthcare so I was in the first tier. Unfortunately I have to agree that the rest of the population getting theirs has been a shitshow. Politicians and prisoners first of course and everyone else can fend for themselves, particularly our seniors...sad
  • rickdugan
    3 years ago
    Once again FL is a model for how to do this. FL pegged the qualification at 65 and older from the outset and then enlisted regional grocery chains with pharmacies (notably Publix), county health departments and even some community organizations to assist with vaccinations. Simple common sense is the reason why vaccine doses went into arms in FL while they were hitting trash cans in NY and CA. Now to 25's point, were there some snowbirds and tourists who gamed the system? Yes, but limiting it to legal residents just would not work in FL. FL's population is more fluid than that of most states, with part time residents and elderly folks in nursing homes who still have out of state IDs. FL also has a large immigrant population, some of whom are also elderly and being cared for by U.S. citizen children. Imagine the stories that would have been published if FL refused to vaccinate a material % of elderly people in its communities due to residency concerns. The hyperventilating media would be calling DeSantis an inhumane monster with no compassion, lol. So instead a small % of the vaccines went to non-residents, especially in Miami-Dade County.
  • TradWees
    3 years ago
    It's a mess in ny too. People that are eligible aren't able to find appointments. The worst is my neighboring state NJ is planning on letting smokers get it (no proof needed) so it completely wipes out all the tiers. At first it was healthcare and then over 75+, followed by 65+. None of that matters bc someone that's 25 can say they smoke and get it. Basically saying screw the old people. The amount of people eligible (100% of the population that wants it, is eligible now), how about that for a bottleneck?
  • jackslash
    3 years ago
    Not yet. I'm waiting for the email from the healthcare provider.
    3 years ago
    Once again other countries have good plans and planning and execution, look at Israel. But in America we are too great to learn from anyone else. So what were you get is a great shit show
  • rickdugan
    3 years ago
    623, unlike many countries, the U.S. has a decentralized power structure, courtesy of the Constitution. So it is ultimately up to each state to efficiently use the vaccines. Also, the U.S. is simply too large and unwieldy for the federal government to efficiently bypass existing state and local infrastructure to cover such as massive geographical area containing over 330 million people. Some states, like FL, made good use of them, as discussed above. Other states, like NY and CA, could fuck up a ham sandwich due to their sheer mind-numbing bureaucracy, nevermind common sense vaccine distribution.
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    ^ @Dugan you making statements doesn’t actually constitute a discussion as far as how well Florida has done, our beautiful state is solidly in the middle, not really a shining example for others to emulate, nor a dire worst case scenario as a out and out disaster zone, so have at it with your exuberant utterances and keep in mind we really don’t have a discussion, rather you and a few others postulating opinions and trying to make those opinions into facts
  • nicespice
    3 years ago
    I’ve heard Coloradans compare the rollout here vs Texas, and complaining that Texas is doing a better job with it. But Colorado has a higher % of population that already got it, it seems? To be fair, haven’t been paying much attention nor have I been wanting to really. I remember when Covid testing was really difficult at one point, and now it’s not too difficult to get. [view link] I know of one older customer who already received a vaccine a few weeks ago. Another waiting for an email. But it’s coming soon enough. My opinion is that in Colorado it’s not the best and not the worst. I already received my vaccine first dose because my employment put me in category 1A. As far as Israel goes, yes they did a great job. But also wanted to point out that the trade off is that it’s a smaller country that is way more militarized. Everybody gets drafted for compulsory service, with 2 years for women and 2 years 8 months for men. Which is probably inevitable when you share borders with enemies. So yes that type of society is going to get vaccine stuff done well but on the other hand, there is probably a quality of life hit living in a country like that.
  • rickdugan
    3 years ago
    @25: I know the numbers you are referring to. Right or wrong, some of the existing FL distribution sites have been automatically scheduling booster shots and conserving doses to be sure that there would be enough to administer the boosters. As the vaccine supply becomes more reliable I'm guessing that the numbers will quickly rise. 4.5% of FL's population has already received a first shot, well above the national average. Unlike places like NY and CA, which have shamefully thrown vaccine away due to a combination of byzantine qualification requirements and the overly tight controls over who can distribute, FL has neither problem. Indeed FL's distribution capacity has well outstripped the existing supply when factoring the automatic booster shot scheduling. Places that have already gone over 50% dose distribution were willing to take the risk that some boosters would get delayed due to supply problems. Many facilities in FL were not willing to take the risk, especially given that much of the first round went to nursing home residents. But this should all iron out as more supply comes online.
  • ilbbaicnl
    3 years ago
    From what I"ve been seeing in the news, best way is to do a crime and get sent to jail. [view link]
  • magicrat
    3 years ago
    The first priority group in my county were front line healthcare workers and 75 and over. We have 40,000 residents over 75. We get 500 doses a week. Do the math.
  • Heellover
    3 years ago
    AZ is a disaster. Probably will be "fixed" right around May or June when it is at least 100 degrees and then they'll shut down the drive through ones because no one is going to stand outside all day in the heat. The news seemed surprised that people weren't able to get an appt due to no availability and websites crashing. Gee who would of thought!!!???
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion