tuscl

OT: Agree or not ?

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)
Thursday, July 2, 2020 2:59 PM
"Please, Tip 50 Percent" [view link]

44 comments

• Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    I usually tip at least fairly, and sometimes above fair (more than 20%) - and as of late I *have* been cognizant to often go a bit past fair - but IDK if 50%+ is called for as the new-normal till things get back on track.
  • londonguy
    4 years ago
    50% seems a bit high to me, I think 30% max is reasonable.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    ^ is tipping common in England?
  • rogertex
    4 years ago
    Setting expectations around tipping is always a double-edged sword. Unknowingly such Authors end up doing more harm than good for the restaurant/service industry. The good is - it does make the fortunate become aware of the hardships. So uptick may happen. The bad is - it also makes a prospective customer skip a restaurant and simply head for the drive-through - as this becomes out of bound (everyone's hurtin). Actually hurts the business. The ugly is - it pisses off prospective customers - especially ones who have been to Europe and other parts of the world where waiters and waitresses are real professionals, offer impeccable service and love their work. And compared with entitled asses in USA (many. no all). It is a huge contrast that anybody who has eaten at a restaurant abroad has experienced. I feel fortunate during these times and tip more out of my own desire - for good/reasonable service. Many of us are donating money to charities - why not spend a portion on those who are serving you locally (i.e., restaurant waiters)
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    Disagree.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    You anti-50%ers+ are not woke
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    Not woke for sure
  • Warrior15
    4 years ago
    She's gotta flirt a lot and show a lot of cleavage to get a tip that big from me !!!!
  • Eve
    4 years ago
    also not woke. staying asleep.
  • londonguy
    4 years ago
    Papi, no. It is not common.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    👍
  • Salty.Nutz
    4 years ago
    Pre Covid disagree, but now I agree. Everything is going to be expensive, gym memberships, dining out, especially strip clubs. A lot of restaurants are going to close and the only way to ensure social distancing in bars, restaurants and SC is by jacking up the price. In bangkok the girls would be in fish bowl and you picked the 1 you liked, price varied by age and beauty. but since prostitution is not legal her i expect the Colombia night club model. in colombia you get access to VIP by paying a premium. ratio probly 10 girls to 1. Model quality girls but you will pay big to party.
  • Salty.Nutz
    4 years ago
    The guys that couldnt wait to blow those 40 dollars in their pockets are not going to make it.
  • BabyDoc
    4 years ago
    I like to tell myself that I’m against tipping as a practice but especially the older I get the more I seem to tip. I regularly tip my barber 150% but she does double duty as my psychiatrist so there’s that. lol To answer the question, I don’t know that 50% should be the new normal. For me it is very much situationally dependent. Of course it doesn’t hurt if she has big tits.
  • Muddy
    4 years ago
    50%??? Am I getting my dick sucked too???
  • whodey
    4 years ago
    I don't think 50% should be the new normal but I occasionally tip that much. When I got my hair cut last weekend I tipped her about 90% just because she was cute, had a good friendly personality and was fast. But giving her $40 for a $21 haircut isn't as big of a deal as tipping 50% at every restaurant. At most restaurants I am usually around 20% for decent service and go up to about 30% for great service and sometimes higher if the service is fantastic. What really drives me nuts is when I ordered a pizza Monday night and the restaurant's website tried to get me to add a "40% recommended tip for the driver" when I went to check out. I was already paying an extra $4.95 for the delivery fee on a $20 order and they want me to tip the driver $8 for driving the pizza 6 minutes to my house?
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    I hope not too many dancers are reading this
  • GoVikings
    4 years ago
    Lolol muddy your post reminded me of this [view link]
  • joatmon
    4 years ago
    If the service is good, I usually tip a minimum of 20%. First time I got a haircut after barbershops re-opened here. I tipped over 100% just cause they had had it hard and I like the job they do. If it is an establishment that you like I think you should tip more than normal right now, but to each his own.
  • Jascoi
    4 years ago
    I have no problem tipping myself 50% for my haircut that I perform on myself and preparing food for myself.
  • Member6532
    4 years ago
    I feel like tipping/fees/donations is getting out of control right now. Every restaurant has a fee for ordering online, plus tip request and uber has been doing a "give money straight to the restaurant" donation option. But more then that liquor stores and breweries are now requesting tips for in store pick up. Multiple businesses are posting on social media gofundme pages they created for themselves asking for money, not selling gift cards, tickets for future shows or events, or anything in return. These are businesses not charities, hell some of the breweries are selling more beer then ever and renaming tip as a pick up fee for 20% and arent even bringing it to your car.
  • TheElmerFudd
    4 years ago
    Disagree. That can’t be a realistic solution. Fix the actual problem.
  • mike710
    4 years ago
    I tipped every girl on stage $10 on the first trip back to my favorite club. I tipped more with girls that I liked. Gave more than 50% to the bartender and handed the one server a $20. Hell, i even gave the bouncer a $20 because he is the roommate of a friend. I did this because they went through a much tougher time than I did and I hadn't spent any money at all on anything but essentials. I plan to tip extra for a while but probably not as much eventually. I always tip more than 20% at places I frequent regularly and know the staff a bit more. I might not be spending much again soon because states I frequent and where I live is starting to shut down for a while again.
  • datinman
    4 years ago
    I tip for service. The waitress that fills my coffee 5 times at a cheap truck stop diner is going to get 50% or better. 20 - 25% is plenty at a restaurant wear cocktails, wine, and entree for two bring the tab into the $300 - $400 range. I refuse to tip for someone just making change at the register like in a liquor store.
  • BAngus
    4 years ago
    St. Tropez? This overpriveleged jackass Chris Crowley thinks that given all the layoffs due to the 'rona panic shutdowns that the average consumer of restaurant delivery even gives that place a second thought? More proof that the average journalist has no idea what life is like in the real world.
  • Meursault
    4 years ago
    Are you sure this article wasn’t on MoneyGrubbingStreet? I always tip 25%, but I’m starting to think I should tip 0%. Maybe if the kids working these jobs felt some more economic pain they’d start voting better. They couldn’t vote worse.
  • crosscheck
    4 years ago
    I've been tipping the same 20 to 25% that I normally do. I've always been a good tipper going to back to when I delivered pizza in high school. Once you've worked a job where tips are most of your income, you'll always be a good tipper thereafter.
  • gammanu95
    4 years ago
    50% is an absolute joke. "Putting their life on the line...being made to work." That is absolute fiction. Working is a privilege, not a right. You also have the right to refuse work, it is not slavery. No, I am very strict about tipping. 10-15-20%, before tax. If you really earn it, I'll go a hair above 20; and if you really earn it, I will tip less than 10. All these people with their hands out, in the form of tip jars everywhere. In the strongest terms possible, I disagree.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    This isn’t a tip, it’s the equivelent of a Vegas hotel resort fee. A sneaky way to increase the base cost. Same result. Pisses me off and makes me less likely to go.
  • Cashman1234
    4 years ago
    I’m sure this comment will get me into trouble - but here goes. Waiting tables is not what I consider a career. It’s a job you do while either getting an education - or when you are out of your job. Folks can make very good money waiting tables - and sadly many come to rely on these jobs - and think they are careers. They are not careers. Being a restaurant owner or a real chef - are careers. And the article is also obnoxiously out of touch by saying not tipping 50% is going to pay for the diner’s trip to San Tropez! This is just stupid - and out of touch! These folks should take their $600 a week and stimulus payments - and not act entitled to more.
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    Cash, that response was amazingly arrogant and out of touch. Now I'm not sure that 50% is the right number, but I have been more generous lately. As far as what a "career" is, any honest employment that puts food on the table is noble work and waiting tables often pays much better than the next best options.
  • gammanu95
    4 years ago
    "Cash, that response was amazingly arrogant and out of touch. " There's the pot calling the kettle black.
  • daddyfatsack
    4 years ago
    Could always fix the actual problem but you morons likely oppose that with all your might as well
  • IceyLoco
    4 years ago
    I highly disagree. Delivery apps already add like 30% of tge cost of your food in fees. And restaurants are raising prices while offering smaller portions and often worse quality food. From my experience. While keeping only a few workers and none of them full time. I'm a lot more careful as to where I spend my money now and I don't like being ripped off
  • IceyLoco
    4 years ago
    Also with the economy suffering its greedy and selfish to ask people who are struggling to subsidize a business' obligations with donations. If they can't pay their ekployees they shouldn't be in business
  • Uprightcitizen
    4 years ago
    Not. Right now I tip 20% for carryout which is pretty damn good for no service. Inside with service I have been 20-30% considering the difficulty.
  • shanny72
    4 years ago
    I used to go out for lunch or dinner often at a select few locations. Sat at the bar usually and became friendly with a bartender or 3. Knowing what they have been through, and also because I like them I've been tipping 50% or better. But as a standard tip, I say 25-30 is reasonable in this environment.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    The article comes across as guilt-tripping people for not tipping outrageously - comes across as if they are trying to cancel-out 20%-tipping to replace-it w/ 50%+ tipping (I guess 20% is oppressive)
  • IceyLoco
    4 years ago
    They should focus on asking why employees don't get a living wage
  • Cashman1234
    4 years ago
    This is part of a poor attempt to say that crappy jobs should be careers. They aren’t careers - and this should not be a discussion. I worked shit jobs in college - so I could get a real job. The guy who makes fries at McDonalds shouldn’t think he’s entitled to a paycheck that allows him to buy a 4 bedroom house. Those jobs aren’t careers. You make fries and take the bus back to your parents house - or you go back to your dorm room and study. Folks are soft now - and they want a living wage for menial jobs - and it’s wrong. I know those jobs are honest employment, but they aren’t careers. This is a free market economy and we can’t pay folks a living wage for menial jobs that require minimal training.
  • Mr_O
    4 years ago
    I always tip 25% and round up to the next $1.
  • Cashman1234
    4 years ago
    Make sure you tip your wannabe actor or actress wait staff enough money so they can afford to continue to pursue their dream of making it big in show biz! Even though they are reaching 50 - and have never gotten a call back!
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    @Cashman I agree with you
  • RamPaige
    4 years ago
    Tipping is depending on the service provided though. If the service is terrible, shouldn't the tip be low as well?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion