tuscl

OT: Cutting the Cable Cord

pistola
Keepin' it đź’Ż
Over the past few years I’ve gone from DirecTv ($150/mo) to Vue ($80/mo) which was awesome until it was canceled) to YTTV ($55/mo). With Covid, none of the few shows I like are anywhere near being released and now aim not even watching sports or ESPN because fuck Woke ESPN. I get my news from YouTube and Google News (so I can see both sides - Fox, HuffPost, Politico, Al Jazeera, etc.) I think over the last two weeks I watched a few things on Food Network and an episode or two of that 60 day Fiancé Show or whatever it is (yes I like Darcy’s juicy tits.). I will keep Netflix and Amazon Prime and I have Showtime thru Amazon Prime. Don’t have HBO because all their new shows are super-woke. Without sports I just don’t see the need.

Any of you cut out cable wholly since Covid?

19 comments

• ime
    •
    4 years ago
    No cable for years, I use SlingTV for $40 a month, have Amazon Prime and Netflix. Use a HD Antenna for regular TV though it usually only during football season. I usually get the NFL Ticket which has an app on my Roku but I probably won't this year since the games are gonna probably stink and will just cast the streams I can find to my TV through Chromecast.
  • GoVikings
    •
    4 years ago
    I don’t have cable

I rent movies at my local video store. Yes, video stores still exist and they are way cooler than Netflix đź‘Ť

And I know a website in which I can stream most of the major sports for free, including ANY NFL game and the quality is good and I get very little to no buffering

• ime
    •
    4 years ago
    Reddit usually has lists of streams for games. If not shoot me a message, i may need it this year.
  • Papi_Chulo
    •
    4 years ago
    I have YouTube-TV (YTTV), seemed a like a good value - when YTTV started a couple of years I think it started at $35/mo - it's increased w/ time and channels-added - it recently went up again from $55/mo to ~$65/mo after they added a few more channels including Comedy-Central - seems a bit hard to find a package that has the channels-you-want/best-price - IDK the inner-workings of these things but I assume often times they don't have a lot of choice w.r.t. increasing prices, there seems to be a lot of interest$ involved - I assume channels like ESPN charge the carriers an-arm-and-a-leg and it's a big reason for the increasing costs - paying these primadonnas like LeBron $40+million per year, that cost is gonna get past down to you and I w/ a multiple of interest$ taking their cut along the way.

I too can do w/o ESPN b/c of the woke BS - I'm currently not watching any sports b/c of it except Formula-1 and MotoGP (with Formula-1 being shown on ESPN) - I have about 70-channels on YTTV but only watch about 5 or so - my fave channel is "The Smithsonian Channel" since I don't have "The History Channel" - I also watch "National Geographic" but not as much as Smithsonian - and watch a few other things in 2 or 3 other channels - def would be nice if one could choose the channels one wants a-la-carte but the providers are like handtied w.r.t. that to a large extent since they probably have to tack-on a certain # of channels to get the best price possible and offset expensive vs cheap channels.

Sports and Entertainment are a HUGE biz so I can only imagine prices rising more although I'm currently turned-off by most of it and don't watch it like I used to.
  • Muddy
    •
    4 years ago
    Cable is gone and I do mlb.tv for baseball.
  • mark94
    •
    4 years ago
    SlingTV is the best value.
  • Hannathedog79
    •
    4 years ago
    No cable for about 5 years. Don't even have a TV anymore. Netflix and mlb.com are all I have. Following D-2 basketball in the winter (while it was happening) via the school websites. Been reading a lot more, which is a good thing. Generally, the books are far better than the movies.
  • IfIGottaBeDamned
    •
    4 years ago
    I haven’t subscribed to cable since I separated / divorced almost 10 years ago. Don’t really miss cable at all. I have antennas pointing that pull in the Baltimore and Washington DC stations to a DVR. And Amazon Prime & Netflix. I only care to watch four or five sporting events a year, so I’ll go to a sports bar or even SC on those occasions.
  • Member6532
    •
    4 years ago
    I had directtv, $180 a month for just TV, I have spectrum online tv ( pick 15 or so channels plus basic for $30ish and works on my phone as well, HBO for a little extra) netflix, hulu, Disney +, Amazon prime and internet for around $120 a month. Literally I had more TV during Covid than I needed. Spectrum as lets you get AMC, history and a bunch of other channels Apps. Cant imagen Cable or satellite will be a thing much longer.
  • shadowcat
    •
    4 years ago
    I quit cable TV about 10 years ago. I am a movie buff but really don't like the cheap made for TV movies or series type shows. I have Netflix, Hulu/Starz that I pay for and I have add Tubi TV which is free with limited commercials. It has lots of old but good movies. Tonight I watched "It's a mad mad mad mad world" that came out about 50+years ago. Talk about nostalgia!
  • Icey
    •
    4 years ago
    Regular tv is good enough. And any show can be found for free online
  • pistola
    •
    4 years ago
    Thx for the replies gents, going to cut out YTTV and see how it goes.
  • Warrior15
    •
    4 years ago
    Cable is the fastest and most reliable internet provider though. Until that changes, I"m not sure I"m going to cut the cord.
  • skibum609
    •
    4 years ago
    Wr have cable. Irs $55 a month. Probably 200 channels. Mlb and NFL in basic package. Three stooges in 10 minutes.
  • rickdugan
    •
    4 years ago
    I wish I could cut the chord, but we have a few favorite channels that we can't get in one place otherwise, including a couple that still have exclusive satellite/cable deals. Once my kids are older it will probably get easier.
  • TheElmerFudd
    •
    4 years ago
    i only watch sports, and i have youtubetv as that fits what i want best. i only get internet through the cable company.
  • RandomMember
    •
    4 years ago
    We have Netflix and Amazon Prime and it's tempting to cut the cord entirely. But Dish is dirt cheap and it's not cost effective to let them go...at least not yet.
  • shailynn
    •
    4 years ago
    Wife likes a few TV shows and I like sports when they're actually happening. Right now I pay $131 a month for cable and internet.

One cool thing, my cable provider recently added an app that you can run through a ROKU, or a newer model VIZIO, Samsung or LG TV. You can get all your channels through the app, no need to run cable or need for a cable box or cable card. Pretty cool, I wanted to put a TV in every room in the house but I was talked out of it. I don't know what's the point I didn't turn on the TV since March until the other day when the NBA playoffs started.
  • Jascoi
    •
    4 years ago
    The only time i had satellite was in northern arizona for the wife. after our split (and divorce) no satellite or cable. i get 40 channels on antenna tv at my arizona casa. my cabin in the southern california gets NO antenna tv and i won’t pay for cable or satellite. i’m just not at the cabin enough to justify the cost. besides that money is better spent on a sexy girl interaction.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion