tuscl

Iguanas

twentyfive
Living well and enjoying my retirement
Friday, August 7, 2020 11:13 AM
My neighborhood is being overrun by these large iguanas the are destructive in the gardens and disgusting leaving large piles of shit all over my deck if I trap one another takes its place I have tried moth balls around my perimeter I have bought a spray at Home Depot that is claimed to end their presence, have any of you guys heard about any solution to rid my property of these disgusting lizard pigeons ?

61 comments

• datinman
    4 years ago
    Pellet gun!
  • Warrior15
    4 years ago
    I think a shot gun would take care of the problem. Might blow holes in your fence though. Actually that sound like fun. :-)
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    There’s too many homes here in my subdivision to use a shotgun and I’ve tried to get them with an air soft they just laugh at the pellets
  • shadowcat
    4 years ago
    get an alligator? or a Python?
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    We have alligators in the lake behind my yard but these critters are too fuckn fast for them and I hope we never get those pythons here there’s a lot of dogs in the neighborhood
  • winex
    4 years ago
    " if I trap one another takes its place"

Are you telling us that iguanas are fungible?
  • Warrior15
    4 years ago
    So are they territorial ? Maybe you go buy a really BIG fake one and put in your yard. That will scare the others off.
  • bsa694fun
    4 years ago
    crossbow pistol will do the job
  • whodey
    4 years ago
    Never had to deal with Iguanas specifically but I use this stuff to keep snakes and tree frogs away from my pool deck.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bonide-875-Sn…

You could also try a motion activated sprinkler, they seem to keep most small animals away.

https://www.havahart.com/critter-ridder-…
  • datinman
    4 years ago
    https://usa.stoegerairguns.com/xm1-suppr…
    .22 Cal at 1000 fps should do the job with a head shot. A friend had one. Impressive for what it is. He used it for armadillos and opossums.
  • Eve
    4 years ago
    "Lizard pigeons"

I'm sorry I laughed.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    #IguanaLivesMatter

You and your human-privilege
  • CJKent (Banned)
    4 years ago
    @twentyfive

Iguanas are eaten by a variety of natural predators; hawks, owls, snakes and humans.

No iguana is safe from a pack of dogs, so get yourself a pack of guard dogs.

Maybe you should do the ecological right thing and get yourself a couple of falconer ladies with an owl and a hawk and start a Iguana meat restaurant exporting business.
  • dirtyburt
    4 years ago
    I ate Iguana down in the Caribbean.. Basically Nothing but skin and bones.......
    if I lived in an Inner city I would use a suppressed .22 cal. Pistol or rifle firing from above to prevent collateral damage. If not suppressed, only shoot once. The civilians won’t know which direction it came from. But if suppressed, it needs to be registered or your doing 10 years playing house with Bubba.
  • shadowcat
    4 years ago
    Years ago we checked into a hotel in Puerto Vallarta, MX and noticed a small iguana (about 12") on the ceiling of our room. We called the front desk expecting them to rush over and get rid of it but instead he told us not to worry. That they weren't dangerous and would leave on it's own. It eventually did.

Almost hit a 3 foot one while driving on a Mexican road.
  • ATACdawg
    4 years ago
    Iguana blended whole in tequila is supposed to be an effective aphrodisiac. If life gives you lemons.....

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

😜😄
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    😂
  • Cashman1234
    4 years ago
    If they are territorial and shit marks their territory - you need to fight fire with fire!

Squatting on you deck might not please your neighbors - but it may get those lizard pigeons off your property!
  • sinclair
    4 years ago
    They are not a native species, so have fun killing them. Just be humane about it. Supposedly windchimes and other noisemakers deter them along with shiny objects.
  • whodey
    4 years ago
    "noisemakers deter them along with shiny objects."

So they are the opposite of most strippers and hate loud music and shiny objects? Just throw a stripper party in your back yard and the lizard pigeons will run away faster than a stripper when you tell her your broke.
  • nicespice
    4 years ago
    Haha, I feel like if my dog saw iguanas, he would be in predator heaven. He has a lot of fun in my area with bunnies.
  • ime
    4 years ago
    They say moth balls keeps snakes away throw a few them around the yard might work on iguanas as well.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    @nicespice unless your dog is a Pit Bull or a fairly large dog I would advise you to keep him/her away from these lizards some are over 3 feet and most are over 2 feet long and they can inflict a nasty bite on another animal and they are fast as hell.
    @ime if you read my original post I've tried moth balls these lizards laugh at them as well as the pellets from my air soft,
    @justintitolook I'm a bit afraid to try a .22 on my deck, it's travertine marble and a ricochet could end up across the lake and into a neighbor's home.
    @whodey I'm considering those motion activated sprinklers that posted that might be a workable solution.
  • MackTruck
    4 years ago
    I am sorry 25, I had to dump a load in Miami and I used my very powerful iguana shitting machines to help with the job. Some of them got away and were fucking like crazy. Oops 😡
  • herbtcat
    4 years ago
    Have you considered talking to them nicely and offering a hot beverage?

Iguanas need love, just like the rest of us... :p
  • ATACdawg
    4 years ago
    "They say moth balls keeps snakes away throw a few them around the yard might work on iguanas as well.”

Yeah, but those moth balls are so tiny, and the moths hate giving them up.....
  • Icey
    4 years ago
    25 has lot lizards lulz

Get some iguana repellant https://www.amazon.com/BuyBlocker-Natura…

I just read they hate garlic. Cook some Cuban food for them
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    You sure act like an Iguana Icee, you shit all over every post, maybe I can get rid of Iguanas with the ignore feature
  • Icey
    4 years ago
    I posted a link to iguana repellant and they hate garlic. Google it. But youre welcome for my help
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    ^ If you'd have bothered to read the post you might have learned that those things were tried but it's okay Icee you shit the bed regularly.
    Pro tip for you stop liking your own posts it's stupid and you said a while back that the thumbs down was juvenile, we can now see who liked and who disliked, so stop the act, like you're better than everyone else, you aren't.
  • gammanu95
    4 years ago
    Typical senile old man discussion "Theae darned iguanas won't stay off my yard!" Have you tried yelling at them with 1950s insults and making hollow threats? That's all you're good at anyway. Don't worry, you're still good for nothing. Have a sippy cup and check your diaper, boomer.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    ^Twat
  • Longball300
    4 years ago
    Move North.
  • Dolfan
    4 years ago
    I didn't see this post back in August, but we had pretty serious problem with them in my neighborhood too. I hired a guy who trapped/removed them but it didn't do shit. My neighbor and I agreed to let each other shoot them on each others property, as word spread a number of others joined in. That helped somewhat, but wasn't super practical as I'm not a fan of the dead iguana disposal part of the job. A couple of us hired a guy who comes out and kills them. This year the HOA is going to add it to the pest control contract, so hopefully that'll help too. They'll never completely go away, since there are a lot of breeding areas around here and in the surrounding communities.

They're nasty fuckers.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    Yes they are and I tried to get my neighbors and the HOA to go along but they are to cheap and hiring the removal guy will be useless unless everyone goes along we are a community of about 60 homes around a lake so all I can do is shoot at them with the air soft pellet gun and hope the alligator in my lake grabs them
  • lick-that
    4 years ago
    I take it you're in S Florida? I've seen them all over Broward, once established you'll never get rid of them. I'm in Central Fl and I love the seasonal weather changes we get, even if mild, helps to keep these species from moving up, so far anyway. Hope it stays that way.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    I’m in south palm beach county just north of Broward but they have been overwhelming native species and traveling north my friends in St. John county and in lake county are starting to have problems with the iguanas
  • lick-that
    4 years ago
    In Lake? I haven't heard of that, that's close. My bud in Palm enclosed his pool deck recently, I never understood why anyone in S Fl wouldn't, mine is just for lizards and snakes. Landscapers cut the mesh and I had it re-done bc I had to fish a few Black racers out. I've stopped killing them bc they kill the poisonous ones. Iguanas are the worst bc they're climbers, lizards around here stay on the ground.
  • shadowcat
    4 years ago
    Eat the damn things. Here is how:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0886du3…
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    The little lizards don’t do a lot of damage but those large reptiles chew through landscapes and are just plain filthy disgusting,
    Speaking of pool enclosures we lost the screen enclosure a number of hurricanes back I believe it was Willa and had some job getting the insurance company to reimburse us and lately the cost of insurance has gotten obscene here I remodeled the entire patio and pool and fenced it in which is actually much more attractive than the screen enclosure and untill this latest invasion was fine, what I’m thinking of doing is using low voltage electric wiring like is used to keep nuisance birds off roofs around the perimeter to keep the iguanas off my pool deck and patio
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    @shadowcat they are disgusting but if you like I’ll have them shipped up to Georgia and you can enjoy them
    I know they taste like chicken lol
  • shadowcat
    4 years ago
    I have a t-shirt that says "Boogers taste like chicken". Maybe I could modify the shirt.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    👍👍
  • lick-that
    4 years ago
    I hear U, but electric fencing is always a liability issue. Fl ins is ridiculous so many companies have left the market. I don't know what's a natural predator but that might be the way to go to keep them away. You sure can't shoot them at a rate greater than they can multiply for sure.
  • Icey
    4 years ago
    Try a different brand of repellant. But tbh the whole community has to do it. Nothing will keep them from coming off your neighbors place. The HOA seems to be inept
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    The fencing is low voltage powered by a d cell battery I don’t believe there’s any liability issues involved it’s not intended to harm it’s intended to chase away I believe the voltage is 4 wats or volts about the voltage that would produced by an alarm with a dry cell back up
    Shooting them with a pellet gun just makes them run off and jump in the lake I don’t think it even breaks the skin as I have not seen any blood after hitting them with a pellet and I usually find the pellet on the floor where I shot them
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    The fencing is low voltage powered by a d cell battery I don’t believe there’s any liability issues involved it’s not intended to harm it’s intended to chase away I believe the voltage is 4 wats or volts about the voltage that would produced by an alarm with a dry cell back up
    Shooting them with a pellet gun just makes them run off and jump in the lake I don’t think it even breaks the skin as I have not seen any blood after hitting them with a pellet and I usually find the pellet on the floor where I shot them
  • misterorange
    4 years ago
    Years ago we were infested with groundhogs and they had a tunnel between my yard and my neighbor's. My neighbor shot a few of them in my yard out of his attic window with a .22 rifle. Aside from that being totally nuts because I had 2 kids and a dog at the time, and we lived in a highly populated town in NJ where it's fucking illegal, they crawled away and died in a crevice between the ground and my house. Too small to crawl in there to get them out, and they stunk up the place for weeks.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    ^ I remember when I lived on Long Island we got rid of groundhogs by using a hose to flood their tunnels
  • Dolfan
    4 years ago
    Shooting them with airsoft doesn't do anything, but if you hit them in the head with an actual pellet gun that can do 800fps or better, they die immediately. Be careful though, you don't want to hit them in the leg or something. Not only will they not die, but chances are decent someone sees and calls the cops and you can be sited for animal cruelty.

I'd be curious about the battery powered electric fence option. I've seen them take zaps from the horse fences and about half the time they scurry off but the other half they scurry through. Those obviously have much higher voltage but also much larger openings.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    ^ The fence that you are talking about is different, what I am talking about is a product originally designed to get pigeons to stop roosting in specific locations it is an irritant designed to urge them to go elsewhere rather than shock them and harm them

https://birdbarrier.com/bird-shock-flex-…

Obviously I need to make this into a track with a second strand at about 3 inches that should turn them around rather than go over it
    I'll keep you informed if it works
  • rickthelion
    4 years ago
    Have you tried reasoning with them? You know, set up a confab where you grill up some delicious ahi steaks and offer some quality bourbon in exchange for them only shitting in your neighbor’s yard?

I was chatting with ricktheiguana this one time and he said this guy offered him all sorts of goodies if ol’ rick would stop the other neighborhood iguanas from shitting in the guy’s years. My bud rick was totally reasonable about getting all of the neighborhood iguanas to treat that guy with kit gloves. No more yard shit!

Of course, rick did fuck the guys wife. But what would you expect? She was a hot 21 year old trophy wife and rick was... well, he was a frickin’ rick! ROAR!!!
  • lick-that
    4 years ago
    Yeah shooting them isn't a solution. The fence might help in a specific location, but if they start climbing on the roof they'll get everywhere. Those repellants don't work on anything, from mosquitos to snakes. Best option might be animal control finding the breeding spots to reduce the population. But good luck
  • Icey
    4 years ago
    You need to get people together and get your HOA to do something. You can't fight them on a house by house basis . it needs a community effort. Or you all need to get money together for an exterminator.

Or trap them and sell them as pets. Make tacos out of them and sell them. Or something.

But i got your back we can still be niggaz
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    ^That made me LOL but it was cringey as hell
  • rickthelion
    4 years ago
    Make tacos out of the iguanas? Definitely cringe material. I think ricktheiguana is planning to leave a present in your hair!
  • rickthelion
    4 years ago
    To get back on topic, I really think 25-ape has not fully considered the ramifications of my “make friends with the iguana folk” idea. Now, as king of the beasts I just tell other animals to jump and they say “how high?” but 25 is a hairless ape and there ain’t no creature that’ll jump for a damn dirty ape. Well, maybe for my bud dugan and possibly for rickthechinaman, but they’re ricks so that’s a special case.

Anyhoo... 25 plus the iguanas could be an unstoppable source of humor. Check this: you ring your neighbor’s doorbell and walk away. Iguana 🦎 hangs out and craps on your neighbors head. You get a video of that shit and it’s America’s funniest home videos material. ROAR!!!
  • shadowcat
    4 years ago
    "sell them as pets" reminds me of when I was on vacation in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Some young boys at the beach were trying to sell 12" ones with a tiny leashes around their necks.
  • rickthelion
    4 years ago
    You misunderstood things shadowcat. I strongly suspect those iguanas were into BDSM. From what I understand many squamates are all into BDSM. And I’m a rick so I understand everything! ROAR!!!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion