tuscl

Massachusetts

skibum609
Massachusetts
We usually assume that words are pronounced as they are spelled, but in Massachusetts we make the rules, we don't follow them so we pronounce words, especially towns and cities words as we wish and no as theyu are spelled. For example: Quincy, birthplace of President JohnQuincy Adams is pronounced Quinnzee; Leominster is Leminstah; Haverhill is Haverill. Revere is Reveeyah. Medford is Mefid is you went to college and Meffa if you did not and Worcester is Woostah if you went to college and Wistah if you did not. Anecdotally what you call a milkshake we call a frappe, what you call a liquor store we call a packy and when a southerner calls us a yankee we assume he or she means we're yankee fans and you want us to physicallt attack you. We prize education, yet hate college sprots. We hate corporations, but kow tow to corporate professional sports teams. We;re blue state liberals who have had one Democrat as Governor in the past 30 years. It is one fucking weird place to live.

21 comments

• rickdugan
    5 years ago
    Pretty complete list. One of the only obvious thing that you missed is the rotary, which is called a turnabout or traffic circle in most other states. Then there is the yard sale, which in many other places is called garage sale. I won"t even go into what passes for Chinese food outside of MA.
  • rickdugan
    5 years ago
    Of course MA also has a Registry of Motor Vehicles when it is a DMV in pretty much every other state in the union.
  • rockie
    5 years ago
    Somebody else’s hoagie is a cheese steak sub to some of us!

Just because you’re from here (me) doesn’t mean that all my pronunciations are native. Lobstah is lobster in my words, but tomato/potato can come out interchangeably (native) or the less provincial form.
  • ime
    5 years ago
    Wicked pissah
  • crosscheck
    5 years ago
    Rick, totally agree about the Chinese Food.
  • skibum609
    5 years ago
    Keene NH has a rotary. We also have oui instead of dui and irretrievable breakdown instead of irreconcilable differences.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    5 years ago
    Slightly off topic... It's amusing when Waze or Google Maps tries to pronounce the local Native American names.
  • Muddy
    5 years ago
    Everyone I know from MA is like the same guy. All angry irish guys who are little too into sports. That being said I gotta get up there have beer with some of those dudes.
  • rickdugan
    5 years ago
    ===> "Everyone I know from MA is like the same guy. All angry irish guys who are little too into sports. "

So in other words, they have personality and show loyalty? ;)
  • rickdugan
    5 years ago
    But MA is also a very diverse state, especially in the Boston metro area, with thriving Asian, Orthodox Jew, Latino and other ethnic communities.

It is also a foodie paradise. Even small little mom and pop breakfast joints in MA turn out better food than you'll find almost anywhere else in the country. MA residents have very high baseline expectations for their grub and even basic fare like Chinese food and pizza are simply amazing compared to the slop pumped out in most areas. And the seafood is remarkable and fresh, offered even by small pubs and dive bars in coastal towns. There's is a reason why there is no Red Lobster in MA.

If it wasn't for the Nanny State politicians that they keep voting in, who seem determined to make everything harder and more expensive, it would be a great state to live in.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    5 years ago
    Everyone thinks 'Massachusetts' is just a longer word for 'Boston'...

It changes a lot once you get outside the Boston suburbs. West of Worcester is essentially "beyond the Wall".
  • SirLapdancealot
    5 years ago
    I was in MA on a business trip a couple of years ago. I had some bomb ass pizza that was on par with the best pizza I had in Italy. And yeah I concur with rickdugan that the food overall was good. And of course the worst Italian food at the North End is still the best in many other cities. I had so much good Italian food that trip.
  • ime
    5 years ago
    Santarpio's pizza is the shit.
  • rickdugan
    5 years ago
    ===> "And of course the worst Italian food at the North End is still the best in many other cities. I had so much good Italian food that trip."

Just walk up Salem or Hanover St at lunchtime and you'll still see unbelievable lunchtime specials for fantastic Italian food. Some buddies and I used to joke that they must be using these restaurants as money laundering fronts because they couldn't be making money on the food - it was just too good and too cheap. But fuck if I care how they did it.
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    The Portuguese girls though
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    5 years ago
    You'll find some pretty fantastic Italian food on Federal Hill in Providence, RI.
  • Tetradon
    5 years ago
    I second Federal Hill. Nothing like RI-style calamari at Cassarino's followed by dessert at Club Desire.
  • rickdugan
    5 years ago
    ===> "You'll find some pretty fantastic Italian food on Federal Hill in Providence, RI."

I agree with this, but Providence is really just an extended suburb of Boston anyway. There are some excellent seafood options there as well and even a couple of Chinese restaurants that are more Massachusetts style.
  • rickdugan
    5 years ago
    But then, when you head further down 95 and cross over into CT, shit goes downhill fast.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    5 years ago
    CT is horrible.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    I would agree with those folks that say Boston and Providence have some pretty good Italian food, but for an even better Italian food experience come a bit farther down I95 and hit Arthur Ave in the Bronx, Mulberry Street in Manhattan or Knapp street in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn that’s where the real Italian comes from 😀
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion