tuscl

IP Addresses

founder
slip a dollar in her g-string for me
Should I post ip addresses with each post and comment?

82 comments

• AnonymousJim
    6 years ago
    No thanks. I like anonymity.
  • TheeOSU
    6 years ago
    I agree with Jim. Nobody posts their real names address or phone numbers here and I don't know of any forum that posts IPs.
  • RandomMember
    6 years ago
    I don't like being accused of posting under an alias when it's not true. However, with proxys, posting IPs is not foolproof. Maybe a web developer out there has a solution.
  • TheeOSU
    6 years ago
    No alias? So you're saying your real name is randumbmoron?
  • rh48hr
    6 years ago
    No
  • RandomMember
    6 years ago
    ^^^ Everyone here understands the issue: you've decided to accuse me of posting as @realDougster even though it's not true. Stating the lie enough times is apparently catching on with @BJ, so I'm raising the possibility of technical way to resolve the issue. I'm not a web developer, and maybe it's not possible.
  • JuiceBox69
    6 years ago
    Brilliant idea founder let's do it and see what happens lol

• Subraman
    6 years ago
    IP address revelation: everyone here but founder is juicebox69

Also, founder is juicebox69
  • jackslash
    6 years ago
    No
  • HungryGiraffe
    6 years ago
    No. Revealing IP addresses would quickly chill discussion forum participation on the site, in addition to creating personal security issues for users.

I don’t see the problem with aliases. Most of the time it’s easy to figure out who the original member is behind an alias, just based on the alias’ agenda or point of view.

In general, the folks who creatively use the site and bring humor add a lot of entertainment value here. Unfortunately, they can be annoying at times, and even cross the line.

For example, I’m no defender of SJG, but I think it’s terrible to out the guy’s real name and other personal info. That was out of bounds, even though SJG stupidly set himself up by using the same username across multiple sites. Although we all have a responsibility to protect our own privacy, in cases like the outting of SJG personal info, action should be taken by Founder to deal with the line-crosser.
  • clubdude
    6 years ago
    No
  • Jackmd
    6 years ago
    NO
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    6 years ago
    @founder... What is your basis for or desired end result in posting IP addresses?
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    6 years ago
    Right. I found the thread. This is to make it easier to spot trolls.

Possibly not a valid solution (setting aside privacy issues), via the use of Tor or VPNs. But, it would require extra steps for the troll to stay "undercover", which may be a deterrent.

A similar but less invasive solution would be to post the city / state / country using (but not revealing) the IP address.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    6 years ago
    I would prefer the ability to up-vote or down-vote discussion topics or individual posts as a means to increase or decrease their visibility.

A solution that might require less programming is a "Mark as Spam/Troll" button. If a user accumulates X number of demerits in Y amount of time, then they lose the ability to post to the forum for a set number of days.

You already let users vote on review content. Letting users weigh in on forum content seems like a logical next step.
  • FTS
    6 years ago
    Just incorporate a feature that shows if a username, in a given discussion, has the same ip address as a different username. e.g. troll2 (aka juicebox) <-- in this example user "troll2" has same ip as user "juicebox."
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    I'm pretty sure @founder was being facetious.
  • shadowcat
    6 years ago
    I wouldn't have any use for it. So no.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    6 years ago
    Yeah... perhaps. I'd still like to see users given the ability to rate discussion content in some way.
  • Uprightcitizen
    6 years ago
    Nope
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    Subraman figured it out already - so we should step aside and let Juice and his multiple personalities take over. Lol!

I don’t care as much about outing trolls - as I care to remain anonymous - so my answer is no.
  • Huntsman
    6 years ago
    No.
  • shailynn
    6 years ago
    No! I would get in major trouble if they find out I’m using the Chuck E Cheese Wi-Fi while I’m at work. I’m supposed to be cleaning the balls in the ball bin right now.
  • Warrior15
    6 years ago
    I'm gonna vote No also. But I think you have the consensus already.
  • TheeOSU
    6 years ago
    ^
    I hope you weren't at Chuck E Cheese meeting up with vince. :D
  • azdd
    6 years ago
    Please no! If you can't control the trolls any other way, then revisit only allowing VIP status members to post.
  • max_starr
    6 years ago
    What I have seen done is....after the username indicate the number of usernames on the same ip (2) and possibly make the (2) a clickable link to show the usernames.....
  • Warrenboy75
    6 years ago
    IP address would limit but not 100% stop multiple accounts....especially for the big city boys and girls........but as Flagooner stated and I agree I think the founder is pulling our legs.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    6 years ago
    @max_starr... That could work as well.
  • Dominic77
    6 years ago
    I generally like to know WHOM I am addressing. I don’t really care that people troll or adopt funny personas. So what @FTS suggests is really what I would be after. I would even pay for VIP to get this (hint , hint). I realize I am not going to get it because here in Tuscl people are professing things that are illegal or would cause problems if outed to SO, family, or friends. There needs trump my curiosity. Still, I like to know whom I am addressing.
  • Dominic77
    6 years ago
    Their not there. Damn autocorrect
  • max_starr
    6 years ago
    yeah give us VIP dup detection....lol...
    honestly though I barely pay attention to the trolls...
  • RandomMember
    6 years ago
    What I have seen done is....after the username indicate the number of usernames on the same ip (2) and possibly make the (2) a clickable link to show the usernames.....

VM does love those meeetups. Now we know why!
  • Dominic77
    6 years ago
    @randommember, it doesn’t stop the really motivated trolls from staying anonymous either with technical prowess or financial means. But it would out the lazy, dumb, or broke trolls at least.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    6 years ago
    "I had something like that in mind, too. But how does this stop someone using proxies to hide his IP address?"

It doesn't. But it adds steps to trolling, which may discourage some (especially the less tech savvy).
  • georgmicrodong
    6 years ago
    I’d rather you didn’t.
  • houjack
    6 years ago
    Do something like post a hash of the IP maybe? To stop stalking dudes from doing geoip lookups.

Maybe the first 10 hex characters of the sha-3 or blake2b hash of the IP or something.

You could also use a salt, just for giggles.

Example: first 10 char of blake2b(IP+"tuslcsecretcode")
  • shailynn
    6 years ago
    “I hope you weren't at Chuck E Cheese meeting up with vince. :D”. - classic response!!!

No, I’m just at work, taking out the trash now, getting ready for a birthday party at 4:30 today.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    What FTS & max-star mentioned - flag active user names that have the same IP addr and display the linked user names w/o giving the IP addr
  • shailynn
    6 years ago
    Well, Juice and I sometimes share the same computer at the YMCA so that’ll fuck everything up.

You can bet your ass I’m Clorox wiping the fuck out of the keyboard after Juice is done with it. Fucking Arby’s sauce everywhere!
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    You don't share condoms, do you?
  • Clubber
    6 years ago
    founder,

If your plans are to quickly shut down TUSCL, then yes, do it!
  • Subraman
    6 years ago

Papi-->"What FTS & max-star mentioned - flag active user names that have the same IP addr and display the linked user names w/o giving the IP addr"

Ya, that, or post a one-way hash of the IP address

I suppose that might at least reduce the number of trolls to those who know how to use a VPN or anonymizing proxy or whatever. Still, I think some of our more intransigent trolls would go through the effort
  • Dolfan
    6 years ago
    I do think some sort of identifier would be useful, if it can at least be pseudo anonymized.

While showing IP's may achieve the goal, which isn't entirely clear to me, there may also be some unintended effects. Either folks voluntarily censoring themselves, or being somehow harassed into it, leading to a limited discussion forum. Its arguable weather such a thing would be a net positive I suppose, but I'd prefer not to be in that situation.

Also, with the prevalence of free wifi and smartphones, I think IP address is too simple of an identifier. Shaylinn's example of sharing PC's at the Y may be just a joke, but its not that far fetched. I've read a number of reviews of folks and known I've been at the same club at the same time or at least the same day. It's not too much of a stretch to think we could both post a comment from the same club's wifi on the same day or at least close enough where we have the same IP. Papi's mentioned posting from Starbucks, and I've done the same. Again, it ain't too far fetched to think we're both at the same starbucks over the course of a few days or even on the same day. It's not just Papi, I know I hit the same clubs as Twentyfive as well as a few others who are active on the discussion side and certainly more in the comments of clubs.

Like others, I think there would be some value in doing something to identify sockpuppet/troll/multiple screen names. Perhaps storing a hash of a browser fingerprint as a user attribute, then putting a little (*) next to users with matching hashes indicating some suspicion? We could then click the * and see a little table of users with the same browser fingerprint hash, but not the fingerprint itself. Maybe a little blurb about it not being 100% an indicator that they are the same user. I just checked my phone & my desktop, both were unique of about 700k in the database at https://amiunique.org/fp, seems a lot more likely to be effective than just IP. Hashing it keeps me from being too concerned about you displaying the fingerprint itself publicly and keeps it from being interesting info for anyone to ask you about or target in any sort of attack.
  • founder
    6 years ago
    So I guess the consensus is a big fat "NO"? ;)

Now please stop whining to me about aliases and people posting mean things about you. Grow up, put on your big boy pants, and ignore the trolls. FFS, it's a strip club site.
  • lolruned
    6 years ago
    ^

This would be a horrible change to make. I don't know of any website that does this
  • Dominic77
    6 years ago
    @founder: well played, sir. well played. ;)
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    No worries @Founder. I value anonymity more than I care about silencing trolls.

Thanks for thinking of ways to keep the site useful.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    I think there's been some good suggestions for a happy-medium where the person's personal info is not displayed but still flagged when using aliases - it doesn't have to be all or nothing but it can be improved from where we are now IMO
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    6 years ago
    ^^^ What Papi said. ^^^
  • skibum609
    6 years ago
    Posting ISP addresses is lame.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    NO!

Please don't post IP addresses. Often these can be traced very close to a front door, certainly to employers. No message boards post such. Only the top admin gets to see it, because they are the one who might do something about it.

As it stands now, I would not worry about sock puppets. Not that important.

SJG
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    Hmmm, if he posts IP addresses it sounds like SJG might not visit any more.

Conundrum
  • jester214
    6 years ago
    Founder, you say that after you got rid of a few trolls who seriously disrupted the discussion board for years. Bring a few of those types back and people might decide they do want IP addresses published.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    Publishing IP addresses would hurt everyone.

SJG
  • TheeOSU
    6 years ago
    " Grow up, put on your big boy pants"

Problem is that whiny little bitch realrandumbmorondougster doesn't have any big boy pants and if he went out and bought some they would clash sticking out from under his little girl dress.
  • RandomMember
    6 years ago
    Back from work changing bedpan, @osu?
  • RandomMember
    6 years ago
    Back from work changing bedpan, @osu?
  • TheeOSU
    6 years ago
    Back to being a keyboard warrior after your cries for a safe space went unanswered realrandumbmorondougster? Moronic pussy!

Looks like you've been lurking all day anticipating my response, only a troll would do that.
  • mjx01
    6 years ago
    no
  • wiffle shwaffle
    6 years ago
    No, but doing so could encourage more reviews. Like, after posting five reviews, your IP address is no longer visible to others.
  • sinclair
    6 years ago
    I'd love to know which usernames are coming off the same IP addresses. Exposing the people with multiple usernames may force some of them to quit all of the trolling and stupidity.
  • Ch3ll
    6 years ago
    What would be achieved by associating a user with their IP address each time they post? Would it be whatever IP you first see them come from and then forever associate with that user?
  • what00001
    6 years ago
    Please no. I just logged in to post my first couple reviews from some recent visits, but I'll be waiting until a definitive "we're not sharing your ip address, ever" is given.
  • Bj99
    6 years ago
    It was a rhetorical question..
  • founder
    6 years ago
    Never say never. Just don't be a complete attention whore, and your IP address won't be posted.
  • what00001
    6 years ago
    Got it, so anonymity is not guaranteed here? I emphasize with annoying people (had to use that ignore feature myself a couple of times), but it's a bummer to hear anonymity is not guaranteed. While I think I "should" be fine in the context of "don't be a complete attention whore", that's not really an objective policy. To me it reads "site retains right to share private info about users if we wish".

I love the site, and its reviews, but i'm going to pass on posting reviews myself, or participating in discussions.
  • founder
    6 years ago
    If it's any consolation, that's the only time it's happened in 25 years of running this site.

• Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    This is an extreme case. I think it’s possibly one of the only ways to silence this one spammer.

He’s a true attention whore - and he can’t control how he attempts to find attention.
  • Lone_Wolf
    6 years ago
    No.
  • orangepicture
    6 years ago
    From his coordinates, I've driven past his house a couple times when in Pittsburgh for work. Small world.
  • Jascoi
    6 years ago
    How do I change my IP address? asking for a friend.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    @founder I understand your frustration, and I don't believe that was a serious question, lets just reserve that as your nuclear option. These folks are mostly just having fun, some of them are stupider than others, and some are just plain aggravating,
    That guy had it coming to him, I thought Dougster and his multiple aliases deserved a shitstorm as well, but your power is diminished if that is your only recourse.
    My opinion for what it's worth.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    ^ "Just don't be a complete attention whore, and your IP address won't be posted."

Are you saying you are going to post Nina's IP address?
  • founder
    6 years ago
    Seriously flag? We expect our stripper members to be attention whores.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    Good point.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    Seriously though founder. I'm infatuated with her and want her coordinates.
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    That’s a good point - regarding a double standard. A hot dancer throwing it out there would be fine with me.

It’s odd that Trucidos didn’t try to post as s dancer?
  • RandomMember
    6 years ago
    @Flag's location, Sunnyvale Rest Home. A place for active seniors:

https://www.agingcare.com/local/sunnyval…

• flagooner
    6 years ago
    Sunnyvale? Amateurs

I'm at the Villages.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-…
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    6 years ago
    Huh. Something dramatic happened here while I took a couple of days off.

Your privacy isn't *guaranteed* here or any place else online.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion