tuscl

Lets discuss this... use of the "N" word in music.

crsm27
Minnesota
I read an article where Kendrick Lamar stopped a show because a "white" person he invited up on stage was singing along with his song and then used the "N" word. he stopped the show and told her he wasn't "cool" with it.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/kend…

Then we have the whole Lil dickey thing going on with the "freaky friday" song and the publicity it has gotten when a bunch of white girls were taped singing it and saying the "n" word. But were singing along.

Now here is my thoughts... if your an artist dont you want all people to know and sing along with the song?

I mean is this kind of a racist for the artist to only choose who they want to sing certain words... or a type of censorship?

I mean really just think about it before going off on what is "right" and "wrong" with the actual word. I know social it is horrible... but just think about it in this terms... is it right or wrong for an artist to censor there own music or does it go against what freedom of speech is meant to be?

Just food for thought and would love a civil discussion.

100 comments

• twentyfive
    6 years ago
    Just say no to this discussion! That’s an “N” word too
  • crsm27
    6 years ago
    That is very constructive...

But honestly think about it. I am not trying to start fights or anything like that. Just it is interesting is all. Since there are been numerous examples of people getting into trouble and what not just for repeating a song lyric...singing along with a song. They are not doing anything in malice or ill will. Just singing along with a song. Yet disiplinary actions have been taken.

Something to think about...
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^This is just trolling for the sake of trolling
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    That’s an interesting point. It seems a bit odd for artists to continue using lyrics in songs that they find offensive if certain other races sing their songs.

The Kendrick Lamar concert example is a useful one. When he’s writing his lyrics - and singing his songs - before performing them for a crowd - does he imagine only folks who are “allowed” to use his lyrics singing along?

There was a song a few years ago - by Jay Z and Kanye - N’s in Paris - which is an odd song title.

Maybe they aren’t writing music for everyone? But then they seem to want everyone to buy their music - to make them richer?
  • Countryman5434
    6 years ago
    Imo any song that has the n word in it isn't music!
  • Countryman5434
    6 years ago
    Rap isn't music horrible noise!
  • crsm27
    6 years ago
    cashman... that is exactly what i am talking about.

If someone finds words offensive if used by others... why say those words? or right songs about it.

OK... another example by lil dickey. I was informed by him as an artist because of the media and those girls singing the song. But at the end of one of his songs he says.... why can latin or hispanic rapers us the "n" word... it is illogical... then he does say that if he is allowed to use it, it would help his rap game and lyricly. But again he isn't throwing shade or is racist. He is just pointing out the hypocricy in all of it.

Again I totally get that a white person should never use the "n" word. But yet if they are singing along with a song written and performed by a "black" person... how is this bad. They are not using the "n" word in a deragitive way or putting anyone down. They are just repeating a song lyric sung and written by a black person.

It is like if the back in the day the back street boys said, "nope you cant sing my songs" to a 40 year old. Like they were only made for their teenage fan base.
  • GACA
    6 years ago
    I for one think it's ridiculous that white girls get in hot water for saying nigga, when they are all guzzling so much nigga dick.

That have certainly earned their "pass"

Think when corn fed country Hicks come out the closet with their own love of slobbing on the nigga knob, the N word controversy will blow it's own wad.

• crsm27
    6 years ago
    BTW... I will give K. Lamar lots of credit. He didn't completely go off on the girl. He just stopped and told her he wasnt comfortable with her singing those lyrics. Which is a cool move on his part. He also let her stay up on stage and keep singing. I mean it is his concert and his performance.

But like i mentioned it goes along with freedom of speech issue. He wants the freedom to write his lyrics and also perform them. Yet he did censor this girl.
  • Subraman
    6 years ago
    I think there's two things here.

First, the very simple thing. Not ok for non-black people to say the n-word. There's very few contexts where that's ok. So just don't fucking say it, and you won't get yourself into hot water. Just a simple, nice guideline to follow for life. Following that rule, white girl on stage should not have said it, "I was singing a song" does not trump "don't say the n-word".

With that out of the way, we can ALSO discuss "should artists say the n-word in their songs", "should Lamar have brought that white girl on stage, knowing she was singing along?" "why is the n-word always so fucking funny? I mean, I've heard it a thousand times, and it just keeps getting funnier". Etc. Those are all fine discussions to have, but the main question here was answered in my preceding paragraph.
  • Bj99
    6 years ago
    I feel bad for that girl being that postion. I wouldn’t want to say the n word, but I’d also feel like a weirdo if I didn’t. What a polarizing situation. Kinda makes me think black ppl shouldn’t say it either, if they don’t want to make ppl feel like outsiders, one way or another.

“Cunt” used to be kinda like that w women, but a buddy on here jokingly called me a cunt in a message, and it wasn’t offensive at all. There’s something ab the n word. Ppl just shouldn’t say it.
  • shailynn
    6 years ago
    SJG is a nincompoop.

Is that the N word we are talking about?

Chris Rock said it best in one of his stand ups. “White people mute the N word when they are around their black friends singing rap songs. But when they are alone you know they’re belting out that part of the song, uncensored.”

I’m probably paraphrasing but after all this is a forum about banging strippers.
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    One word used less in song lyrics than the n word is the c word. Both can be highly offensive - depending on the context and the user.
  • crsm27
    6 years ago
    Subraman.... agree 100% about not using or saying the N word. But like you mentioned in your second paragraph if an artist uses it how can it then be deemed wrong for others to repeat your song lyrics. Again I am not saying to use it out of context or anything. But to be enjoying your music, your artistry, your vision, etc... but yet it is wrong when another person sings them.

Instead of race lets use sexual orientation.... Many in the LGBT world think it is not ok to use the word "queer" or "fag" which are both derogatory. Yet some will playfully call others in that lifestyle or world those words. It is a double standard in both situations.
  • skibum609
    6 years ago
    Words can and should be used by every one or no one. The PC bullshit in this country is killing us. Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me was in vogue 50 years ago. Now everyone seeks out the littlest things possible to get their undies in a wad. Kendrick Lamar is obviously a fucking pussy. As far as the C word goes? I will call a guy I consider a pussy that word, but never a woman. I don't care if others do as long as its not in my presence and directed towards my family or friends. After all why would anyone in a white bmw risk getting keyed for saying something like that......
  • crsm27
    6 years ago
    shailynn.... I remember that Chris Rock stand up. He is correct.
  • JohnSmith69
    6 years ago
    Just more political correction bullshit. If he doesn’t want people to say a word then that word shouldn’t be in his “songs.” And he sure as fuck shouldn't call people on stage to sing the lyrics to what he passes off as music. I bet Trump will eventually have something to say about this.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    I'm not familiar with the incident, but it sounds like this was either staged or the girl was set up.

If he invites her up on stage to sing along and then gets mad and calls her out for doing just that, he's the one who is an asshole.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    This is a 3rd-rail topic where there isn't gonna be a consensus and people get emotional about (similar to politics and religion) - these types of discussions usually go downhill from wherever they start - we've had racial-issues in this country for close to 250-years and I don't think we're gonna come up w/ some novel groundbreaking ideas on a TUSCL thread.

Having said this - IMO any double-standard does not hold water - if a black teenage boy can say to his black teenage friend "hey what's up my nigga" and it'd be "ok" I think it's ridiculous to say a white teenager that's into hip-hop to not be able to express himself in the same way and be able to say to his white teenage friend "hey what's up my nigga" - no one has a right to say how another person can express themselves even less so when a person says "I can say 'X' but you can't"; especially if it's not in a derogatory context and more as part of current hiphop culture which most young people of all races are into - next thing you know they will be saying a white-person has no business being in an event that is for black people b/c it's for them and not white-people - "equality" can only be a two-way street; not only when it's beneficial - can't have your cake and eat it too.
  • skibum609
    6 years ago
    Papi google Evergreen college in washington, which currently and has in the past had events that specifically exclude white people. Its a very progressive (bigoted) "educational" institution. They even have a "no white people day". They are t he epitome of where progressives are going.
  • crsm27
    6 years ago
    Papi... I agree with you 100%... and I also agree with Skibum609... PC is ruining our country. I mean people are looking for reasons to be offended.

Papi... reason why I brought this up here is we have a diverse audience on this site... male, female, all races, etc. We on this site are opinionated, also kind of looked "down" upon by social norms.. ie: we are the pervs that like to look at naked women... AND ADMIT IT PUBLICLY.. lol But you get my point... we can get lots of discussion as long as we stay civil... IMHO. Granted we wont fix anything but we can shed light or perspectives or other narratives for people. Maybe this discussion will move out into our daily lifes and foster more discussion. Hell maybe I am having a midlife thing... i did watch Bill and Ted's excellent adventure last night and you know... "their music saves humanity"... lol
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    Discussions on TUSCL about race in the past have gone the way typical discussions about race go; not well and usually divided - an anonymous un-moderated site like TUSCL is not a good venue for this type of hot-button topic.
  • skibum609
    6 years ago
    Do my job for over 35 years and you quickly learn that despite appearances, people are all eerily similar.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    Using the logic that it is okay for black people to use the word nigger but not for whites is like saying it is okay for white people to use the word cracker but not blacks.

Why is it that the only people I ever hear using the word cracker are black?
  • Bj99
    6 years ago
    ^ leave it to flag to make a good point.
  • shadowcat
    6 years ago
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    DeNiro didn't 'get away with it'... that was a movie. An actor reciting lines because it's his job is a little different (not to mention, in the clip, he literally asks "can I say it?" before he says it.)

Plus DeNiro likes dark meat. His wife is a black woman. Lol.

Idk why so many non-black people want to congregate and discuss the use of the N word and determine who they think should say it and who should not. Looks stupid. This is a stupid thread.
  • chessmaster
    6 years ago
    I agree with nina
  • chessmaster
    6 years ago
    And i agree with cflock.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    Sticks and stones may break your bones, but if you use the "N" word someone might bust a cap in your ass.
  • rattdog
    6 years ago
    ahh here's the thing - if those stupid fucks don't want white people to sing along on stage using that fucked up word - i dunno maybe like start writing songs without using that word in the first place?
    attribute this to parenting that wasn't tough enough at home. if a kid said that word in front of an old school parent you can bet that parent would smack that kid right upside the head.
  • Electronman
    6 years ago
    The defining feature of racism is when different standards of judgment are applied based on race. If the N word is deemed offensive, then all races should refrain from using that word. That standard should not be applied differentially, based on race. As good as Kendrick Lamar is (and his album Damn is excellent!), he too should be held to the same standard regarding the N word as everyone else. If you want to combat racism, then don't be a racist-- that simple.

For the record, I have not used the N word in over three decades.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    If you are looking to incite, using that kind of speech is the equivalent of yelling fire in a crowded theater, it’s that simple.
    Don’t care what anyone thinks, it’s not a free speech issue, you are free to use whatever words you want, whenever you want, but don’t be such a numbskull, and think that the reaction you get is unjustified.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    There is something to be said for common sense and common decency.

Honestly, I don't understand why some people feel such a need to use certain words that they get upset and defensive that some people can use the word but they can't.

But getting back to the original post. I don't think that reciting lyrics indicates that the individual is using the word in any offensive way unless they were the one who wrote the lyrics. To me, singing is mostlying mindless without regards to what the words mean. Ella Fitzgerald made a career out of singing
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    Damn, accidentally posted that early, but you get my gist.
  • crsm27
    6 years ago
    Nina....

My point isnt who is allowed and who isnt. I know words are offensive... Just like the word "retard" is offensive to some and to others it isn't offensive.

My point I am trying to make is when people are reciting song lyrics and just singing along with out any malice or ill will. Then get "corrected" or "shamed" or "disciplined".... Look how social media blew up over this whole thing. And the white girls sports team that disciplined for singing along with lil dickie song. My thing isn't that going against what music is about.... Freedom of expression and freedom of speech?

Again this is why I give K. Lamar lots of credit. He didn't blow his top or anything. Just said, "i am not comfortable". Which is what people should do when get offended by things. Not go "postal" but just kindly voiced his concern. He also let the girl stay on stage and gave her another chance to sing with him.
  • crsm27
    6 years ago
    twentyfive...

Again in the article and what I am talking about isn't someone who just threw out the word towards a person of color. They were reciting song lyrics with the artist who wrote the song. HUGE DIFFERENCE. Or the other example they were singing along with a song. Like thousands of people do on an hourly basis and how thousands of other people do and post on social media of them singing. Again another difference that just throwing out the word randomly or in a negative meaning.

But I do totally understand some words you just dont use in society or around certain people.
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    "he too should be held to the same standard regarding the N word as everyone else."

But racists still use the word against black people. So blacks should refrain from the word to be nice, even though racist people are going to call them that anyway?

I already explained in a other post why the N word means what it means to black people and I don't want to keep going over it. It used to be solely a term to exert power over a black people and imply that they are less than. Then black people took the word and made it theirs so it doesn't have *as much* power to hurt them, and white people are still mad. White people will still sit around and make a long thread like this, talking about how THEY don't think black people should use the word.

If you were at a neighbor's house and heard her daughter call her "mommy," would you start calling her "mommy," too? Would you be offended that the neighbor doesn't want you to also call her "mommy," or would understand why she doesn't want you to call her that? Or would you insist that since the daughter is calling her that, then you should be able to as well?

Another question, more importantly, to the people here is why do YOU care? If you are not black and not racist, why are you so up in arms about it, anyway? Do you WANT to use the word or something?
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    But it's okay to use "ho"?
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^only if you add -ah.
  • Subraman
    6 years ago
    I agree with Nina, at least to a point. AS I said, number one rule is, just don't say the n-word, there's almost no context where that's ok. Not worth arguing about whether the n-word should deserve this sort of special treatment, where some people can say it and others can't ... I'm one of the least PC people I know, and even I think that for historical reasons, such treatment is justified.

It's a completely different argument about Lamar's actions. He is a giant steaming piece of crap for bringing a white girl on stage to sing his song, knowing that in the heart-thumping excitement of it all a smitten very-young woman who he'd personally encouraged to sing along might drop the n-bomb, and then turn the entire crowd against her. She should not have said it (see rule #1 above). He is a steaming pile of crap for engineering the entire situation (probably SPECIFICALLY to get this kind of publicity) and then not issuing a pass but rather fucking up her life.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    @Subra I was thinking exactly that, but I’ll go a bit further he’s a creepy fuck and he took advantage of a young girl just crest a fiasco in the hope he’d get some additional publicity. A genuine scumbag.
  • crsm27
    6 years ago
    Nina.... agree with you 100%... but...The reason why I care and bring it up is because of today's society... People will get effected by it. Look at this girl... her concert going experience and possible future of her life (since getting blasted all over social media and the regular media) could effect her. Now will people think she is racist? Will others actually do harm to her or will this keep her from future jobs?? People were harsh towards her on social media....

Now should people now act??? If a person is singing to a song and the N word is in it. Then it is heard by someone else that they are singing the song.... now they could get blasted on social media, fired, discipline actions at work or school, shunned, physically hurt, etc. That is why i bring it up!

I am not trying to make it ok for people to use the word. I am just making a statement on where is the line going to be drawn? Like i mentioned... this is becoming a situation that is happening more and more often.
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    This is a situation where the white girl should have thought "maybe in front of this black artist and his majority black crowd, maybe I shouldn't say "that one word." To me, for a white person, that should be common sense. She also could've asked, but maybe she was too star struck. It's not like he kicked her off stage.

My best friend of 11 years is white --- a normal white girl, not the kind that tries to act ghetto --- and she never uses that word. She thinks white people, ALL of them, sound dumb when they say it. We love old school rap like Tupac, Biggie, old school Snoop, Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, (etc), and she sings along to every single word except the N-word. It's not that hard. I even told her once that I personally wouldn't have a problem with it, but she still did not say it. It was a personal and conscientious choice she made a long time ago.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^That still doesn’t change the fact that Lamar engineered the situation for his own personal gain!
  • ppwh
    6 years ago
    The irony, of course, is that the use of the word in this context is the clear result of embracing the culture, yet people are bending over backwards to interpret it as somehow suggesting otherwise.

Bhad Bhabie dropped some wisdom on this general concept -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3rYXr5G…
  • crsm27
    6 years ago
    Nina...

Another question for you. Lets say a person is in a play... take Huck Finn or Tom Sawyer (or any other play/script/etc) where the "n" word is used. Should the person reciting the lines not say the "n" word? Just curious. Now I am not saying in a movie where you get payed. But a community theatre?

Again I am asking where does the line get drawn?
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    And whether he did or didn't, it doesn't change the fact that there has become a larger subtopic of the thread, which is the use of the N word. Some people are saying even black people can't say it. For a lot of black people, it's part of their culture. The only part of white culture where it is a thing is when an -er is added at the end for a racist implication.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    Music is art. The lyrics are part of what makes it art. All of it.

Michaelangelo's David is a masterpiece. Should they wrap a towel around him to cover his junk when certain tour groups come by so as not to offend?

• crsm27
    6 years ago
    nina... totally agree... I am not saying who can and cant use it. What I am getting at is how music is a freedom of speech thing. Look at how 2 live Crew broke the mold, how "gangsta rap" pioneers broke the mold. Hell even go how heavy metal and others broke the mold and paved the way for more "free speech". Yet when someone is singing along to lyrics.... The lil dicky example of the girls on the bus.... then this one with K. Lamar.... to an artists song it is now wrong? where do people draw the line.
  • crsm27
    6 years ago
    flagooner... 100% correct!!!
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    Crsm27 - Are we really discussing whether using the N-word is acceptable if someone is getting paid vs volunteering at a community theater? Is that was your discussion is down to? What does it matter? This girl was a fan onstage. She wasn't the performer. Nor was she an actor. I mean, think of how many white people use the N-word in Quentin Tarantino movies alone. They are doing their job. Are you trying to compare that fan to that? It is not anywhere near the same thing.
  • crsm27
    6 years ago
    yes/No... about the paid thing was at someone's comment about DeNiro.... because it was OK because he got paid.

Also you can compare it to "reciting" lines... one is in a play/movie... the other is to a song. So yes/no they are the same thing. Both just reciting lines.

Like I have said... where do you draw the line? If it is ok to say in movies and plays. IE: reciting lines... how is someone singing a song now bad?

Again when the song is not in malice, ill will, or meant to inflict harm or degrade someone. It is just singing.

• ppwh
    6 years ago
    > This girl was a fan onstage. She wasn't the performer.

I think this is the point - by all appearances, she seems to have thought she had been accepted into a culture that she looks to have fully embraced. Kicking her out of that culture because of her skin color is the only racist action I see in this incident.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    6 years ago
    Black people/artists hotly debate this issue amongst themselves and really haven't reached a consensus. If they can't agree, then we're not going to do any better.

That music doesn't appeal to me, so it's less of a struggle for me. Regardless, I just don't use that word unless it's clearly in the context of discussing race as a topic. Outside of that context, it's a minefield with a lot more mines than field.

I don't feel like I'm being politically correct in not using that word in casual conversation. I'm simply not being an asshole.
  • Bj99
    6 years ago
    I don’t get why ppl don’t want the white ppl who listen to this music to say the n word in public, when we all know they do it in private, and no one cares. Maybe it’s just my thinking, but I prefer someone be real around me, than show me some kind power play ‘respect’. It actually turns my stomach to imagine ppl censuring themselves in my presence, out of social stigma fear.

They are the same ppl w the same thoughts and feelings, whether they sing the word as it is in the lyrics, in public, or not. Why not just be okay w them?

Tho I truly think no one should put the word in songs, but not getting to sing a song as it is just sucks, so everyone does it when alone.
  • Jascoi
    6 years ago
    society is sometimes hypocritical.
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    Ppwh - She is not a part of that culture, though, unless I missed something about her being adopted by black people or raised in a majority black neighborhood where the N word was said all the time.

Crsm27 - are you asking me or are you asking Kendric? I've already given an example here of where I told a white person I know that I do not care if they say it while were singing songs together. I am not Kenrick or a black man as Kendrick is. I'm not going to speak for him, it's his choice what he says in his concert. He wasn't belligerent, and he let her stay up there. Maybe it was to send a message. I have no clue, but he got people to talk about it and he wasn't mean about it.

If you are white and for some odd reason you really just WANT to say it (because let's be real, this wouldn't be a discussion if some white people wanted to be able to say it because black people can), be ready for the repercussions because a black person may not take kindly to it and might want to make an example to show that it still is not ok.
  • ppwh
    6 years ago
    > ppwh - She is not a part of that culture, though, unless I missed something about her being adopted by black people or raised in a majority black neighborhood where the N word was said all the time.

Ok, fair point with this girl on stage. She definitely doesn't sound like she grew up urban.

The interesting aspect of it to me is hip hop having influenced mainstream culture to such an extent, it's hard to see this type of incident as anything other than someone thinking it's OK to participate because they actually like what they're emulating.

Destroying a life over that just seems cruel.

FWIW, I wouldn't be on stage or off saying the epithet for any race.
  • crsm27
    6 years ago
    nina... what I am getting at is where do we as a society have to draw the line.

Again how would you feel if eminem invited a black man up on stage and stop him when he used the word Cracker.

1. Do you think it would be ok for eminem to stop this man from singing along to one of his songs? Personally I would feel eminem is in the wrong.

2. Do you think social media and people should be up in arms about the person singing along with the song used a racist term? (cracker is a racist term)? Again I think people should mellow the fuck out.

That is the point I am getting. BTW i know u dont care and because you know the person was singing along not being racist. But others are trying to make it racist.

That is why I brought up this discussion... where do you draw the line as a society? How it shows our society cant rationalize things anymore. They need to sensationalize.

BTW... thank you for your input on this discussion.
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    Eminem doesn't use the N word in his songs, so speaking about him in this discussion serves no purpose unless you are respecting him for not using the N word as a white man. He already admitted in one of his songs that the music he raps is straight from black culture. Kudos to him for being respectful to black culture, but your question is moot. And have you see his movie, 8 Mile? He would've laughed if someone called him a cracker. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume Eminem uses words like "cracker" and "honkey" to describe himself, just like he called himself a "piece of fuckin white trash" in the movie which was based on his life... If Eminem were black he'd be saying "I'm a black ass hood nigga!" etc. So actually, you bringing up Eminem helps my side of the discussion. Lol.

Eminem and I are both from 8 mile, although he mostly grew up on the north side (Warren) which is on the east side. I've lived on 8, 7, and 6 mile before but always on the west side. Always. I'll make exception for him, he cool. But he's a lunatic, too.
  • crsm27
    6 years ago
    No it doesnt at all!! You are so far off it isn't even funny. I used Eminem because he is a white rapper.

Let me pose it differently so you dont get confused...

If a white rapper/singer used the word "cracker", "Honkey", "White trash" in their song. then invited a black person up on stage to sing the song. Then stops the black person and says, "I am not comfortable with you using that word." Is that right or wrong???

that is the point!
  • ime
    6 years ago
    She was singing his song his lyrics it would be more awkward if he she skipped words. He wanted so press from the virtue signallers and got what he wanted. This is all just marketing. STAY WOKE
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    Those terms are exclusive for white people, so if a white person is uncomfortable with a non-white person using it, and asks/tells the non-white person not to use it, the non-white person should stop using it. It is simple. If they wanna be an asshole, they can continue to use it, but don't expect good treatment if someone has already asked you to stop or told you it was offensive... DUH.

And as a side note, while "cracker" and "honkey" are derogatory, they're not nearly as historically offensive as the N word so don't get it confused.

Oh and Eminem was a horrible example, he is proud "white trash" and guess what now he's rich as fuck (although crazy) but he hasn't forgotten where he came from and what his life was like... I'm glad Dr Dre took him under his wing a little for his come-up. Kid Rock may have been a better example. Just saying...
  • crsm27
    6 years ago
    BTW... in my white rapper example...

The white rapper is in the WRONG!

• crsm27
    6 years ago
    BTW... I am not confusing the terms or saying historically which is worse.

So now you are saying only certain people can sing certain lyrics?? What I mean is if the white rapper said only white people can sing the word "cracker" of my songs.... is that correct or wrong??

Again my take isn't about using these words in casual settings or conversation. It is when you are getting rich and famous for your writing/lyrics skills and performance of these lyrics. You can now dictate who can sing/enjoy them??? Isnt this going backwards for equality???
  • crsm27
    6 years ago
    BTW... what K. Lamar did was say only people of color can sing his song in its complete form.

• twentyfive
    6 years ago
    @Nina As someone who never uses that word I think using it is terrible and hurtful and says more about the user than the the person they are talking to, I would ask for the same common courtesy and ask people to not do acts that disrespect our flag, that too is extremely offensive to a subset of people who have died or been horribly injured defending this country.
    Maybe a little common courtesy is not political correctness, but rather the difference between good manners and acting like an ass.
  • shadowcat
    6 years ago
    I think rap was invented just so that the "singer" had a way to use the "N" word. It damn sure isn't music.
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    This has nothing to do about the flag. Some of you guys are reaching.

The girl was kinda dumb for saying that in front of 30 thousand people, many whom are black. Period.

And it's also funny that people here insult Kendrick Lamar's music, insinuate that it's trash, when they probably have never taken time to listen to his work. I don't listen to a lot of today's hip-hop, but I know one of Krendrick's albums won a Pulitzer Prize. That's a huge deal, especially when the only other recipients of the Pulitzer Prize did classical or jazz. No other person's genre has earned them that title until Kendrick, so listen to his music before you try to insult it.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^So you don’t think anyone else has an issue of any importance. I guess it’s just a matter of who’s ox was gored! SMH
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    What???
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    ^ "This has nothing to do about the flag."

Please use a capital F when referring to me, thank you.
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    Stop being an enabler for twentyfive's lack of logic but trying to gloss issues over with humor.
  • shadowcat
    6 years ago
    I did listen to the one that got him the Pulitzer before I made my post and I still call all rap/hip hop just garbage. I grew up with some great black singers that gave us Rock & Roll, R&B, Jazz and POP.
  • crsm27
    6 years ago
    she dumb to sing a song with the artist? Sing the song of the artist she was there to watch and admire?

Again I am not saying L. Kendrick is wrong for saying he is offended or not comfortable. It is his choice. But it is also showing that he is a hypocrite. If his music and the expression of his music is freedom of speech. Then people reciting his music is expressing his free speech.

I wont even touch on how it is hinting at racism... ie: only people of a certain color or non color (using my example of a white rapper) can sing certain lyrics. It is censorship based on race.... which is racist.

Because I know from previous discussion how some think only a white person can be racist. When anyone can be racist.

• twentyfive
    6 years ago
    @ Nina I have no lack of logic, I think you have trouble seeing past the tip of your nose.
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    It's not racist for black people to reclaim as theirs a word that was used again them for a substantial part of history, mostly by whites, to remind them that they are/were socially inferior.

Again, I can look at both sides. If I were 100% white, I probably wouldn't use that word, especially around strangers. If I was 100% black, I can see how I'd get offended when people who are not black try to say it for fun when people of that same ancestry used that word to oppress black people.

If someone is offended by derogatory terms for their race, they have the right to ask others not to use it around them or explain how they feel it's not okay. Just like the person who uses the word can choose to continue to use it, or listen to the person and not use it.

I think if someone who is part of a societal minority wants to tell you how they feel about an issue that offends them regarding that, the best option is to just listen to them.
  • crsm27
    6 years ago
    @twentyfive...

bring up the Flag is kind of on point with what the NFL did today. People will say what they did will be infringing on the players "right" to protest and "freedom of speech". Yet I agree 100% with the NFL. Because they are there to do a job. If you or I or anyone would protest during work hours we would get fired, fined, etc. Now if they players want to use twitter, interviews, etc. to voice their concerns and issues. OR not be on the field during the national anthem. then so be it. It is their choice.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^None of that was my point though, my point was simply that is an issue that many people get emotional about just like this one, and if you aren’t just trying to be offensive, there is nothing wrong with being polite, that is a far cry from being politically correct. However if offending people is your goal, well then have at it.
    Just don’t act all surprised when you get your ass handed back to you.
  • larryfisherman
    6 years ago
    We’re making this issue more complicated than it needs to be.

If there’s a word that’s offensive to a certain race I’m not going to say it, regardless if that offended race chooses to use it among each other. It has been told many times that blacks use the n word as a term of endearment among each other. I don’t feel like that because they openly use it that it gives me the right to openly use it. Mexicans use the term “beaner” around each other, but I’m not going to use that word because it’s offensive to Mexicans. Pretty simple.

Of course with singing lyrics to songs is a little different. If I’m not black, and some of my fav songs have the n word in it, in private of course I will sing every word to the song, but I won’t do it in public, just out of respect. Kendrick Lamar put her in a bit of a tough spot, because he brought her on stage to see if she knew all the words to his song. In her mind she’s probably thinking Kendrick gave her the green light to use the word because she’s just trying to recite all the words.

If I’m white the real issue for me is why are Latin people allowed to openly use the n word in public and in their songs (Cardi B, Fat Joe, Dj Khaled, Tekashi 69 just to name a few), but white people aren’t allowed to do that? That’s getting a little off topic though.
  • crsm27
    6 years ago
    Nina.... I am not saying anything about reclaiming a word. I am saying he only wants certain people of color to sing that part of his song! He is uncomfortable when a white person sings that part of his song... he called out a white person for singing that part of his song. He might not think that it has or was something that can be looked at as racist but it is.

Just like if a white rapper did the same with the word cracker. It is saying only a certain race can sing my song to the fullest. Only a certain race can enjoy my song in its entirety. It is censorship by race.

Just like those white girls singing along to "freaky friday" by lil dickie and Chris brown. Was it distasteful... maybe... was it poor judgement to post it to social media... maybe. Should they have been punished.... NOPE. Teaching moment... yes.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    I don't see why anyone feels a need to use the word or gets upset when they are told not to use it.

I have never walked in a black man's shoes so I don't have the same perspective.

But I do think intent should be considered when the word is used. I can understand him being offended hearing a white person use the word, but i think that type of reaction is a bit over the top when it is obvious that there is no intention of malice.

I THINK he was hoping she would use the word so he could feign offense and stir up this publicity.
  • crsm27
    6 years ago
    Larry...

I have not once said it is ok to use racial terms in convo or otherwise. I am getting is that she was singing "HIS WORDS"... that is the issue. He is censoring his own music. He is offended by his own lyrics... it is just the person delivering them.

If he heard a tape of a person just killing his song on the mic. He praises the delivery of that song...Then found out they were white? How would he react?

• flagooner
    6 years ago
    ^ Hmmmm. Good point.
  • crsm27
    6 years ago
    The more i think of it now... I believe it was publicity as well.

But like I have mentioned... how far is too far to play "being offended" card. Where do we as a society have to stand up and call bull shit! Now K. Lamar never cried racism at this girl. But many on social media have.

I myself am saying K. Lamar didn't straight out call "racism"... but he is back handedly doing it. He is saying who can and can not sing or enjoy his songs to the fullest.
  • larryfisherman
    6 years ago
    @crsm- I was talking to the people in the thread that said black people shouldn’t use the n word, or if they do, then white people should be able to use it too. If you notice I said Kendrick Lamar put her in a tough spot.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    Do Jews call each other kikes as a term of endearment?
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    LFM - DJ Khaled is Arabic, not Latin.

Latin people can be black. Most Latins have an African/European/Native mix. Cardi B is Caribbean and also black. She identifies as both black and Caribbean, but looking at her, I see a girl who is black and a lil bit something else, if I had to be specific.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^not funny
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    It wasn't meant to be funny. It was meant to show how ridiculous I find it to use a derogatory word as a term of endearment.
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    Crsm27
    "Nina.... I am not saying anything about reclaiming a word. I am saying he only wants certain people of color to sing that part of his song!"

But I'm talking about people reclaiming a word... and those people are black... which means they are people of color.

They can sing his song however they want. But when they're at HIS show, in front of HIS fans, they should also use common sense. Save that N word for when you're around people who know you, who aren't offended.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    It wasn't the best way to illustrate that in hindsight.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    Maybe he should have used the common sense you refer to and not invited her up one stage to sing along if he was going to get offended by it.

That's why I think it was a publicity stunt.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    BTW, @25

I'm sorry for offending you in that manner.

I don't mind offending people, but that was not an appropriate way to do so, regardless of it being unintended.
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    "That's why I think it was a publicity stunt."

Perhaps it was, yet it turned into a discussion about the use of the N word here in which stupidity was displayed.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    ^ I was thinking the same thing.

Why did you make those comments?
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    Great to make jokes when you can't refute my argument...
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    I agree with a lot of what you wrote.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion