tuscl

OT: The cost of my home made burger

Liwet
If she walks away smiling, you spent too much.
Friday, July 10, 2020 4:23 PM
I got the urge to make a burger at home rather than get a takeout burger and it was absolutely delicious and <a href="[view link] something like this</a>. I pulled up my store receipt to figure out the cost of the burger and found the burger ultimately cost me $4.81. I've listed the prices below; they go to so many digits because something like the hamburger buns were bought in a pack of 12 for $2.79 but I only used 1. Same with a jar of pickles, burger sauce, etc. The lettuce, purple onions, and tomatoes came packaged together as "hamburger fixins." Meat $2.445 Cheese $0.9975 Bun $0.2325 Fixins $0.8725 Pickles $0.1195 Burger sauce $0.143125 Total $4.810125

33 comments

• Chili Palmer
    4 years ago
    So your labor in buying the fixings, transporting the fixings and preparing the fixings has no value? Good to know. Also, cheese did not cost you a dollar, it cost a penny. And, if you only made one burger, then the total cost of all the ingredients (12 buns, the entire jar) is your actual cost, not the individual serving. Do yourself a favor and never open a restaurant or contracting business. I shudder to think how quickly that would go bankrupt.
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    Cost of typical bypass surgery: $123,000
  • Liwet
    4 years ago
    >So your labor in buying the fixings, transporting the fixings and preparing the fixings has no value? 10 slices of cheese is $3.99. I used 2 slices on the first two burgers and plan on using 3 slices for the next two. The cost of transportation is the same as getting drive thru. Cost of labor and prep time actually adds a negative value to the burger since the alternative is to fill up my free time with boredom. I plan on using the same ingredients to make multiple burgers. Burgers are purchased in packs of 2, both the cheese and fixins is enough for 4 burgers, the pickles can cover 20 burgers and the burger sauce at least 16. They'll converge eventually but even if there's waste, it will be spread out over many burgers. For reference, in my area a Double Quarter Pounder with cheese at McDonald's is $6.71 after tax and a 3x3 at In-N-Out burgers is something like $6.43.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    ^ Who the hell would eat a Double Quarter Pounder W/ Cheese at MacDonalds that's gotta be at least 900 calories add a soda and fries that would be like 2000 calories in a single meal which is more calories than anyone who isn't an Ironworker or a electrical lineman would need in a whole day I hope you have good health insurance, you are headed for a massive coronary
  • TheElmerFudd
    4 years ago
    Seems the cost is not that relevant. After all we are talking $4 and change vs $6 and change. Also if cost really is the point then you can do the calculation by looking up the prices without actually cooking it. I’d think the main point is something like the joy of cooking and the deliciousness of the food. If so then I hear you man: you just can’t compare a good home cooked burger with MickyD offerings.
  • gobstopper007
    4 years ago
    If you want a tasty burger mix some different ground meats together. I use a third ground beef (80/20) a third ground venison and a third ground lamb
  • IceyLoco
    4 years ago
    Add gas and ware on your car. Time. And electricity. The cost of dish soap to clean up. Etc. Food is getting too expensive though. And fast food isn't a good value anymore.
  • founder
    4 years ago
    Holy crap, this pandemic needs to end. You people are tooooo bored!
  • GoVikings
    4 years ago
  • ime
    4 years ago
    GoV i knew what that was going to be before I even clicked the link. Well done.
  • Eve
    4 years ago
    @Founder, I find this to be a completely wholesome discussion about the financial comparisons and contrasts between making homeschooled meals as opposed to going out to fast or fancy eating establishments and how one can save doing the former.
  • Eve
    4 years ago
    Not homeschooled, home cooked** So much for sounding eloquent.
  • goldmongerATL
    4 years ago
    There have been 241 uses of the letter A in this thread so far not including user names. Oh crap, now it is 246. Fuck! 247. I was counting the B's but now I have to start over. Dammit! 250. Ugh! 251.
  • TheElmerFudd
    4 years ago
    ^ uncertainty principle
  • WhiteyJackson
    4 years ago
    Burgers are gods way of saying 'these cows are made for eatin.'
  • Liwet
    4 years ago
    I think the pig is God's animal. Turns boring and yucky vegetables into delicious bacon.
  • NAAAASTY
    4 years ago
    Homemade burger better be better than a McDonalds. Aim higher. Start with better ingredients; better bread, better cheese, better bacon, better meat and better etc. NAAAASTY
  • winex
    4 years ago
    @Eve, if the burger you are eating was home schooled, then Chili Palmer's argument about the cost of labor takes on added weight. It takes a lot of time to educate a cow.
  • herbtcat
    4 years ago
    I like burgers. If In-n-Out made decent fries I'd be all over that place. So my #1 go to is Fatburger.
  • IceyLoco
    4 years ago
    I like in n out fries. For fast food burgers id rank my top 5.... Smash burger ....double smash with cheese In n out.... Double double with grilled onions Burger King... Double whopper with cheese Mcdonalds ... Double quarter pounder with cheese Del taco... Double cheese burger
  • Eve
    4 years ago
    When I went to Atlanta recently, I visited the Slutty Vegan for the first time because it is hyped as all hell and I wanted to see what the hype was about. It's a plant-based burger joint that's only open from 11AM to 7PM, and they have a mile-long line outside the building from start to finish. Okay, it looks long, but I waited maybe 12 minutes tops to put in my order. Their meals start at $15, so it's a bit pricey. However, not only was I served the best plant-based burger I've ever had, but that was probably the best burger. period. that I've ever had. You can't taste the difference at all. Their most basic burger, the One Night Stand, is a double non-dairy-cheese burger with (eggplant) bacon, caramelized onion, tomato, lettuce, slut sauce (I don't know what in the sauce but it's good). Comes with fries. Still tastes like a really good heart attack, and I say that being the polar opposite of vegan. But the pricing... I'd go broke if I ate their food every single day. I don't think I can make something at home equivalent to their burger (don't know the cooking protocols to meatless meat), but maybe one day I'll step to the challenge. No, this isn't an ad for Slutty Vegan, I was just that thoroughly impressed.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    @Eve The Beyond burger sold in Publix is a good choice if you add a slice of onion and tomato and some ketchup it's really good, a bit pricey but filling and a healthy option
  • misterorange
    4 years ago
    Fuck fake burgers.
  • Jascoi
    4 years ago
    one of my favorite is in n out double double animal style. under $5. homemade burger with grass fed beef cooked rare and provolone cheese and all the fixin’s.... excellent. add some bacon slices... heaven.
  • IceyLoco
    4 years ago
    I can't do vegan cheese. And I feel ripped off when faux meat costs more than the real thing. I like to grill my burger medium well using charcoal. Add some smoked cheddar mayo heinz 57 lettuce onion and tomato on a classic bun or wonder bread
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    We only buy food out that we cannot or do not wish to make at home. My wife makes the best burger on earth and we've had burgers out once in the last 3 years because of it. If we get takeout its usually pho, which we don't/cannot make right.
  • IceyLoco
    4 years ago
    We get pho as well. See we have common ground skibum
  • IceyLoco
    4 years ago
    You my nigga
  • Liwet
    3 years ago
    Does the Inn'n'Out Double-Double still cost under $5 now?
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Barely
  • Liwet
    3 years ago
    Why aren't they being archived or why is the bump system in place?
  • rickthelion
    3 years ago
    ^ Good point Liwet ape. I do have a question for you: what the fuck is “burger sauce?” I am betting that it is some ungodly mixture of catsup, relish, and jizz. Am I right?
  • rickthelion
    3 years ago
    ^ ‘cause I’m telling you that the vulture visited your supermarket before you did you probably had some vulture jizz in the your condiments. My bud rick likes to go down to the supermarket with his other vulture buds and they open the catsup and mustard bottles and - shall we say - share a lil’ love 💕 But don’t worry. I’m sure that vulture jizz is highly nutritious. Just discuss it with your doctor.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion