tuscl

No Ukuleles!

reverendhornibastard
Depraved Deacon of Degeneracy
A few weeks ago while we were In far West Texas, we ate dinner at Jett’s Grill in Marfa’s Hotel Paisano. They serve up fantastic food and great margaritas. If you’re within 70 miles of Marfa and hankering for dinner, I highly recommend Jett’s Grill.

Later we drove to the viewing stand east of town to see the famous Marfa lights.

When we arrived I had an urgent need to pee (too many margaritas). My 10-year old daughter helpfully pointed out the men’s room for me.

I waltzed in but immediately turned around and came back out. It was obviously not the men’s room.

I told my daughter, “That’s not the men’s room!”

She asked, “How do you know it’s not the men’s room? Oh, ... is it because there were there no ukuleles on the wall?”

“Ukuleles? Why would there be any ukuleles on the wall in the men’s room?”

“I thought the men’s rooms all had ukuleles on the wall where the men pee.”

“You mean urinals?”

“Oh! I thought they were called ukuleles!”

Soon afterwards I found a bathroom with ukuleles on the wall.

Thank god for public ukuleles!

https://www.tuscl.net/photo.php?id=2248

14 comments

• twentyfive
    5 years ago
    Children bless us and keep us young that brings a smile just remembering my own at those young age, but they grow up too fast.
  • Warrior15
    5 years ago
    25- Are you talking about the Reverend in that statement ?
  • Musterd21
    5 years ago
    lol
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ I just remember how my babies were when they were growing up it was something wonderful, I’m guessing that the Rev is a bit older than the average dad of small children so he has the capacity to derive great joy from small children.
  • FishHawk
    5 years ago
    Kids say the most interesting things. As a ukulele player I chuckled at the image. Ukuleles come in many sizes from tiny little sub sopranos to almost guitar sized super Baritones. It the smaller size you would have to practice your aim or you would end up making a mess.
  • ATACdawg
    5 years ago
    Some would say that the sound of ukes playing would be improved by filling them with piss!

I long since got rid of that prejudice; it started when I was just out of college and my workplace piped in Musak, the most annoying of which was the very bad Hawaian tunes that played from the speaker right above my seat.....

I used to plot how I would sneak in one night and cut the wires. 😉
  • herbtcat
    5 years ago
    I've never seen a ukulele I didn't want to piss on.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    reverend, that area, near Alpine I believe, where Sul Ross Texas State University is. What is that like?

Overall, not many people there, towns on map are just water stations for steam locomotives?

Ever go to Ojinaga Mexico?

SJG
  • reverendhornibastard
    5 years ago
    SJG,

Far West Texas (basically all of Texas west of the Pecos River) is dry, desolate and harsh.

Much of it is inhospitable.

There are some mountains but they are smaller and more desolate than what you would see in Colorado or California.

Still, some people find beauty in this desolation. There certainly are interesting places to see and explore.

But those who like what West Texas has to offer will find more varied and interesting landscapes in Arizona, Colorado, Utah and the more sparsely populated parts of California.
  • reverendhornibastard
    5 years ago
    ... and have been to Presidio but never crossed over the border at Presidio to Ojinaga.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Yes, that comes across. And no strip clubs in Pecos.

Not many people, and I suspect not much water either.

SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    I remember that there is a Jaguar's in Odessa, what is that like?

And then in NM Artesia, a place where the name has changed, 285 Show Club, Artesia.

And then ever cross from TX to El Porvenir Mexico? Hooker bars, House of dates?

And then Desiree, San Angelo Texas?

SJG
  • reverendhornibastard
    5 years ago
    Except for one strip club in Odessa, Texas in the 1970s (whose name I cant recall and which probably closed down decades ago), I’ve never been to any strip clubs in West Texas or anywhere in Mexico.

With the oil shale boom going on in parts of West Texas I bet there are lots of strip clubs out there now. But I am the wrong person to ask about them. I am unfamiliar with the strip club scene in West Texas.

My only forays into that part of Texas in decades have been recent trips with my family.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Two are actually listed today in Odessa.

Seems like the driving distances are very high, in West Texas, very few people, very few strip clubs, even less AMPs. But still encouraging things like all the campuses of Sul Ross University.

Lawrence Sullivan Ross, Texas Ranger, Confederate Brigadier, Texas Governor, President of one of their most famous universities.

Thanks for the info, and that is good that you are spending time with your family.

The idea that the country should be crossed close to the Mexican Border I got from Ryan Bowen, who rode from LA to DC, Dec and Jan, to be at the Obama Inauguration. Rode between north and south on the coasts, otherwise right on the border. Some people call NOLA, to San Antonio, to Yuma, The Second Transcontinental Railroad. Warmer than the first one. So all the water stations in Texas.

https://www.bikingbis.com/2008/12/19/bik…

SJG
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion