tuscl

MLB set to return in July, ending months-long coronavirus shutdown

joker44
In the wind
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/20…

"...[MLB set] a date for the reopening of “spring” training camps (July 1) and a new Opening Day of July 23 or 24, nearly four months behind schedule. The season will be 60 games, by far the shortest in the sport’s modern history, followed by a postseason.

7 comments

• Goodclubrep
    4 years ago
    Baseball light. Do you expect the NFL to have no or a reduced fan season? Of course Television and money drive nearly all sports.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    During spring training there will be a huge outbreak and the season cancelled. Our fantasy league now has a $50 buy in instead of $500.
  • Warrior15
    4 years ago
    But now the Texas Rangers will have to quarantine before they can play the Yankees.
  • rattdog
    4 years ago
    a lot can happen from now until july 23. once a bunch of players and coaches test positive the season will be all done.
  • Cashman1234
    4 years ago
    Based on the college football reports of players testing positive each day, I’ll be surprised to see what happens in many contact sports as they resume.

I’m sure they keep stats on everything relating to cash flows each generates by being on the team. By not having fans in the stands - I’m guessing it will kill profits. Considering the greed in major sports - I’m surprised they are going to play at all.
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    From what I've been hearing, the owners didn't want to play at all if they could not have fans in the stadiums because they are going to lose money on each game. Baseball teams, far more than NFL franchises, are reliant upon stadium attendance for their revenues. Their TV deals are far more fractured and less lucrative than the one negotiated collectively by the NFL.

I suspect that the only reason this deal got done at all is that the owners are afraid of permanent fan loss and a player revolt if they bail out without a very good reason. But I agree with rat that they could very well find the excuse that they are seeking if the infections spread among players.

• ATACdawg
    4 years ago
    If social distancing is enforced, we will see some astronomical scores! I mean, how can you tag anyone out will staying six feet away?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion