tuscl

I think they would

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)
Nancy Pelosi warns GOP that a Democratic president could declare gun violence a national emergency

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi warned Republicans on Thursday that a future Democratic president could declare gun violence a national emergency.

Her comments to reporters came shortly after the White House said that the president would declare a national emergency in order to "build the wall, protect the border, and secure our great country."

Pelosi said she was not advocating for Democrats to declare a national emergency, but that the president was establishing a precedent that should, at least, make Republicans nervous.

"If the president can declare an emergency on something he has created as an emergency, an illusion that he wants to convey, just think about what a president with different values can present to the American people," Pelosi said.

"You want to talk about a national emergency? Let's talk about today," Pelosi said, referring to the Feb. 14 school shooting in Parkland, Fla. that left seventeen dead last year.

She said the shooting was "another manifestation of the epidemic of gun violence in America."

"That's a national emergency. Why don't you declare that a emergency Mr. President? I wish you would," she said. "But a Democratic president can do that. A Democratic president can declare emergencies as well."

Sen. Kamala Harris, who is running for president, echoed her fellow Californian's remarks in a post on Twitter, but stopped short of saying she would as president declare a national emergency.

"Declaring a national emergency over this President's vanity project is ridiculous," Harris he wrote. "We don't need a wall. Instead, we should address the actual emergencies facing our country — everything from gun violence to the opioid crisis."

Sen. Elizabeth Warren, another 2020 contender, wrote on Twitter that gun violence, climate change, and the country's opioid epidemic were all emergencies.

"Donald Trump's ridiculous wall is not an emergency," the Massachusetts Democrat wrote.

A national emergency declaration makes available powers to the executive that are otherwise impermissible, such as the re-allocation of certain funds that have been appropriated by Congress, though scholars continue to dispute the legality of emergency powers.

White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders downplayed the possible ramifications of Trump's expected national emergency declaration.

"Let's hope we don't have additional national security and humanitarian crises," she said.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/14/pelosi-w…

50 comments

• Muddy
    6 years ago
    I don’t want to hear from Kamala Harris. Wants to completely get rid of insurance and have universal healthcare for all. the calculator guy in background is going uhhhhh we can’t afford that you fucking idiot.
  • Nidan111
    6 years ago
    Yep. Let’s declare gun violence a national emergency. Try and confiscate all the guns. THEN, we will have a true emergency. I believe it would be called a REVOLUTIONARY WAR! History repeats itself when dumbfucks don’t understand the significance of such.
  • Hank Moody
    6 years ago
    So, muddy and nidan, you are saying trump should NOT declare a national emergency over the wall because you don’t want future democratic presidents to have the same authority?
  • Subraman
    6 years ago
    Pelosi's making an important -- and good -- point. Declaring a national emergency should be reserved for national emergencies. While immigration is an issue for me, there's no actual emergency that would justify a declaration to build a wall. What mischief the democrats might get into doesn't even need to factor in -- although that's pretty terrifying to contemplate, also, and provides further motivation to stick to the law as intended.
  • Nidan111
    6 years ago
    I think that our Congress needs to stop playing bullshit and just get something done. We definitely have a problem. I Don know if it is an emergency because the only thing that has hit me personally from the border shit is drug abuse/heroin/death. I hate illegal drugs. It brings in bad people who don’t give two shits who dies. Part of that is likely our own government making too much money off those same drugs. Build the wall and a lot of that drug traffick MIGHT STOP. MIGHT. Make drugs legal and the trafficking WILL STOP. To answer your question, no I do not like it when any president makes a decision without the support of the proper folks. However, the Democrats will still declare emergency regardless of what Trump dies
  • Nidan111
    6 years ago
    Dies = does.
  • Hank Moody
    6 years ago
    “I think that our Congress needs to stop playing bullshit and just get something done.”

Like work for three weeks on a bill that overwhelmingly passes both houses of Congress and addresses the issue? While you may not like the outcome, this is what coequal branches of government looks like. McConnell doesn’t like what is going on because he’ll likely be Speaker long after trump is gone and have to deal with it.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    I think Trump needs to go on a diet, that would be a national emergency because KFC and Burger King would go out of business;)
  • Htxx
    6 years ago
    They’d be making a serious mistake trying to come take away guns from people
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    Clinton's people, though not talking about a National Emergency, were talking about treating hand gun violence as a public health problem. I think that is strongly warranted.

SJG
  • skibum609
    6 years ago
    Guns are a Copnstitutionally protected right and the Constitution exists to prevent the Government fromdoing what Pelosi suggests. Just one more step to a civil war. My wife is laughing as I type this, but tommorrow I am going to do something I have been against my whole life: I am applying for a concealed carry permit.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    ^^^^^^^^^ Don't use Vaseline to jerk off, getting it onto you piece and your cock at the same time. Otherwise you might shoot yourself in the foot. It could be even worse.

SJG
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    Truth be told, elections have consequences, the Republicans have been dragging their feet on this wall bullshit, for the last two years, seems they (the Republicans) aren't sold on a wall themselves, I mean honestly speaking, he lost the midterm election, if he wants to declare this to be an emergency, why wasn't it an emergency two years ago, when he was elected. My own feeling is Paul Ryan didn't want to be involved in the politics, of the wall (and probably never supported it in his heart) so he kept kicking the can down the road. Now there's been a shutdown, and that is another fight this president has lost badly. Trump's leverage has dropped considerably, and someone needs to educate this man on the realities of the consequences of elections. I don't believe that the wall itself is important to Trump, I think he just is keeping these controversies stirred up, because that's the only thing he has to keep him in the running for the 2020 election.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    The wall was a horrible idea from the start. Trump never expected to be President. He just wanted to be able to negotiate higher pay from his television program, "The Apprentice". Like Nikki Hailey said, he just wants to be "The loudest voice in the room."

We have ongoing immigration tensions, but no crisis, no emergency. We need immigrants. Immigrants are our friends.

SJG
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    "... the Republicans have been dragging their feet on this wall bullshit, for the last two years, seems they (the Republicans) aren't sold on a wall themselves ..."

Yeah - as I posted previously IMO a wall it's not at the top of most conservatives' agenda - I think Trump is miscalculating how much political-mileage he can get continuously playing the wall-card
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    Like many say, the far right columnists, like this Ann Coulter, have him by the balls. Or it was that way. Now it is Nancy Pelosi who has got hold of his package.

SJG
  • JamesSD
    6 years ago
    Not an emergency. Overreach of the executive branch which was started by Clinton, maybe earlier and continued by literally every president since regardless of Party.
  • gawker
    6 years ago
    Actually the number of immigrants from the south has been decreasing yearly. What’s the emergency?
  • Clubber
    6 years ago
    Problem is, most Americans think illegals ARE a problem and that guns AREN'T a problem.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    Problem is the declaration of a national emergency will negate any chance that Trump will be able to get any of his agenda through this legislature. Forget for a minute how bad of a precedent this sets and consider this, if the executive branch uses its power to revoke the consequences of an election regardless of the wishes of the electorate, we are on the road to becoming an authoritarian regime and in reality this is something Putin would pull in Russia, not something that will stand in this country.
  • skibum609
    6 years ago
    Why it's almost like he's a traitor who unilaterally decided a bunch of illegals can't be deported. That ship sailed. Illegals are dirty criminals not immigrants. Foreigners are no longer needed here.
  • RandomMember
    6 years ago
    Maybe if we state the facts another 30,000 times it will sink in: Most illegal immigrants (2/3) come here by overstaying their visas. The wall will probably have almost no impact on the other 1/3. Trump doesn't read, doesn't surround himself with competent advisers. Just bad, stupid, policy. We just blew up our deficit by another 43% (over the past year) by a tax-cut that wasn't paid for and went to just a handful of people. So why worry about another $8B?
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    6 years ago
    The Republicans will regret this when a Democratic President who has the right numbers in the House and Senate declared climate change to be a national emergency.

All that being said, I'm not sure this will survive the inevitable court challenge.
  • Musterd21
    6 years ago
    ^ski
    Get your cc and every time you get pulled over you will be asked. Are you carrying. Also know the states you meet to declare it when in conversation with a LEO.
  • Musterd21
    6 years ago
    Do we need a wall? I don’t know! But I have a fence around my house and I am not taking it down!
  • Hank Moody
    6 years ago
    Serious question to Trump fans — is this a win? Do you like that he’s going to build the wall? Not just because you trust him to do what’s right to protect the country. Not because it’s against what the demoncrats want. But is it what you want? Taking money that was supposed to go to disaster relief in brown CA and brown Puerto Rico and building a wall with it. Is this good?
  • Clubber
    6 years ago

You stated, "...if the executive branch uses its power to revoke the consequences of an election regardless of the wishes of the electorate...", yet said electorate WANTS the wall. Right now 1/6 of the federal government is preventing what the electorate want!
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^ That's false and you should know better, besides aren't you the guy that stated he believes in the constitution, lectured me on the federalist papers, I guess it only applies when it benefits your POV.
  • RandomMember
    6 years ago
    "Yet said electorate WANTS the wall"

Get your facts straight. None of the polls show majority suport.
  • JamesSD
    6 years ago
    I was listening to Trump speak this morning. Is he actually senile? Like... His thoughts were disjointed. He sounded like a rambling old man.

I'm actually scared in the same way I was when Reagan had his finger on the button and clearly had lost it.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    ^^^^^ I see it the same way you do JamesSD

SJG
  • Clubber
    6 years ago

Just what is "false", as you say?
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    False and completely incorrect
    >yet said electorate WANTS the wall. Right now 1/6 of the federal government is preventing what the electorate want!<

here is my post from before that it is accurate and correct
    >Truth be told, elections have consequences, the Republicans have been dragging their feet on this wall bullshit, for the last two years, seems they (the Republicans) aren't sold on a wall themselves, I mean honestly speaking, he lost the midterm election, if he wants to declare this to be an emergency, why wasn't it an emergency two years ago, when he was elected. My own feeling is Paul Ryan didn't want to be involved in the politics, of the wall (and probably never supported it in his heart) so he kept kicking the can down the road. Now there's been a shutdown, and that is another fight this president has lost badly. Trump's leverage has dropped considerably, and someone needs to educate this man on the realities of the consequences of elections. I don't believe that the wall itself is important to Trump, I think he just is keeping these controversies stirred up, because that's the only thing he has to keep him in the running for the 2020 election.<

@clubber they had two tears of a republican house and senate, if the electorate wanted the wall why did they kick the can down the road every time it came up.
  • gammanu95
    6 years ago
    Two words for the DNC: Molon Labe.
  • Clubber
    6 years ago

I know you know that President Trump has a number of foils. First and foremost in this discussion, RINOs. This dosen't discount dems and the deep state.
    My point is that "BUILD THAT WALL" was a central part of the campaign that allowed him to win an "unwinnable" election and put him in the White House.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^@Clubber my friend we are entitled to our own opinions, mine is the Trumpians are the RINOs, and are not conservative at all, but facts are stubborn things, we have seen time and time again, that this president, just keeps creating one crisis after another to distract guys like you who voted for him from noticing the facts, up until now it's been working unevenly, his support is failing, and there are some diehards that will go down with the ship, refusing to believe the the main compartments are flooded and the ship is listing badly, even towards the end, Nixon, had a few supporters, but it's fairly obvious to anyone the wall is done, finished, he hasn't built one inch,and he's not going to.
    His support is failing damn man even Ann Coulter is facing reality, yesterday afternoon, when that rambling senile presser he held, was over said "The only national emergency is the president is an idiot"
  • Hank Moody
    6 years ago
    To be fair, I think both parties are facing crises of alignment. The Dems have to deal with Bernie and now AOC, Omar and the way left. So far, they’ve been able to hold them together but unity is a bit easier when you are the minority or have less power. It will be interesting to see how unified they stay now that they have the House and what happens after 2020.

The R’s got a fair bit passed when they controlled Congress, the White House and had a balanced Court. But the fractures are starting to show now especially between McConnell and Trump where they went different directions on the shutdown, and the declaration of the emergency.

Can the president and senate adapt to having to reach across the aisle or will they stay entrenched for two years with the 2020 elections being the only objective?
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    @Jimmy McNulty, the point of this exchange was the Republicans don't really want a wall, they had two years and it didn't happen, there's more resistance to the Trumpians than anyone is admitting.
  • Hank Moody
    6 years ago
    25 - yeah I agree. I was on a tangent as the discussion seemed to be moving.

I’m surprised trump went with the emergency. When he shut down the government immediately after the R’s lost the house I thought he was merely trying to paint the Dems as the enemy again. As in, “the Dems are to blame for this” even though he couldn’t have gotten it passed while R’s had the House. I thought he wanted to take the loss on this since his base wouldn’t blame him. I’m surprised he’s continued to push but it seems clear he’s doing what Hannity and Coulter are telling him. Ironically, this may be the beginning of losing McConnell who I thought quietly came out of the budget as showing he is the one who is really controlling the government.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^ He(Trump) is losing support rapidly, and falling back on tactics that worked in the past, it’s unfortunate that he’s a one trick pony, he’s been a con man his whole life,now more than ever he’s flailing wildly, I don’t think he’s thought this through he is to unstable, and disinterested.
  • Hank Moody
    6 years ago
    I think he’s shortsighted. Not unsurprisingly since he’s only ever had to answer to himself. I only made it through two chapters of The Art of the Deal but his “ask for the moon, sun and stars and then take the moon as a compromise” style of negotiating doesn’t work when the world is watching instead of just his family, who all have to believe him when he says he won. Contrast that style to McConnell who because of his long time in public service thinks long term. McConnell made radical moves with long term effect (not presenting Garland for confirmation, changing 60 vote rule for SCOTUS confirmations) but the gains for the R’s were also long term as it will change the balance of the court, especially if RBG winds up not making it to 2020. McConnell is much more reluctant to do short term damage like the emergency declaration which could put a lot of power in the presidency. I think he would’ve challenged trump on this and the only reason he is letting the Dems file the challenges is because he knew if he did it, it would severely break the R party. Interesting times.
  • Hank Moody
    6 years ago
    One correction, McConnell wouldn’t need to “file” a challenge to the emergency declaration. He’d just need to tell the Ds he was putting it to a vote and with bipartisan support they’d just pass a resolution and override the veto. But again, it would pit the R senate against trump and McConnell isn’t willing to go that far. At this time.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    ^^^^^ "McConnell doesn’t like what is going on because he’ll likely be Speaker long after trump is gone and have to deal with it."

Did I miss something? Is the Speaker now a position in the Senate or is McConnell now a Representative?
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    6 years ago
    I assumed he meant "senator".
  • Clubber
    6 years ago

Once again you failed to point out what was "false". From you, "False and completely incorrect
    >yet said electorate WANTS the wall. Right now 1/6 of the federal government is preventing what the electorate want!<"

Did I miss some recount that the electorate didn't elect President Trump? Did I miss something about the 1/6?

Yes, we are entitled to our own opinions, but you are NOT entitled to your own facts. I will consider this conversation ended unless you can refute what I just asked.
  • minnow
    6 years ago
    The wall became a "national emergency" only when the Republicans don't control both houses of Congress. Why wasn't this issue a national emergency in 2017 - 2018 ? Has there been a radical uptick in illegal immigration in 2019 versus 2017 - 2018 ? Nope, just a change in the majority party of one house.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    ^^^^^^ I agree here with minnow

SJG

Nuit Blanche - Cyrille Aimée Live at Birdland
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPVbz9vb…
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    @Clubber what electorate, that’s a stupid idea the electorate from 2017 or 2018, stop playing stupid you know very well what’s not true, Who’s this mythical electorate that wants a wall, that’s a manufactured bullshit line, there’s no majority anyplace that wants any fucking wall. There’s a few idiots that think everyone else is stupid I’m done with this debate it’s a waste of time since facts don’t seem to matter to Trumps supporters.
  • Clubber
    6 years ago

Are you really this clueless or just messin' around? In case it's the former, but I hope not, let me start with this. Definition of Electorate by Merriam-Webster :
    a body of people entitled to vote. That's pretty simple. Reaching back to November 8, 2016, said electorate Constitutionally elected Donald John Trump the president of these United States. I wish they were! THIS IS TRUE, like it or not! Now even the most uninformed know that THE WALL was a center piece of President Trump campaign and his appeal. Now with a little logic, one can easily see that it is you who seems is in position of a "stupid idea". Man says what he will do, people (the electorate), ELECT him to do so, and you can't figure this oout? Really, you are embarrassing yourself. I'll let this die to spare you further embarrassment. Take care, my friend!
  • Hank Moody
    6 years ago
    @Flag and CME - yeah I fucked that up. I meant speaker and I was wrong. Senate maj leader. McConnell will likely be in office longer than trump and has a longer outlook.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion