tuscl

Coronavirus antibodies may last only two to three months after infection, study

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)
Any new "study" should be taken with a grain-of-salt but at least food-for-thought:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/18/coronavi…

20 comments

• OrangeClown
    4 years ago
    ^^Club ad.
  • Muddy
    4 years ago
    I’d want to see more. Fauci is convinced we are going to get fucked up in the fall though so it may be time this summer to get clubbing in
  • Muddy
    4 years ago
    Or anything for that matter
  • Warrior15
    4 years ago
    The Bengals MAY win the Super Bowl this year !
  • clubdude
    4 years ago
    Looks like the best bet is to develop a vaccine, but that appears to not be going so well. On a brighter note (sorry Warrior), this year belongs to the Lions!!
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    We're relying on Americans to remember who we are and to move ahead; suffer the losses; and get on with life. How do we do that? We just bought season ski passes wednesday for next year. Ain't no social distancing in the Tram.
  • goldmongerATL
    4 years ago
    The Yankees may win the Super Bowl!
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    The Giants might win the Super Bowl
  • MackTruck
    4 years ago
    The Padres are going to win the superbowl
  • Player11
    4 years ago
    Then we are really in deep shit in more ways than one. Considering this came from China shall we consider it an act of war from them. Put a us AF / missle base in Taiwan and dare PRC go to war over it. Of course USN assets nearby to respond.
  • nickifree
    4 years ago
    But the immune systems still are able to fight future virus. It's just like influenza. There's a cost to carry antibodies, some viruses the body doesn't just keep for a life time. Like Influenza, it may reoccur several times over a lifespan. And again like influenza, reoccur without serious consequence until other health factors kick in, like age, heart disease, and obesity/diabeties.
  • IfIGottaBeDamned
    4 years ago
    Agreed medical science still has much to learn about this virus. So predictions are subject to change. But like influenza, I’m thinking a COVID-19 vaccine might become an annual event administered in the autumn to help mitigate the impact during the peak winter season. I highly doubt any vaccine will be ready for autumn 2020, but autumn 2021 may be possible.
  • TheElmerFudd
    4 years ago
    I don’t think this changes anything, even if it’s true, which no one knows if it is. I think people are either in the camp of waiting for vaccine and treatment, or they don’t give a fuck. Both groups are going to stick to their guns regardless of this.
  • Warrior15
    4 years ago
    I just pulled up the article on this "study". One, the study is in China. Why would we trust anything coming out of there. And two, the study involved testing 74 people. not exactly an extensive study.

The vaccine developed by Moderna was successful in creating the antibodies. That vaccine has been injected into a few hundred participants. After over two months, those participants still have the antibodies and those antibodies were actually stronger and more plentiful after the two months than right after the injections.

I say BS on this study.
  • minnow
    4 years ago
    Earlier in the month, a study was conducted on 382 of the Covid19 infected sailors on the USS Roosevelt (CVN-71) . Just 60% of them tested positive for antibodies. About 1/5 of group were asymptomatic. I would like to know if either group were more likely to develop antibodies. I think the learning curve on this pandemic will be steep for a while.
  • JamesSD
    4 years ago
    This is concerning although one data point.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    "... I think the learning curve on this pandemic will be steep for a while ..."

Looks that way - at one point it was hoped that the high summer temps may possibly eliminate the virus similar to the flu, but this virus does not seem to follow expected behaviors
  • gammanu95
    4 years ago
    Antibodies failing to prevent reinfections was reported several weeks ago. This study just seems to add more evidence to that claim.

There was another headline on TV that Florida ICUs are nearing capacity, which is what the first stay-at-home was meant to avoid.

The first shutdown also taught us that we can not afford to shut down, so we could be looking at triaging in the streets and more convalescing at home.

This is all China's fault. The are indebted to the whole world for this mess. If the world had more leaders like Trump, they would excoriated, ostracized, and made into the rogue pariah state that they truly are. The fucking UN cowards won't do it, though. The US should build another coalition of the willing.
  • aleccorbett
    4 years ago
    37 people in this study dudes. Biology changes. Also antibodies being detectable doesn't mean that your immune system won't fight it off.

Don't get science from CNBC. Get it from scientific journals.
  • Locutusbrg
    4 years ago
    As a person who reads medical literature for a living I will tell you that one small unreplicated study is interesting but not compelling. It might be true. But the reopening of Wuhan and the gross number data in Western Europe don't really fit with the findings of that study.
    The truth is it takes 3 years to properly breakdown the contagiousness and leathality of the typical flu season. A well understood and it has a vaccine and a simple lab test.
    Novel covid 19 I'm guessing the real data on transmission and resistance is about 5 years away.
    No reason to hit the panic button yet.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion