tuscl

Can publicity ruin a club?

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
When I first visited my favorite club 6+ years ago it was not even in the top 40. Now it is rated #5. Recent reports from 2 of my fellow TUSCLers leads me to believe that it is going down hill. $35 and even $40 for a single dance with less than high mileage. I know that after 8:00 P.M. on a Fri. or Sat. the club sucks. I usually bail by that time. I know that I can still walk in there tomorrow and still get 2 for $20 high mileage dances but I am an exception. They love me. It is these bitches from out of town that have fucked it up. They are trying to cash in on the clubs success without contributing anything. The dumb asses that are willing to pay those prices are not helping. The most recent review gave it an 8. If I would have been given the same experience, I would have rated it lower. I am going to be in the club Aug 14-16 and I expect to get my usual high mileage dances from my favorites. I will be outta there by 8:00 P.M. unless one of my favorites deceides to stay over. If the tables turn on me I will let you know.

17 comments

• jablake
    17 years ago

Yes.

The old supply and demand rule. Also, I don't know what it is called, but in a poor area you can have good relations for years and not just strip clubs. Get a car fixed, get the house painted, get the lawn cared for, etc. all at extremely reasonable prices. A few wealthy people come in and demonstrate how poor everyone is and suddenly the $5 dance isn't appreciated as much as it was. And, it is completely understandable. In a $5 club this guy was handing out $20s like they were $1s. (He had a 2 inch plus stack of $20s that was too thick too fold.) Wonderful for the dancers, but then they start thinking if these guys have so much money why should I dance for these poor guys. And, worse than that is if the dancers believe you have tons of money and are just being selfish.

In my neighborhood I consider the wealthy to be a blight that push taxes thru the roof and demand all manner of expensive government services. Not long ago the new wealth that arrived wanted to incorporate so that the people could pay even more in taxes. At the neighborhood meeting the wealthy were yapping how low the taxes are. For the wealthy the taxes were definitely a joke even after they'd shot thru the roof. And, if they want to pay more taxes then I wish they'd go back to their high tax heavens. Some of these damn wealthy can only get a clue if the price is so high that even they have trouble paying it, other than that they're arrogant sons o bitches for the most part.

• jablake
    17 years ago

BTW, I don't consider customers who are willing to pay high dance prices "dumb asses." They could be very wealthy or place a low value on money or be of the school you get what you pay for (I do consider that dumb) or their experience may be significantly enhanced by being a big shot or etc.

• chandler
    17 years ago
    What was the publicity that caused this?
  • FONDL
    17 years ago
    I think a lot of clubs go through cycles, especially the smaller neighborhood places. They'll get a group of really fun girls who create a friendly and welcoming atmosphere, which in turn attracts more customers, management hires more girls (of lower quality) to meet demand, the friendly atmosphere declines as competition increasees, girls get pissed because earnings are declining, management responds by not enforcing rules and/or raising prices, the fun girls quit and go elsewhere. That's exactly what happened with the club that used to be my favorite and where I met my ATF. When she and the other fun girls left, so did I. The place really went downhill after that. I recently heard that they now have a new group of fun girls. But the higher prices remain.
  • shadowcat
    17 years ago
    chandler. I think that from the customers standpoint it is word of mouth. there is a large army base close by and the main campus of USC is here. As for the strippers, I think that TUSCL has been an influence on them coming from hundreds of miles away to work here. These out of town ROBs are fucking it up for the customers and the veteran dancers. The customers are paying way more than they have to for good dances. The high priced/low mileage dancers are driving customers away. This hurts the long time Vets. They quit working here in search of greener pastures. Of course they don't find them. Whenever I meet a dancer new to me, I make a point of letting them know that I am a regular here and that all of my favorites will do 2 for $20 anytime with me. I have a 95% success rate. I am not a cheap bastard. I spend more money here than most guys. I just get more for it. I just hate it when these ROBs come into town and drive my favorites away. My favorites will back me up on this.
  • harrydave
    17 years ago
    I think supply and demand, and cycles (the usual ups and downs) cover most of the long term change. But the bigger issue in my mind (goes to the supply side) is the difficulty of opening a new club. In so many jursidictions, existing clubs are "grandfathered", and new clubs are almost (but not quite...a nod and a wink to te Constitution) impossible to locate and license. So, fixed or limited supply, followed by upswing in demand, equals higher prices. I say, we need more strip clubs!
  • chandler
    17 years ago
    Too much popularity from word-of-mouth can ruin a club for the regular customers, no doubt. Like Yogi Berra said, nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded. When you say publicity, I think advertising or something in the news that gives the club wide exposure, not word-of-mouth or TUSCL. Regardless, what ruins a club for customers can also make it more lucrative for the owner and the dancers, so you can't really blame them. They're in business to make money, not to make the TUSCL Top 10.
  • TimboAtl
    17 years ago
    From my visit a couple weeks ago, the inflated dance prices only happened when the night shift rolled in. The day shift dances are still in the $20 - $25 range. I don't get too many 2 for $20's like Shadowcat, guess I'm still a few years from the Senior Citizen discount. Another thing - the highest price dances are always the worst dances!
  • casualguy
    17 years ago
    I don't know if the ranking on this site has anything to do with it or not. Perhaps it is lack of competition among dancers and the number of customers willing to pay high prices for lap dances. I heard last weekend in Greenville, one dancer (almost sounded like a complaint but wasn't sure), the PP club in Memphis along with 2 other clubs there I think she said closed down and all the dancers seemed to have come over here (where I was at). There did seem to be a lot of dancers. I actually saw 6 dancers dancing on 4 stages at 4AM. For a while the only people tipping them were a couple of female customers. The crowd usually has thinned out by 4 AM on the weekend in Greenville.
  • casualguy
    17 years ago
    I'm not sure what information dancers look at to determine where they will dance at if they travel around the country. Might be a good question to ask. I wonder what percentage of dancers have even heard of this web site.

It's true that several years ago you could visit Platinum Plus in Columbia on a weekend night, find a seat, and easily get a two for $20 from almost any dancer without a problem. I know because I used to visit the club about every weekend back then apparently before shadowcat knew about it. I didn't find this web site until years later. The reason I stopped visiting wasn't because of anything the club did, but a nude club that used to be open I became disappointed with. I still like visiting nude clubs and club hopping. I like watching the dancers for a while, then getting dances later.
  • casualguy
    17 years ago
    If the PP manager ever reads this, I would start visiting the clubs in Columbia if PP opened a new sister nude club. They would need plenty of seating because I don't like visiting a club that has no seats available on the weekend. The current PP club in Columbia seems small compared to the one in Greenville as far as the number of seats available.
  • ThisOldManPlayed1
    17 years ago
    The Greenville PP is much bigger than the Columbia PP. However, the dancers at Greenvile (as beautiful as they are) get the big BUCKS for their looks and classy club. However, the Columbia PP appears to have a more 'laid back' atmosphere. Since I've been to both, I prefer the Columbia PP, just because of that reason, and the dances were cheaper and more high mileage.

But, as far as this topic, YES, I do believe publicity can ruin a club, but on the other hand, I also believe publicity CAN help a club.

I agree that 'higher spending customers' (not necessarily assholes) can ruin dance prices for the rest of us. But, like the CAT says, if you stay away from the Columbia PP during the weekends and evenings, you'll end up getting better bargain dance prices.

When I visit there, I'm usually entering as the doors open at 11:00AM or 11:30AM. You might not get a lot of 2fer$20 offers like the CAT, but 2fer$30 is still a bargain if you pick the right dancer! You have to remember that the CAT has patronized the Columbia PP for years, brings presents and candy, flowers, etc., which helps subsidize his 2fer$20 dances.

As a regular at my favorite club (before their doors were SLAMMED shut) I used to get bargain dances from my favorite dancers and still get the high mileage that I was used to and expected from them.

• pop
    17 years ago
    It wouldn't make sense for PP to open another place in town. They already have two and they can't go nude because of zoning. Too much publicity can be a pain and can be a political problem. They always have had girls traveling to work there but in the last year there are many more dancers asking for 30 and up.
  • casualguy
    17 years ago
    Lots of times, I don't even know where the publicity is coming from. I don't necessarily think it's all coming from this site. I remember for a few weeks I kept running into dancers from Eastern NC in a South Carolina Greenville club. One dancer claimed she could make a lot more money here than back where she lives. I see lots of dancers I'm not familiar with all the time.
  • FONDL
    17 years ago
    Whether you're talking customers or dancers, I think most of the publicity is word of mouth. I don't think either this site or any of the others out there have much impact on what happens at a particular club. We're the exception not the rule.
  • mrmidnite
    17 years ago
    The publicity is definitely bringing the robs in and hurting the club, not to mention the pub is causing others to take a closer look. I hate seeing posters exaggerate in their posts as it's causing this undesired attention and ultimately hurting the club. Why not be truthful, but a gentleman at the same time?
  • shadowcat
    17 years ago
    mrmidnite: Do you think I am part of the problem? Be honest. I can take it. Watch for my next review.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion