tuscl

Trumps chances of re-election

londonguy
Breathe, breathe in the air
Friday, April 17, 2020 11:16 AM
How has his handling of Coronavirus affected his chances of winning a second term?

84 comments

• bdirect
    4 years ago
    i think he will win agian,,,,, he like to be the alpha male, so he is a fighter.......he is fighting the virus the best he can , consider the the western world could go into a deep 1929 depression
  • RamPaige
    4 years ago
    50/50, the economy is tanking which will hurt, but Biden isn't strong enough of a candidate.
  • datinman
    4 years ago
    Biden is his own worse enemy. If he wants to win, he better name someone like Oprah Winfrey as his running mate.
  • Subraman
    4 years ago
    Given the right will stick with Trump, and liberals with go with Biden, the questions are: 1. where's the center going, 2. is the far left energized to come out for Biden? I have no idea about #2, other than to note that there are rumblings among progressives to "punish" the Democrats for not going with Bernie, by not coming out. But the center -- particularly women -- may end up the real question. My gut feel is that the center, including the parts that went with Trump last election, is going Biden unless he implodes due to his own bumbling, the sexual assault charges have legs, etc. His to lose.
  • Subraman
    4 years ago
    Sorry -- to add in to londonguy's direct question, his handling of coronavirus, especially the skepticism on the front end and the inability to accelerate testing in the thick of it, will become issues. If he pulls the economy out somewhat before Nov, he might be able to minimize those issues.
  • Lone_Wolf
    4 years ago
    My guess is Trump will win again. I see Biden as Hillary 2.0. Like Hillary, I have no idea what his platform is, besides platitudes, even though I watched several debates.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    I don't think his handling of Corona has helped him - I still think he'll win in 2020 b/c it seems the best Biden has to offer is that he's not Trump and it seems that voting for someone b/c he's not the other guy is usually not enough (as opposed to voting for someone b/c the voter really believes in that person). I don't think most voters are gonna blame him if the economy is not doing well by the end of the year (most people will blame the virus) - plus the economy was breaking records pre-Corona (he'll probably get credit for that) and there's a chance the economy can come back strong if we can get Corona behind us sooner than later.
  • Mate27
    4 years ago
    The uncertainty around Coronavirus leads to people wanting certainty, which is why he will likely be re-elected. Independents will pick the devil they know instead of the unknown.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    I think his handling of the Covid-19 crisis has been abysmal with buck passing strategies and blame shifting galore, you can’t go by the people on this board there’s a core group that think he’s the second coming, but that’s his superpower I hope enough people are fed up with this constant chaos to be rid of him OTOH Biden has some baggage but he’s more likable than Hillary, I think Biden wins a tight race with minority and women voters making the difference
  • CJKent (Banned)
    4 years ago
    @londonguy To answer your questions: Trumps Chances Of Re-Election There is a 100% chances of Trump “being re-elected” because we don’t elect the president directly, the electoral college does “selects” the POTUS puppet/jester of the 1% in America. The Electoral College Is a “deliberative body” drawn from the privileged 1%. How has his handling of Coronavirus affected his chances of winning a second term? His handling of Coronavirus has not affected his chances at all.
  • ATACdawg
    4 years ago
    Frankly, after his consistently abysmal performance during COVID, his kleptocratic appointments of friends and family, his major lying about easily checkable facts, his constant ignoring of medical experts followed by firing anyone who disagrees with him, etc., I don't think he could be elected dogcatcher in November Biden's main attraction may be that he isn't Trump, and frankly, that's good enough for me.
  • Cashman1234
    4 years ago
    How can they have conventions - or an election - given the current lock downs? I don’t know how the public views the handling of this virus, and how Trump will fare. My thought is - Trump is not the cause of the virus - that’s all on China. But if he acted a little sooner - and got testing implemented on a wider scale - we might be in better shape. This could be very positive for Dems - unless someone comes up with a way to cure this virus. If a cure is developed while Trump is in office - he will take full credit - and he will reopen the country immediately - and he will probably be re-elected.
  • Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    He’s an idiot. Incompetent. Amoral. Not a leader. But he was all of those things in 2016 and he got elected. I don’t understand why anyone voted for him. I literally mean I don’t understand it but it happened so there must be reasons. Many hated Hilary or Obama. Maybe that drove some to him. Certainly, it caused some people to stay home. Also, his election is driving up voter interest on both sides. Is it enough to swing it? Who TF knows.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    "... I don’t understand why anyone voted for him ..." I think his election spoke more to how many feel feel about typical politicians
  • Cashman1234
    4 years ago
    The lesser of two evils is one way to look at why folks vote for him...
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    He's been a successful con man his whole life, that's why people voted for him in 2016, I think there's a core group that thinks they are too smart to fall for a con merchant, those are the ones that will vote for him again.
  • Warrior15
    4 years ago
    Biden is a very weak candidate. So Trump needs to concentrate on getting us thru this Corona mess. And do it quickly. If he does that, then he wins in a landslide in November. If he doesn't then it doesn't really matter. The world economy is going to collapse.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    I recently saw the Trump Netflix series - not much in there one didn't know already but it was entertaining enough: [view link]
  • Mate27
    4 years ago
    25, everybody succumbs to a certain injustice in life, nobody is immune to it. Therefore if there was another president in place of the current one whom didn’t align with your bias, you’d be bashing that one just as much as Trump. The pandemic is a worldwide injustice affecting some more than others. Sure is fun seeing people’s confirmation bias, another thing we aren’t immune to.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    ^ Sure buddy whatever you say.
  • JamesSD
    4 years ago
    Biden is like Hillary without a vagina and decades of baggage, so he will do much better with working class whites in swing States. Trump won't be able to campaign on the economy. A lot of social safety nets the Democrats like probably are up in popularity. The Republicans wanted to solve this crisis with their answer to everything: tax cuts for corporations. But really? It's crazy. This is unprecedented. Trump could win with 60 percent of the popular vote. He could lose by the same margin. This will not be a remotely normal election.
  • snowtime
    4 years ago
    Last election I voted AGAINST Hillary because of her many bad qualities. This time I was leaning toward voting against Trump because he acts like a 12 year old much of the time. After watching all of the debates, I am not at all sure about Biden. It looks to me like he is “losing it” very quickly. If he stumbles badly in the debates with Trump, I don’t think he can win. His choice for VP will be very important. I think many will vote for Biden assuming he will step down shortly after being elected, if he wins.
  • Player11
    4 years ago
    Zero.
  • Mate27
    4 years ago
    Well Snowtime, Trump is a master debater which plays well for him. Biden stumbles too much to get to the point.
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    If the Dems had a stronger candidate I might be worried. But Creepy Joe Biden? Good Lord. I think he is in the beginning stages of Alzheimer's and with that sexual attack charge hanging over his head, he's not looking too great right now. I can't wait to see what he looks like in head to head debates with Trump.
  • san_jose_guy_
    4 years ago
    Trump can drop to his knees and given Biden a blowjob in each debate and still win the debate. Relaxing Jazz Music - Background Chill Out Music [view link] SJG
  • Mate27
    4 years ago
    ^^^Biden Trump toda la noche!
  • Clubber
    4 years ago
    Some think this chinese virus crap will hurt him. That is true only as far as the voters believe the main stream media, Of course they are all time, all in, against President Trump. They didn't believe it in '16, so we shall see.
  • JamesSD
    4 years ago
    Trump lost it a while ago. He's an awful debator, he Lost all of them against Hillary but it didn't matter... ... For the electoral college. We may not see another Republican win the popular vote
  • Uprightcitizen
    4 years ago
    I would vote for Taft right now
  • tcp
    4 years ago
    Trump lost the popular vote by about 3 million votes. He won the Electoral College by winning 3 winner-take-all swing states by about 75,000 votes in all three states all together. A 30,000 vote switch is all it takes and Trump is polling really bad in these States. Voters vote with wallets in mind, and incumbent Presidents lose in bad economic times and only a quick recovery leaves the only path back for Trump
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    It's usually hard to displace an incumbent especially if the person running against him is not a strong candidate
  • rl27
    4 years ago
    It depends on how good the Biden's campaign, and the Democratic PAC's are getting their message out. Trump's own mouth has given plenty of ammunition, however the Democrats have yet to use any of it.
  • Muddy
    4 years ago
    It’s tough I think people slept on Trump last time, not this time they’re gonna be ready. I’m not a big Trump fan but I just could never vote for democrat, too much wasteful spending, too much regulation, too much government. I will say this, those debates between Biden and Trump are gonna be great theater.
  • DandyDan
    4 years ago
    Don't know. In order to vote, you have to still be alive on election day.
  • IceyLoco
    4 years ago
    I think he has a good chance of being reelected because people are stupid. His botched response to the crisis shoukd be used against him to the fullest degree and should be enough to keep him out if office. But.... People are stupid.
  • gobstopper007
    4 years ago
    Generally people vote their wallets. Trump somewhat benefits from this being a situation that can be blamed on something other than his economic policies. If Dems slow play and politicize reopening Trump wins easy. If they give the appearance of working to get things going Biden has shot because if Trump cannot portray himself as fighting the swamp his base is not as energized.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    I will write in myself simply because living in the people's republic of massachusetts my vote doesn't matter. If Trump had a chance here I'd hold my nose and vote for the moron, but I don't consider Democrats to be Americans any longer so I cannot vote for them. Looking at Michigan and the idea the scumbag Governor there is a moderate makes me very well aware that a vote for the Democrats at any level is a vote to enslave yourself in the future.
  • misterorange
    4 years ago
    Hillary lost because A) She was seen as Obama 2.0 and B) She was just a flat out unlikable bitch. Biden will lose because he's a babbling idiot. [view link] [view link] [view link]
  • Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    In 2016, dems underestimated the hate for Hilary. It was SUBSTANTIAL. If you look at the numbers voting for Bernie in the 2020 primaries, overall voters went up but votes for Bernie did not go up proportionally. My theory is that much of Bernie’s 2016 support was guided by Hilary hate. Once presented with a more moderate option in Biden, the Hilary hate votes left Bernie. Now there is Trump hate on the dems’ side. Those Hilary haters won’t sit out the election. Biden is milquetoast but that works to his benefit. He should just shut up until November and it will give him his best chance to win.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    The Biden candidacy kinda reminds me of the '96 Bob Dole candidacy (an old timer and it was kinda his turn)
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    It's too close to call and it will boil down to a few battleground states. Trump's approval rating is basically the same as it's been the last two years. He has a cult-of-personality grip on his base and his incompetence doesn't matter. New Gallup poll on how Americans rate Trump’s performance as president: whites w/out college degrees: 61% approve 37% disapprove everyone else: 31% approve 64% disapprove
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    IDK if Biden inspires enough confidence to make independents take a chance on him (unless he got a kickass VP that people really liked)
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    Papi after 3 and a half years of Trump I'd think most have even less confidence in him than ever.
  • georgmicrodong
    4 years ago
    If the vitriol I see coming from the left doesn't scale back, they'll lose again. The stupid fucks just can't resist demonizing anyone who doesn't agree with them 110%.
  • Mate27
    4 years ago
    ^^ you mean like IceyLoco and SJG?
  • founder
    4 years ago
    I'm actually more impressed with Trump than I thought I'd be in 2016. He's harsh, he's brash, he's an asshole
  • founder
    4 years ago
    But he's just what the country needed.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    "... If the vitriol I see coming from the left doesn't scale back, they'll lose again ..." Yeap - if the Dems' platform is gonna be to mainly talk about how much Trump sucks, that will likely be s prescription for losing.
  • PutaTester
    4 years ago
    Biden has a sexual harassment charge. Doesn't the king have a similar history? Why doesn't the moral judgement apply equally to both? The king is a master debater? He can barely pronounce two-syllable words. The arrogance of insisting his name and signature be put on the stimulus checks. Congress created and passed the stimulus bills. The stimulus checks should be the size of the giant contest winner checks with the name of every congress person who voted for the stimulus listed. He is indeed what the country needed...to prove that a neophyte business person is a terrible choice for high office. Just to be clear, some of his policies are on point. The problems are: Lack of constancy, abandoning allies, lying when he doesn't have to, self-promoting at the expense of the taxpayers, to name a few. He makes lemons out of lemonade.
  • Jascoi
    4 years ago
    The Donald has such a huge ego. i’m not sure yet if I’m going to vote for him again. i’ll consider him if there’s really no other good choice
  • crazyjoe
    4 years ago
    Randommember said "It's too close to call and it will boil down to a few battleground states. Trump's approval rating is basically the same as it's been the last two years. He has a cult-of-personality grip on his base and his incompetence doesn't matter. New Gallup poll on how Americans rate Trump’s performance as president: whites w/out college degrees: 61% approve 37% disapprove everyone else: 31% approve 64% disapprove" Your welcome Random. Thanks to the snot nosed class you belong to and your running down blue collar workers, you made Trump's winning like taking candy from a baby.
  • crazyjoe
    4 years ago
    🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • JamesSD
    4 years ago
    Honestly there's still a chance a lot of Trump voters will die from covid. It may accelerate the flip of Texas to purple. When that happens the electoral map starts becoming a disaster for Republicans. Long term the map sucks for Republicans. The country is becoming less white and Trump cut off the the neocon plan of building a coalition with socially conservative Latino voters. Basically if y'all win in 2020 enjoy. Probably will be the last Republican president anyone over 50 sees in his life.
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    Rasmussen polling caters to the GOP base and they're always quoted by Trump supportrs. You can see the recent trend of falling approval by Trump's base: [view link]
  • Cashman1234
    4 years ago
    An arrogant president? Those are rare! If that’s a negative - then most likely 95% of the folks in the Oval Office are in that group. Don’t tell me Obama or Hillary - or W - weren’t arrogant.
  • georgmicrodong
    4 years ago
    The only thing worse that another Trump presidency would be a Biden one. The only thing worse than either would be a Clinton one. If anybody thinks either the democrats or the republicans has any interest in doing anything "for the good of the people", they're high. On acid and meth at the same time.
  • WILLYSGOTAWOMAN
    4 years ago
    How the fuck is Trump just what the country needed? This pandemic would not have been so bad if Trump had not repealed the Obamacare provision to deal with pandemicis
  • Clubber
    4 years ago
    founder, "He's harsh, he's brash, he's an asshole" "But he's just what the country needed." Some truth there, but only a fool can argue the results, especially if you factor in the lame stream media bias.
  • Player11
    4 years ago
    With the money Trump has who knows. He is a smash mouth / trench fighter with enemies.
  • snowtime
    4 years ago
    Like several others on this board, I am not a Trump fan. He IS an asshole, but has done some things I like (most notably standing up to and killing the terrorist leader). I was not planning to vote for him, but if Biden continues to stumble, I might do it. Trump’s reelection will depend on how the 20% in the middle (like me) decide to cast their vote. Most of us don’t like a lot of what he does (tariffs, demeaning a lot of people, etc) but we also don’t like the pitiful candidates the Dems. seem to wind up with. Someone like Amy K. or even Bloomberg would have been much more appealing to the independent voters who will decide this election.
  • ATACdawg
    4 years ago
    One thing stands out to me. The "supporting cast" in a Biden administration is a lot more likely to be populated by knowledgeable people rather than the collection of incompetent family and other sycophants that Trump has surrounded himself with.
  • Clubber
    4 years ago
    ATAC, All those " incompetent family and other sycophants" you mention have done what obama said could not be done with out his BS. Remember his words: [view link] President Trump DIDN'T follow obama's blueprint!
  • Player11
    4 years ago
    It seems too early to call.
  • joker44
    4 years ago
    Yeah, too early to make a reasonable guess. With a volatile voting public, events between now and Nov 3rd will heavily influence outcome. coronavirus outcomes by then scandals? October Surprises? Economy etc
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    ===> "IDK if Biden inspires enough confidence to make independents take a chance on him (unless he got a kickass VP that people really liked)" I'm not even sure if a kickass VP would help. That VP candidate is not going to be the one on the stage debating Trump in September and October. I am genuinely concerned that Biden's mental faculties are shot. I'm also worried about how far left Biden's policy positions have swung in the last several months.
  • Mate27
    4 years ago
    JS69 would make the correct prediction if he would post on here.
  • ilbbaicnl
    4 years ago
    He lost before COVID. He won in 2016 with the votes of fucked over ex factory workers in places like Michigan, who never got their Hope and Change. He didn't do shit for them, they probably won't bother to vote for anybody.
  • crazyjoe
    4 years ago
    "JS69 would make the correct prediction if he would post on here." ^ exactly, I remember when the Carolina Panthers won the Superbowl
  • ilbbaicnl
    4 years ago
    It doesn't really matter who the dem nominee is a far as new laws. They'll be few if the Republicans keep the Senate. But even if they don't, the purple dems will ultimately decide what laws pass, just like they did in 2008/9. Biden's got good foreign policy cred. He warned Obama against the failed surged in Afghanistan, urged him to fight there like the successful strategy against ISIS in Syria. Biden's got all the Black bigwigs behind him. He should promise to make Anita Gupta Attorney General to reassure Black voters who remember he didn't always have their back. Women voters are stuck with him since Trump is clearly the bigger rapist and sexual harasser.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Trump digitally penetrated a staff member while in the Senate? Progressive fools lol. You lost to him again.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Biden is in great shape. He ( now ) has the right progressive policies. He’s lining up all the Democrat interest groups. He’s got the press on his side. He’s squashed that pesky rape allegation. The press is ignoring the billion dollars that he got China to pay his son. The only minor thing left to do is convince the American voters that having dementia is a good thing for a President. It makes him all the more lovable !
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    ^ everything you said about Joe Biden could a should be said about Donald Trump Rape Allegations ☑️ Dementia☑️ Billion dollars to His Daughter from China☑️ Dementia☑️ Good post Mark
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    It could be said, and it has been said, by people with zero facts to back them up. A billion dollars to Ivanka, you say. Tell me more !
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    Who needs facts Mark you’re talking about Trump his middle name is fake news
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Is that kind of like “ I’m rubber and you’re glue......” ? Strong argument !
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    Lol yes
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Yeah Trump raped a staff member while in the Senate and it took the fake news NYT 19 days to publish a story, which they then changed when Biden's camp got made. Left win news is pablum for the feeble minded and the frightened.
  • Clubber
    4 years ago
    I've learned one thing in these times, someone with TDS scares me more than does the chinese virus!
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    You guys definitely have TDS so I’m guessing y’all are scared shitless.
  • etsutwigg222
    4 years ago
    Ivanka should get billions because she is way hotter and smarter than drugged up Hunter. But even drugged up, Hunter is easier to understand than pervert Dad.
  • bkkruined
    4 years ago
    Trump wins. Too many Americans are just stoopeed. The number of people I saw in TV interviews 4 years ago say they voted for Trump cause they just wanted to rage against the machine was remarkable. Now that he's broken everything nice, I wonder how they still feel about that. Probably still don't get how fucked we are now. Combined with enough rich fuckers who just wanted their tax cut to go buy back some stocks... (good job balancing the budget, eh?) Unfortunately I think Biden's best chance it to die before the election. Maybe enough of these idiots will think it's funny to still vote for him we can get rid of Trump?
  • misterorange
    4 years ago
    For you Biden supporters, imagine this as President of the United States: [view link]
  • misterorange
    4 years ago
    PS; This was BEFORE he supposedly went senile.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion