tuscl

OT: Smartphone location

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)
Got a different smartphone not too long ago but the location feature keeps turning on - I turn it off and check a while later and it's turned back-on again no matter how many times I turn it off.

From what I remember I've only downloaded 3 apps (Uber; Lyft; Whatsapp) - i.e. I'm thinking perhaps one of those apps keeps turning it on and it's annoying the f*** out of me; but I'm not sure if its an app.

Has anyone had this issue?

23 comments

• Musterd21
    6 years ago
    Get an old flip phone!
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    ^ thanks - that's a hell of a solution - IDK why I didn't think of that - I assume you work for customer service
  • aham5
    6 years ago
    Use fake GPS app when at the club
  • trickystick
    6 years ago
    It's probably the Uber app. I stopped using it a year ago because it tracks your location even when you aren't in the app. Lyft doesn't.
  • georgmicrodong
    6 years ago
    You should be able to turn location services off globally and then prevent apps from turning it back on. At least on iPhone.

I don’t know about android.
  • TFP
    6 years ago
    You can do it on Android also. If it really is Uber that keeps turning it on, go into the apps under settings. You can edit the permissions of each app. Just turn off location permissions for the uber app. Of course you'll have to turn it back on when you actually use that app.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    You guys are badasses

Have an Android - clicking on the location setting opens a location screen with various location settings/options one of them called "App level permissions" - clicking on "App level permissions" showed which apps had location enabled by default - didn't see a global setting although there can be one somewhere so just went ahead an turned off one by one all the apps that had location on by default - can't recall all the ones that had it but the following I think had location on by default:

+ camera app (IDK why)
    + Chrome
    + Google
    + Maps
    + Lyft
    + Uber

IDK which one was the offending app or if it was multiple apps - I guess I can check one by one but rather leave them all off for now and then just turn on location when I need it.

Gracias amigos
  • woodstock
    6 years ago
    Papi, camera app has location permissions so that photos can be geolocation-tagged automagically. I've stopped using Uber completely and rely on Lyft instead, unless I'm in Austin, when I use Ride Austin.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    ^ interesting - thanks
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    @wood

What is the reason(s) you stopped using Uber completely?
  • georgmicrodong
    6 years ago
    If he’s like me, it’s the shitty business practices, privacy violations, and driver screwing.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    ^ so Lyft is different/better?
  • MackTruck
    6 years ago
    Get a rubber hammer
  • MackTruck
    6 years ago
    Whack the crap out of that phone
  • MackTruck
    6 years ago
    It will turn off for sure
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    Shit - the damn location is still turning on - disabling the apps didn't work - IDK WTH is going-on; I didn't have this issue w/ my other smartphone (if I turned off location it would stay turned off) - guess I'm gonna have to dig into the user manual.
  • Huntsman
    6 years ago
    ^Papi, do they still come with user manuals?
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    ^ one can usually find a user manual online
  • Huntsman
    6 years ago
    Good. I would’ve been pissed if you actually had a traditional instruction manual because then I was ripped off last time I upgraded. :)
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    ^ many things seem to not be coming w/ printed manuals these days and one has to go online - which is probably a better way to do it more than just saving $$$ on printing so many manuals.
  • londonguy
    6 years ago
    Look up some youtube videos for it?
  • Dominic77
    6 years ago
    Uber and McD’s apps are the only two apps I allow location services for, and only while they are running, and because the app doesn’t work without it. The ONLY two.

The McD’s app lets you get a premium sandwich once a day for a $1. (Big Mac, quarter pounder, etc.). I don’t use it often but I like frugality. Ditto for Uber.
  • jackslash
    6 years ago
    Don't turn off location services. Those big booty hoes need to be able to find you.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion