tuscl

Overnight parking

Since 1963 ...
Friday, July 19, 2019 2:50 AM
Thinking of going to TJ tomorrow and, for the first time, staying in Mexico overnight. I’ve been a dozen times or more and I usually park behind the Jack in the Box or if it’s an afternoon visit and I’m not planning to be late I’ll park at the mall.

I have also parked at the train station upstream a couple stops and ridden the trolley in to the old crossing. But again, never left my car overnight there, not sure if that’s even allowed but it doesn’t seem too secure.

Does anyone have any suggestion/recommendation on where to park overnight and what that costs?

17 comments

• Jascoi
    5 years ago
    I do the trolley stop parking a lot. i’ve had not one single problem parking for four nights in five days. driving into Tijuana is ok and there’s two local parking lots close to hong kong that they own that you can get validated parking with a VIP card but the problem is is the border... getting back into the USA (unless you have Centry or global entry) can take hours ... i’ll stick to my present pattern of parking at a free trolley parking lot.
  • Jascoi
    5 years ago
    by the way... I don’t recommend driving a nice expensive car down into Tijuana or even to park in the border parking lots. I want to keep a low profile.
  • TJ Lee
    5 years ago
    There're many parkings around Jack in the box not just one. Trolley station Palm Ave in Imperial Beach is good. And valet from HK/Cas is free.
    5 years ago
    thanks for this

I did not know that the nearby lots offered overnight (or 24 hr rates). Any idea what that rate is?
  • Jascoi
    5 years ago
    too much. for my present pattern of two and three days i would be spending money better spent on an arriba.
    5 years ago
    If anyone wants to know, on the weekend I t’s $18 per each 12 hours in a lit up supervised lot. Weekdays it’s less than half that.

I had my first two arribas pay it by offering them $20 off each.

Plus it’s way less hassle being 100 yards from the crossing.
  • DeclineToState
    5 years ago
    Late last year when I went, the big parking lot near PedWest that is called "Border Station" parking (last freeway exit, turn right then right again into lot), the cost on a weekend was: $6/hour with following maximums: $18 per 12 hours and $36 per 24 hours. I cleared out interior of car before parking and car was untouched when I returned. Of this lot, tuscl user has said: "The parking lot near PedWest is probably the most secure if you’re concerned about your car. The rear portion of the lot is dedicated to CBP officers personal cars. They have a secure well lit lot with uniformed, armed law enforcement walking thru all the time."

Of the Jack in the Box parking, tuscl user Liwet has said: "The Jack in the Box parking lot is 24 hours, $12 per 8 hours Friday through Sunday and $8 per 8 hours all other times."
  • Jascoi
    5 years ago
    i spend $2.50 for parking 5 days at a trolley parking lot. so far so good.
  • Jascoi
    5 years ago
    (for you young studs it be $5.)
  • Jascoi
    5 years ago
    Keep a low profile... an older used car that’s worn. keep the seats clean of things except for a charging cord with obviously no phone attached.
  • TJ Lee
    5 years ago
    Are you sure you can park at the trolley station more than 3 days w/o getting a ticket? They do check and chalk the tire.
  • Jascoi
    5 years ago
    I do not recommend beyer Avenue nor Isis anymore. the lots are just too small for the amount of cars that they have parked there.
    5 years ago
    FYI the trolley web site says no more than 24 hours in one spot. Not sure what happens after that but arriving on a late train to find you car towed would suck a lot of the fun out of a TJ trip, all to try and save a few bucks. I’m willing to bet that the towing, impound and possible damage would easily eat any savings.
  • Liwet
    5 years ago
    The cost of the Jack-in-the-Box parking lot is $8 for 8 hours except on weekends where it's $12 for 8 hours.
    5 years ago
    Only problem with the Jack-in-the-box lot is that it was full and access was total grid-lock. Ten cars lined up waiting for someone to leave.

I would have parked there to save the $10 or so, but I couldn't get in or even near it.
  • JAprufrock
    5 years ago
    Are there cheaper options at San Diego Airport. I know in Detroit I park long-term for $10 a day at Airlines Parking ($12 without coupon). If San Diego has something in that price range I’d park at the airport and take the trolley down for $2.50.
  • TJ Lee
    5 years ago
    There're 4 lots arround Jack, 24hrs and priced similar. I've parked at trolley station on the front line next to the taxi spots for 2 full days w/o ticket. Palm Ave station can hold about 200 cars, 10 mins from border.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion