I like maple syrup!

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
A group of lawmakers has introduced a bill for the 2020 session that would decriminalize sex work in the state of Vermont.

The bill, only four pages long, would simply repeal current sex work statutes prohibiting the act. Human trafficking and the sale of sex that is coerced in any form would still be illegal under the legislation, but it would decriminalize the sale of sex between two consenting adults.

Rep. Selene Colburn, P-Burlington, said she introduced the bill primarily to protect sex workers from the risks inherent in the illicit profession. Research has shown that where sex work is criminalized, sex workers experience far higher rates of sexual and physical violence from their clients and abuse from law enforcement.

Get all of VTDigger's daily news.
You'll never miss a story with our daily headlines in your inbox.

By decriminalizing sex work, the act wouldn’t become a legal, regulated market, Colburn explained. Simply, sex work would not be illegal in the state, so charges could not be brought against a sex worker or the person paying for sex. This is a step Colburn wants to make because she doesn’t view sex work as public safety threat.

“By driving sex work underground, we’re creating much more dangerous conditions for sex workers,” Colburn said. “They should feel like they have the protection of police if they need it.”

The bill is also being sponsored by Rep. Diana Gonzalez, P-Winooski; Rep. Maxine Grad, D-Moretown; and Rep. Emilie Kornheiser, D-Brattleboro. It will be heading to the House Judiciary Committee for review.

Colburn said the bill will be considered in tandem with H.568, also newly introduced and sponsored by Colburn, that would give immunity to those who witnessed a crime while involved in sex work or human trafficking. This bill would also create a Sex Work Study Committee to further modernize the state’s sex work laws.

While conversations about decriminalizing sex work in the United States are picking up steam, only some states have introduced legislation considering the idea.

If passed, Vermont would become the first state in the nation to decriminalize sex work. Nevada is the only state in the nation where a few counties have legalized sex work.

14 comments

• Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    Hopefully some state will soon decriminalize prostitution and get the ball rolling where more states follow.

My concern would be if government overly poked their noses and maybe overly-taxed the endeavor but it still should be better than the BS we have now.
  • skibum609
    5 years ago
    So Vermont. No strip clubs but prostituion will be ok.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Alright Vermont.

Right now it is strip club challenged.

SJG
  • Electronman
    5 years ago
    An important step forward from my perspective. The issue should be about consent or lack thereof, not about the exchange of money or other valuable items. Most sex liaisons involve some exchange of valuable items or services (e.g., promises of love and support, shelter, dinner and a movie, or cash!). so make that legal and take the criminal element out of this market so that women who choose to sell sexual services can do so safely.

• jackslash
    5 years ago
    Just wait. A coalition of conservative bible-thumpers and liberal do-gooders will defeat this proposal.
  • georgmicrodong
    5 years ago
    De-criminalization is definitely the way to go, rather than legalized and regulated. At least from a free market standpoint.
  • CostaTheCrazyGreek
    5 years ago
    @jackslash
    ...of course. It's "bad for business" to make marriages more obsolete. Since IMHO most marriages are de facto "shot gun marriages" anyways. If it was up to me "common law" marriage would be legal in all 50 states.
  • Clubber
    5 years ago
    sc,

Kind of a slippery slope here. It could be considered political, don't you think?
  • shadowcat
    5 years ago
    Clubber - Maybe but Trump didn't do it. :)
  • MackTruck
    5 years ago
    Where is the maple syrup. My pancakes are dry
  • Muddy
    5 years ago
    Thank God, Vermont is such SC hotspot
  • Clubber
    5 years ago
    sc,

Good point! TDS.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    5 years ago
    Well, I have friends in Vermont. I could certainly visit them more often.
  • skibum609
    5 years ago
    Bitches, Dogshit, Scum, i.e progressives.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion