tuscl

OT: Best musical artist of all time

larryfisherman
California
Saturday, September 8, 2018 6:50 PM
Being as unbiased as you can (of course there is going to be some bias), who gets your vote of best musical artist of all time? If you can’t limit it to one, who is in your Mt. Rushmore? (Top 3 or 4). This encompasses all genres of music, not just one genre. I’m gonna go with Michael Jackson. It’s pretty tough to beat when you can say you have the songs: Thriller, Billie Jean, Man in the Mirror, Bad, Beat It, Smooth Criminal, Black or White etc etc etc. The Eagles and The Beatles are in the Mt. Rushmore. What do you say?

63 comments

• ime
    6 years ago
    the Eagles fuck off no way
  • ime
    6 years ago
    [view link] Joe Walsh is kind of cool though
  • Jascoi
    6 years ago
    Boston?
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    Juice
  • ime
    6 years ago
    if I had to pick four that I like and think are important I would go Beatles, Black Sabbath, The Clash, Jimmy Hendrix Beatles have to have them Black Sabbath birth of heavy music The Clash seminal punk band Sex Pistols and Ramones could be close but the Clash were more versatile. Hendrix - no one played guitar like him Honorable Mention - Run DMC they really seemed to bring hip hop to the mainstream a lot in part walk this way AC/DC all their songs may sound the same but it is a good song Iggy Pop Black Flag I would do a whole other set for punk rock
  • shailynn
    6 years ago
    Beatles yes, no way in hell the Eagles. I'm up for an argument with Michael. He was groundbreaking, but he didn't write his own shit. He released as much garbage later in his career as he did hits earlier. At least the Beatles wrote their own shit. If you're looking for ideas, I don't think anyone has a valid argument is their band is not on this list: [view link]
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    Nobody has a vote for The Rolling Stones, dayumn
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    Perry Como Andy Williams Engelbert Humperdinck Bing Crosby
  • Jascoi
    6 years ago
    Boston?
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    I had to add Bing Crosby to get an oldie on the list.
  • ime
    6 years ago
    Boston - no, why would you even ask.
  • Jascoi
    6 years ago
    nice harmony. beach boyz too.
  • shailynn
    6 years ago
    Boston? Doesn't their albums only come on 8-tracks? I don't think I've ever seen a Boston CD. It's there a landfill somewhere full of unopened Boston 8-Track Albums?
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    Although I’ll have to admit the Stones would look pretty ugly on MT Rushmore;)
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    Vocally, Whitney Houston. If she had laid off the drugs she would've been even more of a legend. Based off influence as well as music, I'd add The Beatles and Michael Jackson. Hard to narrow down, as there are so many greats from decades ago as well as so many who died young.
  • ime
    6 years ago
    it is impossible to pick 3 or 4 for all of music, mine were just pretty much rock since 1960's but it leaves out lots of stuff like BB King,Sam Cooke, Ray Charles, Desmond Dekker, impossible question.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    Honestly, for music I just know what I like. Anything I would write on this subject would just be pure BS, and I don't do that.
  • jackslash
    6 years ago
    Bob Dylan Janis Joplin The Doors
  • clubdude
    6 years ago
    The Plasmatic.
  • Electronman
    6 years ago
    Dylan Beatles Stones
  • ime
    6 years ago
    Dylan songs are always better when played by someone else.
  • sshrfrsky
    6 years ago
    To me the greats are able to sound amazing both recorded and live. Tool in my limited experience with them live would be my choice.
  • jackslash
    6 years ago
    IME, with all due respect you are fucking wrong. Dylan's versions are always better, with the exception of Jimi Hendrix's version of All Along the Watchtower: [view link] No one can sing a Dylan song like Dylan. Yes, his voice is rough but it conveys the feeling. Take Mr Tamborine Man: [view link]
  • ime
    6 years ago
    With all due respect I am right as it's my fucking opinion. Just was never that big of a Dylan fan, I appreciate his place in rock history.
  • founder
    6 years ago
    Band: Rolling Stones Singer songwriter: Jim Croce
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    "Janis Joplin" One of the many greats who died young. She was also one of many who died at 27 (along with Morrison). Me and Bobby McGee was the first song I taught myself on guitar. :)
  • nicespice
    6 years ago
    “Friday” by Rebecca Black.
  • jackslash
    6 years ago
    Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison and Jimi Hendrix all died at 27 between the years 1969 and 1971. I saw The Doors in concert. It must have been 1968.
  • Huntsman
    6 years ago
    Flag forgot to mention Lawrence Welk. And the Lemon sisters. He’s slipping.
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    "Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison and Jimi Hendrix all died at 27 between the years 1969 and 1971" I know. My dad taught me about all of them. Although his favorite artist of all time is Bob Dylan. I got to know about a lot of the greats because of him. And it was because of Janis Joplin that I used to sneak Southern Comfort into school and drink it after lunch hour, before theater class. I had a gorgeous Fender. I don't play anymore, because my Fender was stolen years ago. I remember the confusion I had in deciding how I wanted to play guitar, since I'm left handed. I thought of playing like Hendrix, who played his right-handed guitar upside-down. But I'm no Hendrix and that seemed confusing. Then I thought of getting a left-handed guitar, but I didn't limit myself. So I just got a normal one and found it to be easy, as the fretting is done with the left hand. I actually named that guitar "Joplin." I wonder where she ended up...
  • Huntsman
    6 years ago
    I know I’m biased for the locals but how about Prince?
  • NJBalla
    6 years ago
    Shakira
  • shadowcat
    6 years ago
    It's different for every generation. Just for information "Glenn Miller scored 23 number-one hits - more than Elvis Presley (18 No. 1s, 38 top 10s) and the Beatles (20 No. 1s, 33 top 10s) did in their careers."
  • ATACdawg
    6 years ago
    Jimmy Buffett!
  • larryfisherman
    6 years ago
    Yes The Rolling Stones are in the Mt. Rushmore. You all are aware that The Eagles created the “Hotel California album correct??
  • shadowcat
    6 years ago
    In the movie the Big Lebowski the Gipsy Kings did Hotel California. I liked it better than the Eagles.
  • Clubber
    6 years ago
    I can only say I was able to see in person, 3 of the greatest of all time. Bo Diddley, Chuck Berry, and Little Richard. More current AC/DC and the Stones. These days, can't think of any.
  • SirLapdancealot
    6 years ago
    @larryfisherman I can't argue with Michael Jackson when you throw in his Jackson Five days. He was their darling. Such a talent at such a young age. And then the Beatles and their longevity and diversity over the years makes a lot of sense too. But then if you include Michael then I don't see how you can leave out Prince. And if you include the Beatles then to me U2 belongs in the same convo as them. So to me Prince (and trust me he's not my personal favorite) is #1 because he was overall the most talented at music as a whole. He could sing, play numerous instruments (a virtuoso on piano and electric guitar), write lyrics, compose, produce, and edit music. His music was diverse too. Plus he understood the theatrical production of it and could perform. Also he was a promoter of other musicians. I don't know any other musician that I was so good at so many facets of it. So to me Prince is #1. As far as greatest bands I say U2, Led Zeppelin, and the Beatles close out my Mt. Rushmore with Prince. All three of these bands consistently produced hit after hit but also were both musically diverse while also being true to a sound that defined them. For example the Beatles had hits from bubble gum pop (like Penny Lane) to trippy drug music like Lucy in the Sky. U2 was alternative rock before it was called that with Gloria but also could do big stadium rock like It's a Beautiful Day. And last but not least Led Zeppelin had folk type hits like Battle of Evermore and epic ballads like Stairway to Heaven. But still these bands had a sound of their own and they had longevity. My highly biased and personal Mt. Rushmore would include Suicidal Tendencies, Tool, Tupac Shakur, Cocteau Twins, and Heather Nova
  • Jascoi
    6 years ago
    abba.
  • tumblingdice
    6 years ago
    Next Position Please ft. Rockstar666 and P-Nemesis. Founder,check out This Ain't No Tribute,The Rolling Stones Paint It Blue.
  • TFP
    6 years ago
    Fucking nicespice LMAO Rebecca Black. I hated how all my friends told me I looked like the black dude who rapped in that video. Only because we both squint when we talk.
  • Electronman
    6 years ago
    NinaBambina: Joplin was great and her version of Me and Bobby McGee is my personal favorite. However, that song was written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster. For me, you need to write and perform music to make my list of Greatest Musical Artists. The females at the top of my personal list are Carol King and Joni MItchell, both great song writers and performers but unlikely to make most lists unless you like folk or folk rock.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    Haven’t heard any votes for The Who up there with The Stones, a lot of great music there and great performances live not like most of these studio bands a lot of you guys seem to like.
  • Jascoi
    6 years ago
    moody blues? deep purple? blue oyster cult? pitbull? julio iglesias? enrique?
  • Mate27
    6 years ago
    Elvis The Who Fleetwood Mac
  • rattdog
    6 years ago
    only a couple of mentions of the rolling stones. i can see that. lots of people actually really hate this band. no mention of van halen? the police? queen? damn
  • magicrat
    6 years ago
    I can't say it any better than Sirlapdancealot.....gotta be Prince
  • ime
    6 years ago
    Lynyrd Skynyrd were pretty famn good. Creedence Clearwater Revival The Band
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    "NinaBambina: Joplin was great and her version of Me and Bobby McGee is my personal favorite. However, that song was written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster." Electronman - I am aware of this. Like I said earlier, my dad taught me everything about these people. I knew that she didn't write it, she just OWNED it. That's how amazing she was. You think of Me and Bobby McGee and you automatically think of Janis. And I didn't put Janis Joplin on my list of the best of all time. That was Jackslash. I did, however, say that there are many people who died young (specifically many who died at 27), and with Janis being in that group, she would have done so much more if she hadn't tragically died like so many other greats. So while I did not put her on my list, there's a special place in my heart for her. She brought so much soul into everything she sang and to everything she did. I think my dad first started teaching me about her when I was 14 or so. I'd love to have some SoCo and share a blunt with mid-20s, alive, Janis. That's why I named my guitar after her. :)
  • larryfisherman
    6 years ago
    @sirlapdance- as far as most talented musicians ever I agree with you on Prince. @MisterWonderful- Lmao My main requirements for best musical artist ever: longevity, classic albums, impact/influence
  • IceyLoco
    6 years ago
    Biggie Nas Tupac Brenton Wood Nina Simone
  • SirLapdancealot
    6 years ago
    I have a huge bias for divas and Janis is in my Mt. Rushmore of them. @NinaBambina to me when you listen to Janis you can "feel" the soul of a woman in her passion better than any other (although there are many that come close). She can put a chill down my spine with some of her more passionate lines in songs (One Good Man and Piece of My Heart come to mind).
  • Pizza (hiatus)
    6 years ago
    Kanye West, and he keeps getting better. [view link]
  • SirLapdancealot
    6 years ago
    @larryfisherman based on your criteria it is hard to argue against Michael Jackson being #1. The world-wide influence he had to me is second to none. There's a reason he's called the King of Pop. With my own criteria I had to include overall musical talent and diversity which is why Prince is #1 (hands down) even though he didn't quite have the influence and classic albums as Michael.
  • larryfisherman
    6 years ago
    @EchoPizza- hahaha, I know you’re joking. To me Kanye West is super overrated. He had ONE great album “The College Dropout” his first album, then everything else he put out wasn’t even close to that. I like hip hop the best, so I’m super biased in that genre. Biggie is a legend I think, I can’t put him in the Mt. Rushmore because he only put out two albums before he was killed, but both of those albums were classic. 2Pac on the other hand is in the top 20 of greatest musical artists ever, he died young at 25, but he put out lots of albums, had classics, had impact/influence.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    Based on the criteria you are using Frank Sinatra, and Garth Brooks belong up there talk about longevity, while I like both of them as well as country music kid rate Johnny Cash or ROY Orbison up there as well, I mean there are great artists from all genres and eras this is so subjective it’s more difficult to rank musicians than athletes or movies as the only statistic that really counts is earnings.
  • IceyLoco
    6 years ago
    Kanye is an amazing producer but sucks as a rapper.
  • SirLapdancealot
    6 years ago
    My Rap Mt. Rushmore: Tupac Shakur, Public Enemy, Slick Rick, Beastie Boys
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    No love for MC Hammer I mean yes it’s old but he was there in the beginning along with NWA
  • theDirkDiggler
    6 years ago
    The trinity or three kings: Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson and Freddie Mercury. Mt. Rushmore of bands: Queen, Led Zeppelin, The Who and The Eagles (I kno
  • theDirkDiggler
    6 years ago
    ^Oops, i meant to say only one American band made it on Rushmore. The rest were English...
  • IceyLoco
    6 years ago
    I think the best rappers are Nas Big Pun Rakim Biggie Tupac Eazy E
  • skibum609
    6 years ago
    Every musician or band named has had their music done by others. The best is so good, no one is brave enough to cover anything they've ever done. I say Pink Floyd.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion