tuscl

Do masks increase spread of Corona virus?

While there is no conclusive scientific proof that masks do anything to prevent the transmission of Corona virus, what if they in fact increase the spread of the illness?

I have come to the conclusion through observation that people wearing masks are less likely to practice social distancing and more likely to engage in risky behaviors. The masks, far from merely being useless, cause a false sense of security among wearers.

21 comments

• Uprightcitizen
    4 years ago
    I hear they actually cause aids. Wear them at your own risk.
  • Icey
    4 years ago
    Masks that aren't antiviral don't really help but don't hurt. But I agree that they give people a false sense of safety which is dangerous.
  • blahblahblah23
    4 years ago
    That is a good point about these bullshit masks giving people a false sense of security.
  • himoverthere
    4 years ago
    Put a mask on, then try to spit as much as possible onto your hand. Then take it off and try to spit as much as possible onto your hand. Note the difference? Yeah they aren't perfect, but they are effective for the most part.
  • blahblahblah23
    4 years ago
    Wally world told me to put on a mask so I went elsewhere I didnt have to lol these governors can fuck right off and suck my imaginary dick with these fake "laws"
  • nicespice
    4 years ago
    —>“I have come to the conclusion through observation that people wearing masks are less likely to practice social distancing and more likely to engage in risky behaviors. The masks, far from merely being useless, cause a false sense of security among wearers.”

Would you like to elaborate on what risky behaviors you have noticed?

Yes mask wearing can be made less effective with constantly fidgeting with it and other things. And other small things that, humans being humans, tend to do. But if they aren’t effective, what would be your solution? Close down the bars again? In my area, bars were supposed to shut down but in practice many bars and most strip clubs here were able to somehow pass itself off as a breastaurant after bars were ordered to shut down again. And mask wearing (whether actually effective or not) is probably one reason the state is being so lax with its definition of “restaurant” and allowed that to happen.

If it turns out mask wearing is ineffective, then I’m sure bars and maybe restaurants will (actually) shut down again.

• nicespice
    4 years ago
    Anyways, given the PR problem police agencies are currently facing, many departments in Texas have outright stated they are going to refuse to enforce the mask wearing. I doubt Texas is the only state that will happen at. 🤷🏻‍♀️
    https://abc13.com/health/texas-mask-orde…
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    It’s becoming increasingly clear that the folks that politicized wearing masks are clueless and the smarter bunch of dummies have adopted wearing masks as just plain common sense
    Bear in mind even though many folks have been acting responsibly the damage done by the idiots is far greater than the saves
    Just look at the huge increase in infections in places that did not use common sense precautions and have a central authority to protect everyone
  • whodey
    4 years ago
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/03/us/arizon…

Great sign from a 2nd hand clothing store in Arizona.

If you choose not to wear a mask, we respectfully ask that you postpone your visit,

We'll be happy to debate the efficacy of masks when this is all over and you come in to sell your dead grandmother's clothes.

TL;DR Masks Required.
  • Richard_Head
    4 years ago
    Growing evidence seems to be indicating that the virus is airborne, thus the wearing of a mask is one of the best ways to slow the transmission. It would also explain why the transmission is moving the fastest in the south and the west where the use of air conditioning is higher. Mask up mother f’ers.
    https://www.voanews.com/covid-19-pandemi…
  • rudy111
    4 years ago
    Again this is not a social or political issue. The studies have been done all over the world previously with SARS. Masks worn in other countries (Japan for eg) have proven effective in limiting the transmission of airborne virus's. Look at Japan's statistics right now with covid and you will see how much more effective they have been with the virus.
  • ATACdawg
    4 years ago
    Of course masks are ineffective!!!

Why would doctors and nurses wear them religiously if they were effective?

Yes, the above is sarcasm directed at OP, smh.
  • Icey
    4 years ago
    Masks are effective. When it's the right type of mask. A cloth face covering or a mask that isn't antiviral are not.

It's basically a ploy to make us less apprehensive about being out and about as business want to stay open ....so were given a false sense of security.

• JC2003
    4 years ago
    No, they don't, Dave.
  • joker44
    4 years ago
    OP still working toward his Hitler Youth Paul Joseph Goebbels propaganda badge. Progress made - more coherent, tighter presentation of illogical thought and unwarranted conclusions. Less obvious BIG LIE.
  • gSteph
    4 years ago
    Must be trolling.
    What else could it be?

Guess it could be Willful Ignorance.

Regular ignorance is rarely so deep.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Wah wah wah said the little bitch named Joker.
  • crsm27
    4 years ago
    The OP has a good point. Because the cloth masks people are wearing is proven not to be the most effective. But gives people a false sense of security. Which means people might not be doing the social distancing. But like others have stated it is better than nothing.

But if "masks" were the cure all for this... then we wouldn't need the other "regulations".

The way I look at the masks issue. Is do it if you feel you need to and I try to do it as much as I remember to wear it. But it is like locking your door wont stop someone from breaking into your home. It might just slow them down is all.

The people who are making it Political (ALL SIDES OF THE POLITICAL SPECTRUM) are the idiots. The people screaming it is my right not to wear one then barge into a store and demand they should be allowed in... are idiots. Because the same right they are screaming is the same right a store has to deny you into it because IT IS THERE CHOICE TO ENFORCE THIS POLICY. Just like the President should wear a mask to show solidarity on this issue. But instead he is bucking it to "prove" a point. Same goes for the media asking everyday about why doesn't the president wear a mask.... stop kicking a dead horse.
  • whodey
    4 years ago
    "But if "masks" were the cure all for this... then we wouldn't need the other "regulations".:

I haven't heard anyone claim masks were the "cure all" for the situation. Is requiring that people wear masks going to make Covid19 go away completely? Of course not, but they do help slow down the spread and protect the people around you.

Enforcing DUI laws isn't going to prevent all traffic fatalities, does that mean we shouldn't have laws requiring people not to drive drunk? Of course not, these laws do lessen the number of traffic fatalities and protects those around you.

"I try to do it as much as I remember to wear it." How can you not remember it all the time? As you stated it is constantly being discussed to the point that you say they need to "stop kicking a dead horse" but obviously they need to keep kicking if you sometimes don't remember to wear a mask.

People need to stop thinking about only themselves and realize that requiring you to wear a mask isn't about protecting you, it is about protecting everybody else from you.
  • Uprightcitizen
    4 years ago
    Here is a more dramatic but easy to grasp analogy.

If a person buckles up the seatbelt, decides he feels infallible and drives like a maniac endangering themselves and others then the problem isn't the seat belt is it?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion